The Watch Site banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts

·
Ultimate Collector
3,161 Posts
I'm a novice, and that Seiko logo plate looks really bad. That's just what sticks out to me. School us on what else isn't right please, it is hard to spot some fakes.
Most 6139-600x on eBay UK are fakes. There are several UK based sellers peddling their crap on eBay. Research before you buy. There are plenty of threads on this forum to help avoid costly mistakes.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Most 6139-600x on eBay UK are fakes. There are several UK based sellers peddling their crap on eBay. Research before you buy. There are plenty of threads on this forum to help avoid costly mistakes.

They're NOT fakes. They're genuine but contain aftermarket parts.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,161 Posts
Call them what you like. In a vintage watch the dial is everything. If the dial is a fake the watch has little value and is no use to a collector. Most other easily removable parts are usually aftermarket too. Many are a hotch potch mix of parts, then polished to within an inch of their lives.

All pretty nasty really.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I feel quite ill.. This one makes me want to throw up.
The dial is a hideous fake, and people are bidding on it for god's sake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...130954?hash=item4b6dd398ca:g:rGUAAOSwvIlduuJT
I feel like there is always a lot "fake" bidding with these auctions. The sellers having alt accounts to bid up the price

Well more than 50% of the watch is fake, bracelet, bezel, dial, hands. Only the movement and case are genuine (in some cases the casebacks are fake too with seikosis fake casebacks).

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
A side note - there's no point in linking to a current auction since ebay seems to sweep their history away after only a couple of months now (annoyingly - sometimes I want to go back and check how something I bought a while back was described at the time - not possible unless you grab a copy of the auction while it's still live. To that point, I'd recommend using the free OneNote Clipper browser extension, to grab a page and keep it in your OneNote for posterity.)

Anyway, here's another doozie - screen grabbed for future ref:

Interesting that Mr Valjoux-72 - whose profile pic is an upside-down Pogue -

... is a recent convert to the ways of eBay, yet his "other items for sale" list is led by a no-doubt hokey UFO with a somewhat familiar backdrop:

·
Registered
917 Posts
That's not exactly a new idea, Ewan. I've been doing just that on my own forum for 5 years and more.
Except I use MS Paint. One little tweak I've discovered is to lower the screen resolution to 1024x768 before taking the screen grab. Not only does it reduce the wasted grey space of the pricing box, but it also somehow gets rid of that useless info box with the 'Shop with Confidence' / eBay Money Back Guarantee b/s AND the Collect Nectar Points box.
Here's a very recent example:

I also take screen prints of the ended results:
SEIKO 7A38-7075 SPEEDMASTER SPORTS 100 RARITY WHITE DIAL JAPAN - COLLECTOR'S 80s | eBay

However, my primary purpose in posting here is to warn against buying any of the many frankened mis-represented botched watches listed by Brazilian eBay seller denguinho.

Here's a partial quote of something I wrote on my forum recently with regard to the above mess:

Brazilian eBay seller denguinho appeared on the scene almost 3 years ago in June 2017. It didn't take me long to make the connection between this comparatively new user ID and their currently dormant watch-botching alter ego, watches.br who have been palming off mis-represented, frequently frankened junk on the unwary punter for much longer - since June 2008. For starters, they're located in Praia Grande, which is a municipality in the state of São Paulo (where watches.br are based). There's the religious (catholic) symbolism of their profile icons; they use an almost identical style, angles and number of photos in their listings; the format of their multi-coloured descriptions are identical and without exception include their favourite adjective: 'impeccable' (regardless of the item's true condition).

·
Registered
78 Posts
How come all of them selling fakes have 100% (or close) positive feedback?
Look and see what else they're selling. There's big sellers who sell a lot of common stuff and dabble in watches. Positive feedback on all the common stuff will drown out a negative rating or two. Add the other tactics already mentioned and the bad watches never show up in the ratings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's not exactly a new idea, Ewan. I've been doing just that on my own forum for 5 years and more.
Except I use MS Paint. One little tweak I've discovered is to lower the screen resolution to 1024x768 before taking the screen grab. Not only does it reduce the wasted grey space of the pricing box, but it also somehow gets rid of that useless info box with the 'Shop with Confidence' / eBay Money Back Guarantee b/s AND the Collect Nectar Points box.
Here's a very recent example:

I also take screen prints of the ended results:
SEIKO 7A38-7075 SPEEDMASTER SPORTS 100 RARITY WHITE DIAL JAPAN - COLLECTOR'S 80s | eBay

However, my primary purpose in posting here is to warn against buying any of the many frankened mis-represented botched watches listed by Brazilian eBay seller denguinho.

Here's a partial quote of something I wrote on my forum recently with regard to the above mess:
I can confirm that watches.br and denguinho are the same seller. For many years watches.br has been the only source for vintage G-Shock Square resin bezels. There's a few guys in Malaysia who took a stab at make them, but to this day, denguinho is the only real source for these on ebay. The quality of their bezels used to be good but they took a drastic drop in the past few years.

Casio Japan recently started making these bezels again after offering a new refurbishing program for vintage DW-5600C squares, but unfortunately 1) it's only for Japanese residents and 2) they don't sell the bezels separately.

with that said, I've never looked at this sellers other items for sale, although I did see that 7a38 come up and can't believe it sold for so much.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

·
Registered
175 Posts
I sold over 30K USD worth of restored Citizen watches on the Bay in 2019, with very few problems. If you are new to timepieces, be they Seiko, Citizen, Rolex or Breitling, you are just begging for it if you buy from an Ebay seller without first checking their credentials. And, if you are naive enough to buy one of these, without first doing some research, you've got it coming.
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 2.17.12 AM.png

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Here's another UK based seller who's not quite got the same pattern as the others, so may be unconnected from the fara/mehdi lots... lukmek - been a member for a long time, but a few dicey watches for sale, like this 6002 Pogue, with rare 6009T 3-line dial...

"When needed for restoration new parts are used to keep the watch working flawlessly " - yeah, everything new on the outside, and no doubt a knackered-looking movement (not pictured) inside...

Oh, and another phrase - "When needed parts have been changed for the full restoration"

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd suggest adding pilitruqui to the list.

What I will say is that having seen this "beauty", it could be the watch to end all watches. They broke the mould on this one. The inner dial. The horror. THE HORROR.

Can anyone lend me EURO 700.00? :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
"Hmmm. That chapter ring looks a bit faded. Where's my Tipp-ex?"

And here's another cracker - the key phrase is "Overall a good watch for an investment or daily use.", a seller with multiple accounts in the UK, Canada and Ireland by the look of things.

The lesser seen Blue dial / yellow chapter ring Pogue, with much of the dial printing missing and a "faded" caseback that looks to have been faded on a belt sander. And an AM bracelet.

"The seiko 6139B calibre looks nice and works fine. All functions work fine. "

Yeah, that 6139B looks great 🤪

61 - 80 of 124 Posts