The Watch Site banner

eBay sellers to avoid

84K views 171 replies 52 participants last post by  ewand 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at a recent sub-discussion on the Incoming thread, there's some talk about dicey eBayers who routinely sell garbage. Advice was given to never buy a Pogue from the UK unless you know the seller...

We all know the types - often quite arty and processed looking photos that somehow manage to not convey the detail you need. Flowery descriptions that are the same for every post, with little to no detail of the watch at hand. Some vague disclaimer about "some parts may have been replaced" or "photos form part of the description".

Well, I try to keep a list of dodgy eBayers so that if I see anything from them in future I'll know to be extra wary or to avoid at all costs. Some seem to disappear and then spidey sense detects similar photography styles or description practices in other sellers who show up. I figured it's time to smoke a few out - please share your favourite eBay frankenmeisters... some of us on the eBay from the UK are genuine, you know ;-)

[EDIT - 30 Dec 2021]

OK, thought I'd update this list a little ... many of the old guard have either stopped selling or they've moved on to something else. A few new entrants have joined the list...

eBay continues to make life difficult to spot fakers by removing the ability to look at a user's naming history, so if some of the jokers in the list below change their userID, then you might not be able to spot their history.
If you look at the feedback profile for a user and see
Gesture Electric blue Symbol Font Magenta
then it means they changed the ID recently.
[edit 25 Aug 22 - ebay in their wisdom have decided to make it harder to spot serial name changers]

To find out a user's history just go to https://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserIdHistory&requested=goldentime78 and you can see if they've had previous noms de plume and if so, when they last changed and what their previous name was. Once again, eBay is aiding the shysters by obfuscating old names beyond the most receently changed.

Many are still faking it large, though some have sunk beneath the waves a little and haven't sold anything for a while (marked as (ns)):

(look at the "We Can Not do Warranty for Water Resistance" disclaimer and we can see it's used by asay, mehdi, lily, valjoux-72...
Another, "Due the watches age some parts might have been replaced" has found favour by asay, fara, mehdi/goldentime, goldenlily and sand290...) - maybe they're wising up to the "due the watches age" bit, but still you'll find "Due to its age some parts might have been replaced"

retroo1 | fara-uk / romah1376 (ns) | watchesonsale23 (ns) | salestuff-100 (ns) | mehdi_78 / goldentime78 | mrvintagewatch | lillywatch / goldenlily777 | valjoux-72 | asay_454 (ns) | lily568 | sand290-9 (ns) | omvin-98 / vintagefan2408 (ns) | lukmek (ns) | jo_776993 (ns) | my_ukay_ukay | cesausech_8 | atlaswatchco / legendwatchco | ariuswatch | roxyuk-1 | psrtyinmyhair

Seems to have disappeared:
vintage-n-unique | watches-4-you | perry4035 | pipakee (still selling, but switched to art) |

----------
cesausech_8 - From Venezuela (or is that Columbia?) this time, but using some of the tell-tale phrases as the other fakers. Maybe he's just nicked their blurb, but his watches don't look a lot better...

retroo1 - always nicely photographed, always slyly described. Previous history.

fara-uk - the usual lengthy and repetitive descriptions, including:

Please note: I'm not an expert however I have attempted to describe the item as best I can. However, Please note that most items I sell are previously owned and therefore, they will have some expected signs of previous use or wear. Due the watches age some parts might have been replaced. if you have any doubt please ask before bidding.
With 50 Seiko sales in the last 3 months, I'd have expected a little expertise but maybe that's just me. There are several other sellers who seem to use the same blurb as fara-uk, including romah1376, goldentime, goldenlily etc. Maybe there are people who just lift the descriptions posted by other sellers, but I think it's more likely there are numerous accounts being operated by the same person or group of people...

vintage-n-unique - fairly recent joiner (Feb 19) with low feedback numbers, but already a fair few watches gone under the hammer. See them here.
Very poorly described. Maybe just a dealer who doesn't know any better so you never know, a real gem might well arrive amongst the guff.

watchesonsale23 - shifts a lot of stuff, and a lot of watches, not too many Seikos though. Looking at the various Omega Dynamics I think they are all replacement dial jobs. past history. One Pogue has a whole list of things wrong with it, priced highly and described poorly, with 3/4 of the description taken up with badly formatted T&Cs.

[edit - 19/9/19] - he seems to be upping his game and now has a slew of ropey Seikos all badly described. See this blue 6139 as an example - "This is very rare Seiko Pepsi chronograph ,original Blue dial ,the watch is in very good condition .Please look at the photos for more detial." The dial and hands are most definitely not original, though bizarrely the bezel and bracelet look like they might be.

He's also posting as salestuff-100 with a mix of ropey and overpriced stuff. If you see someone selling Seikos from Bideford, Devon, then watch out - he might have numerous other noms de plume.

mehdaziz_0 now renamed to mehdi_78 and now goldentime78 - another repeat offender who appears to have found a stash of old Seiko & Citizen boxes, as every one of the frankens appears to come with a similarly non-original box. Favours the "due to age, some parts may have been replaced" disclaimer, and "excellent used condition" to describe everything, including the new aftermarket bits.

watches-4-you - floral backgrounds are a useful giveaway, but the dodginess of the stock (previous) and the comical descriptions are usually enough of a tell-tale too. eg, Pogue:

The Chronograph Working Flawlessly. (The Watch It has been Polished ( The Dial & Bezel Has Been Professionally Refinished.) serviced recently and is in fully working order )
... meaning it's got an AM dial and bezel, it's polished to hell, and if it was serviced, the "watchmaker" didn't bother cleaning any of the crap off the rotor, the rust in the movement, etc. Maybe they opened the back, sprayed in some WD-40 and thought "that's me done".

pipakee - not the most prolific seller, but another "some parts may be replaced" and "I'm not an expert, but..." seller, so worth keeping an eye out for in future.

There are lots more popping up all the time - often with the same tell-tale descriptions in not-correct English, Random Application of capital Letters, and usually a disclaimer about not being an expert, due to its age some parts may have been replaced etc. It's quite possible that mehdi / lilly / asay are all the same people...?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
mchuglock - UK seller listing fake Presage 'Cocktail Time' as modified at close to OEM prices.

Described as New, custom modded Seiko ''Cocktail Time'' with brand new parts.

These are now being imported from India and sold at higher prices.

and

magical.cap - need I say more than desk marks, waffle and currently listing a SHORT Z199 as having FULL Links.

#3 ·
Wow- great info gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·

Hmm.. difficult to say about the case. The picture isn't clear enough to be sure. I'm inclined to think the case has probably just been polished to death.

This seller has a lot of watches for sale and this is his only Seiko. Perhaps he took it in part exchange or something? He may not know it is covered in fake and am parts.

#31 ·
You can't. As a seller, you can have a blacklist of buyers you don't want to deal with, but as a buyer there's no way of screening out sellers completely. And given the number of pseudonyms some dodgy sellers go through, it's like a game of whack-a-mole trying to keep on top of them

What you can do, though, is do an advanced search and scroll down to see the "only show items from:" section - the default is to have you filter all the sales to only those from a specific seller or two, but you can turn it around by changing the filter to exclude a list -

So you could set up a saved search and screen out everything from a known list of repeat offenders.

I've updated the first post in this thread with a couple more - and picked up that mehdaziz_0 has changed his ID to mehdi_78.

#35 ·
Good question.

Their target customers are people who don't know much about vintage watches and think they are buying a classic collectors item. When they receive the watch it looks great, and polished to look lovely. They are well pleased with their purchase.

It's a shame so many watches are ruined by these people. It has reached the stage where nearly all vintage Seiko divers and chrono's on eBay are customised or covered in aftermarket parts with a fake dial. It's very hard to find a Pogue or 6309 and 7002 diver in original condition nowadays.

Collectors don't buy watches from these people.

#38 ·
ayer.ala I have done business with him in the past and got a watch that had many defects that couldnt be seen on the pictues. Also sells a lot of watches with fake parts and claims it is original. He's trying to sell a fake 6139-6002 sunrise pogue that he bought from pipakee for 585 pounds a few weeks ago for 2000 pounds now.

#40 · (Edited)
Another name that needs adding, jehanzeb2004

He sells Seiko and has just recently listed a fake Presage. I notified him of the differences over many messages to which he eventualy accepted it was not genuine. He then delisted it and listed it on GUMTREE and Shpock where he sold it for £250...or so he says. Goes by the name Zeb.

One to stay well clear of.

He’s back and it did not sell but at least his morals have kicked in unfortunately it’s still priced too high. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/233354373686

#56 ·
Well it is “super rare”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk