The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice watch!
I have never used YJ but every time I visit Japan I find so many vintage watches from my list it is hard to keep the budget!!!

Sent from my SM-G950N using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I am interested in purchasing a watch from Japan but haven't due to the unknown import duty and additional taxes. Please let us know how you make out on that front. Love the watch. El Primero is something that has been on my list since the beginning.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It’s a beauty! Can’t wait to see better pictures when you get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Poet Laureate
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buyee had the regular shipping option greyed out, but is still offering DHL, or economy overseas. I went with DHL for about $50.

·
Poet Laureate
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am interested in purchasing a watch from Japan but haven't due to the unknown import duty and additional taxes. Please let us know how you make out on that front. Love the watch. El Primero is something that has been on my list since the beginning.
Turns out there is an import duty on anything over $800. You have to fill out a form breaking down the value by movement, case and strap. Assign most of the value to the movement and its not too much. $65 in this case

·
Registered
207 Posts
DHL follows the rules on that stuff. I've been whalloped by them for imports coming to Korea, enough to negate the savings of buying some things from out of country (like shoes, bicycles). I guess the system works.
Nice purchase. I have the El Primero Chronomaster Power Reserve LE. Mine is kinda fancy, yours is much sportier and the bracelet looks great.

·
Poet Laureate
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you know how to fill out the breakdown, it's not that bad. The movement is a flat rate of $1.53. Then I think it's 5% on the case and 6% on the bracelet or something, so as long as you attribute most of the value to the movement, it's cheap enough. That may not work if the case and/or bracelet are precious metals (you have to disclose the material for both). I don't know if they check or not if you're telling the truth about the materials. It's clear though that the breakdown scheme is meant to heavily tax folks importing precious metals. For steel, it seems they don't blink an eye if you attribute 90% of the value to the movement

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you know how to fill out the breakdown, it's not that bad. The movement is a flat rate of $1.53. Then I think it's 5% on the case and 6% on the bracelet or something, so as long as you attribute most of the value to the movement, it's cheap enough. That may not work if the case and/or bracelet are precious metals (you have to disclose the material for both). I don't know if they check or not if you're telling the truth about the materials. It's clear though that the breakdown scheme is meant to heavily tax folks importing precious metals. For steel, it seems they don't blink an eye if you attribute 90% of the value to the movement
Rats! Wish I'd known this first - just paid $90 import on a late 90's quartz Seamaster. Which still doesn't add up with the percentages you list - it looked like nearly half of the import cost was DHL fees to facilitate the customs transaction. In this case, though, even at $90 import I think it still will pencil out to a fair all-in cost for the watch...

PS...Lovely Zenith you've got there :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts