The Watch Site banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks.
My dad had 2 watches lying around since like..well, the seventies :D and he knows I am "into" watches so he gave them to me.
One of em is actually kinda of cute, an Edox Delfin, look at the nice helmet shape case!

some specs:
stainless steel
"superwaterproof 20atm" , hehe ;D
numbers on the case back: 602.2302.4
swiss automatic, with date.
It's from the seventies, that much I know...

I have never opened a watch before, the only thing I did is replace straps on my own watches..so I decided to carefully remove the "fixo flex" bracelet (which is broken anyways). The springbars are all black, could not remove them so I let them be...
The crown still turns, dials and date can be set without too much effort, which is good. The watch does not run, however. Something tells me the oil dried up somewhere around...1983 ;D

This one is cute enough (and small enough for my women's wrist) to spend some Euro's on to repair/clean. Can anyone tell me more about this watch and the movement or have some suggestions about whether or not the watch is worth spending some money on? Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Chances are that it will have a ETA movement fitted, it might even be handwindable as well, but until the back is taken off there isn't going to be much more than we can tell you about it.

You could try placing it on a gentle heat source (radiator) to see if that will make the oils slightly more viscous. You never know, it might just start ticking again.

It isn't going to be very valuable, and will need a new crystal and a case polish, so its going to be down to how much sentimental value you place on the watch as to whether its financially viable to get it fixed up.

There's a similar looking ladies delfin on ebay at the moment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
catflem said:
Chances are that it will have a ETA movement fitted, it might even be handwindable as well, but until the back is taken off there isn't going to be much more than we can tell you about it.

You could try placing it on a gentle heat source (radiator) to see if that will make the oils slightly more viscous. You never know, it might just start ticking again.

It isn't going to be very valuable, and will need a new crystal and a case polish, so its going to be down to how much sentimental value you place on the watch as to whether its financially viable to get it fixed up.

There's a similar looking ladies delfin on ebay at the moment.
Thanks a lot for the advice..will try and see if a little more heat will have some effect. Do not have anything to open the case lying around..but maybe something will turn up in the next couple of days.
Will call some jewelers and see what they can tell me about the costs for fixin' this oldie. And it can be a nice practice watch to try some polishing/cleaning skills on if everything else fails. Don't believe in just tossing defective stuff without thinking about other uses for it.

Really appreciate the hint towards eBay, a nice surprise to see there actually is a female version of it, cool!
But 34mm is the smallest I can wear that I believe looks good on my wrist..and not every kind of watch either. Not much of a girlie-girl ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Doh !, now the penny drops.

You don't get many women on geeky watch forums, so when you referred to your "womens wrists" I wrongly assumed that you were a guy with small wrists ............... Sorry :-[

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
catflem said:
Doh !, now the penny drops.

You don't get many women on geeky watch forums, so when you referred to your "womens wrists" I wrongly assumed that you were a guy with small wrists ............... Sorry :-[
haha, don't worry about it, I am quite used to it already ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts