The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of choosing which watches to wear at the beach and was wondering what forum members' experiences have been with the effects of sand and other beach debris on exhibition casebacks?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi,
The answer is an obvious no-no. :(
If you really want to wear a watch while for example, building sand castles, I suggest you choose one that you don't really care about - and certainly not one with an exhibition caseback.
Cheers,

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's a definite no-no! You remember how it was when you were a kid, and as an adult...you came home from the beach, and you found sand in the oddest of places? ::) ;D

Sand has that uncanny way of making its way into every crack :)) and crevice. AND what is sand, but tiny rocks crystals...that could scratch the caseback, the crystal, the steel...just about everything.

Angelis :)

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I don't even wear my diving watches if I am on a sandy beach. It's a struggle to get the sand out of the crown, bezel...
mix it with water proof sun tan lotion, and then it will take hours to get rid of the sand :eek:
on a sandy beach, I wear the cheapest beater I have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
DRoyal said:
I am in the process of choosing which watches to wear at the beach and was wondering what forum members' experiences have been with the effects of sand and other beach debris on exhibition casebacks?
The exhibition back is less likely to give you problems at the beach than the threaded portion of the back, crown and rotating bezel. Sand, UV lotion, etc., will work their way into crevices and cause a real problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a quartz watch I bought on vacation (paid too much, you all know the drill). Of course I had to wear it immediately. It had pretty smooth bezel action on the day I bought it. The next day, I wore it in the surf - lots of shell debris in the water, which of course is what beach sand is mostly. The bezel now is locked up so tight that I don't even try to rotate it anymore. I get it set at 12 and leave it. And I kick myself for being that dumb...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound advice from everyone. Thanks! Looks like it will be a G-Shock for the beach and a something different for the evening on the deck smoking a cigar and drinking a martini.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
good point, but dont use any G with open sensors like a Riseman, because sand will boldly go where no other sand grain has gone before...
???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts