The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever "grown" into a watch? Got any evidence of WISdom in your formative years?

Not sure who posted the previous thread asking us to take a trip down memory lane but I have to admit it was fun! At the time, I was scanning a bunch of dad's 35mm slides and came across a couple of yours truly wearing the second watch he ever owned and yes, it was a Seiko! It was Christmas 1966 when I received a Sportsmatic from my Godfather. I remember two things at the time; 1) man this thing's huge and 2) oh, it's made in Japan...Funny how things change, eh? I still have the watch and in my quest to get it fixed, i stumbled on to SCWF a number of years ago. So who cares what the stars are sportin' in the movies? Let's see what YOU were wearing before becoming a famous WIS! Without further adieu here's my own personal WIS sighting;

Circa 1967-1968

Here's the watch

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: Ever "grown" into a watch? Got any evidence of WISdom in your formative years?

Yeah seems like a little nostalgia is among the forums these days.
Great story, and even better that you still have the watch.
I have no pics of my youth with the Timex I got. My first watch, and it was a Timex sport diver in the early '70s. I don't remember what model it was, but have a vague recollection. That watch was indestructable, and I put that watch through some hard times. I guess I needed a g-shock back then. And here I am looking to buy my first g-shock any day now. hehe.
I'd like to find that Timex someday, I've been unsuccessful in all my searches thus far. :(
Sentimental keepsakes are invaluable and having them keeps the memories alive. ;)

Thanks for sharing Russ.
Dave.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: Ever "grown" into a watch? Got any evidence of WISdom in your formative years?

sharkfinDave said:
I'd like to find that Timex someday, I've been unsuccessful in all my searches thus far.
My experience is almost identical - my first watch was a Timex, I think it was called a skin diver. What I remember was that it looked like a Rolex sub, was mechanical, and had great lume. Oddly enough, I'm drawn to mechanical divers now, and they have to have great lume. Some things never change. ;)

I've not been able to find a duplicate of my first watch either, even though I've searched Ebay periodically for years. I sure wish I could remember what happened to that watch, it definitely left a mark on my psyche.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Many of my friends back in the 70s had a Milo or Nesquik divers watch. It had a black and a green bracelet / case, and the movement, dial etc was encased in a clear plastic housing so you could click it into either the black or the green case. It had a rotating bezel and was the defining moment of my WIS career. If have spent ages searching for one again - if anyone has any info please pass it on! I remember I had a kids Timex and an Omega dress watch which I tried to mod into a diver using tipex and a felt-tip pen :-[

·
Registered
669 Posts

Nice pics, Russ. I don't have access to any pictures, but I recall a Bulova Caravelle (hand-me-down from my dad) and then my first dive watch, a Casio DW1000 (pre g-shock), folowed a couple years later by a Seiko diverthat was lost (a 6309 slim case, IIRC--didn't know anything about the models then). But it wasn't until I had a Seamaster that I started to develop a deeper interest in watches (about 1995).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts