The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the grave yard have to do with watches you may ask !! well............

When i was a kid i watched many of the Tarzan films and they were often looking for the fabled grave yard for the ivory.

This often comes to mind when i am looking for vintage bracelets because of the number that come with out end pieces !! is there a collecting community out there some were that just collects end pieces ?? or a grave yard that they all end up at ?? so frustrating. :)

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Maybe we need a day when everyone posts photos of the many vintage bracelets and bracelet fragments they have in their parts bag. Maybe out of that many of us could actually assemble a complete bracelet or two out of what were once scraps! O:)

TheTigerUK said:
What does the grave yard have to do with watches you may ask !! well............

When i was a kid i watched many of the Tarzan films and they were often looking for the fabled grave yard for the ivory.

This often comes to mind when i am looking for vintage bracelets because of the number that come with out end pieces !! is there a collecting community out there some were that just collects end pieces ?? or a grave yard that they all end up at ?? so frustrating. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
vacheron_nl on the Bay always has a bunch of odd end pieces, cases, case backs and bracelets. It's a bit of a pain to search his offerings but one never knows what's lurking in the corners.

Be careful, however. This guy has no concept of how to pack for mailing once there are more than a few items in a purchase. I made the mostake of not telling him to pack the four lots of bracelets I purchased in separate parcels. He tried to send around three pounds of metal in one cardboard envelope. What I received was the address label, nothing else. When I reported this to the seller and eBay I was told I was on my own.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's simply, that they got easily lost, imho.
If you take a non-WIS, that got his bracelet replaced by a strap, he might not take too much care of it and the end pieces simply got lost over the years.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
vacheron is a she :) and from the Netherlands.
Shall I drop her an email about this, it's a bit stupid to loose parts in transportation.

swedefreak said:
vacheron_nl on the Bay always has a bunch of odd end pieces, cases, case backs and bracelets. It's a bit of a pain to search his offerings but one never knows what's lurking in the corners.

Be careful, however. This guy has no concept of how to pack for mailing once there are more than a few items in a purchase. I made the mostake of not telling him to pack the four lots of bracelets I purchased in separate parcels. He tried to send around three pounds of metal in one cardboard envelope. What I received was the address label, nothing else. When I reported this to the seller and eBay I was told I was on my own.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
robbie409 said:
vacheron is a she :) and from the Netherlands.
Shall I drop her an email about this, it's a bit stupid to loose parts in transportation.
No need, Robbie. This was a couple years ago and long past any resolve. It's a shame, though, as nearly a hundred bracelets were lost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will personally make a remark;
the 3 sales (two lots of 20 bracelets and one set of lug-ends), were bought 14 May 2006.
All three sales were refunded, 10 july, through Paypal, 52.47 us $. If you need a transactionID, let me know.

Do not tell half story's about me,
thank you,
Mrs Albertine

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes Tiger frustrating i must say... Have some that i love but are missing bits and bobs that are not to be found :(

But i think NL is the country im going to have to visit as it turns out to have a great deal of parts hidden away in it's corners and even some great WIS's that are most helpful when in need.. AINT THAT RIGHT Rob :D hope you got the photos i sent you of the movement !

Svand

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Svand said:
Yes Tiger frustrating i must say... Have some that i love but are missing bits and bobs that are not to be found :(

But i think NL is the country im going to have to visit as it turns out to have a great deal of parts hidden away in it's corners and even some great WIS's that are most helpful when in need.. AINT THAT RIGHT Rob :D hope you got the photos i sent you of the movement !

Svand
The thing is Svand we are all hoarders whether we mean to be or not, we just can't help it, we save that odd spare or what ever in the hope one day we will have a use for it and as often as not we don't and we even forget we have it (well i do) and that part/spare could well be the last piece in some ones jigsaw/project.

But sometimes that part/spare we thought we would never need we do and then it makes us more into hoarders as it has been proved we do really need to save all those parts etc and so it goes on. :) ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
The thing is Svand we are all hoarders whether we mean to be or not, we just can't help it, we save that odd spare or what ever in the hope one day we will have a use for it and as often as not we don't and we even forget we have it (well i do) and that part/spare could well be the last piece in some ones jigsaw/project.

But sometimes that part/spare we thought we would never need we do and then it makes us more into hoarders as it has been proved we do really need to save all those parts etc and so it goes on. :) ;)
Could not have said it any better John............. So to put things right YOU now have to put all your bracelets/parts up for sale straight away so i can hoard on :D he he he he

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Svand said:
Could not have said it any better John............. So to put things right YOU now have to put all your bracelets/parts up for sale straight away so i can hoard on :D he he he he
:)) :))

I would love to go to a bracelet swap party as i do have some good bits and bobs of bracelets and i do need some good bits and bobs of bracelets to give me complete ones, such as i have a nice beads of rice but no end pieces, two GREAT LM special bracelets but both need a couple of links and on the other hand i have the odd "rare" spare link for such as Bell matics etc etc

Lets face it as collectors we are hoarders, i jokingly said to a mate of mine he was a hoarder and he denied it but if i was to get in his spares drawers then i would feel i HAD found the fabled Elephants GRAVE YARD !!! :) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts