The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a recent sub-discussion on the Incoming thread, there's some talk about dicey eBayers who routinely sell garbage. Advice was given to never buy a Pogue from the UK unless you know the seller...

We all know the types - often quite arty and processed looking photos that somehow manage to not convey the detail you need. Flowery descriptions that are the same for every post, with little to no detail of the watch at hand. Some vague disclaimer about "some parts may have been replaced" or "photos form part of the description".

Well, I try to keep a list of dodgy eBayers so that if I see anything from them in future I'll know to be extra wary or to avoid at all costs. Some seem to disappear and then spidey sense detects similar photography styles or description practices in other sellers who show up. I figured it's time to smoke a few out - please share your favourite eBay frankenmeisters... some of us on the eBay from the UK are genuine, you know ;-)

{EDIT - 7 Feb 2020

OK, thought I'd update this list a little ... still faking it large:

retroo1 | fara-uk | watchesonsale23 | salestuff-100 | mehdi_78 | pipakee | mrvintagewatch / andyrswan | lillywatch / goldenlily777

Seems to have disappeared:
vintage-n-unique | watches-4-you | perry4035 |
}

retroo1 - always nicely photographed, always slyly described. Previous history.

fara-uk - the usual lengthy and repetitive descriptions, including:

Please note: I'm not an expert however I have attempted to describe the item as best I can. However, Please note that most items I sell are previously owned and therefore, they will have some expected signs of previous use or wear. Due the watches age some parts might have been replaced. if you have any doubt please ask before bidding.
With 50 Seiko sales in the last 3 months, I'd have expected a little expertise but maybe that's just me.

vintage-n-unique - fairly recent joiner (Feb 19) with low feedback numbers, but already a fair few watches gone under the hammer. See them here.
Very poorly described. Maybe just a dealer who doesn't know any better so you never know, a real gem might well arrive amongst the guff.

watchesonsale23 - shifts a lot of stuff, and a lot of watches, not too many Seikos though. Looking at the various Omega Dynamics I think they are all replacement dial jobs. past history. One Pogue has a whole list of things wrong with it, priced highly and described poorly, with 3/4 of the description taken up with badly formatted T&Cs.

[edit - 19/9/19] - he seems to be upping his game and now has a slew of ropey Seikos all badly described. See this blue 6139 as an example - "This is very rare Seiko Pepsi chronograph ,original Blue dial ,the watch is in very good condition .Please look at the photos for more detial." The dial and hands are most definitely not original, though bizarrely the bezel and bracelet look like they might be.

He's also posting as salestuff-100 with a mix of ropey and overpriced stuff. If you see someone selling Seikos from Bideford, Devon, then watch out - he might have numerous other noms de plume.

mehdaziz_0 now renamed to mehdi_78 - another repeat offender who appears to have found a stash of old Seiko & Citizen boxes, as every one of the frankens appears to come with a similarly non-original box. Favours the "due to age, some parts may have been replaced" disclaimer, and "excellent used condition" to describe everything, including the new aftermarket bits.

watches-4-you - floral backgrounds are a useful giveaway, but the dodginess of the stock (previous) and the comical descriptions are usually enough of a tell-tale too. eg, Pogue:

The Chronograph Working Flawlessly. (The Watch It has been Polished ( The Dial & Bezel Has Been Professionally Refinished.) serviced recently and is in fully working order )
... meaning it's got an AM dial and bezel, it's polished to hell, and if it was serviced, the "watchmaker" didn't bother cleaning any of the crap off the rotor, the rust in the movement, etc. Maybe they opened the back, sprayed in some WD-40 and thought "that's me done".

pipakee - not the most prolific seller, but another "some parts may be replaced" and "I'm not an expert, but..." seller, so worth keeping an eye out for in future.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
mchuglock - UK seller listing fake Presage 'Cocktail Time' as modified at close to OEM prices.

Described as New, custom modded Seiko ''Cocktail Time'' with brand new parts.

These are now being imported from India and sold at higher prices.

and

magical.cap - need I say more than desk marks, waffle and currently listing a SHORT Z199 as having FULL Links.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Wow- great info gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"The Prospector"
4,554 Posts
retroo1 has been on that site selling watches under various user names for quite a while, this is the latest reincarnation. i remember a few years back Danni who used to frequent this site, had dealings with him.

·
Registered
994 Posts
One should avoid these sellers because they sell watches with fake parts? I though fake parts are okay now.

Not if you want an all original example of a classic Seiko. Most aftermarket parts are of very poor quality. When restoring a watch, it is best to find original Seiko OEM parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
994 Posts
retroo1 has been on that site selling watches under various user names for quite a while, this is the latest reincarnation. i remember a few years back Danni who used to frequent this site, had dealings with him.

I will say this for him. He cancelled my order, as requested, and promptly refunded my money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Let's not forget mrvintagewatch
He is a serial offender... He only deals in fakes. He has 23 fake Seiko's on eBay right now.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Let's not forget mrvintagewatch
He is a serial offender... He only deals in fakes. He has 23 fake Seiko's on eBay right now.
yes, I have all his and his other account andyrswan blocked out from searches

Both have the same listing format and both from Poole.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
yes, I have all his and his other account andyrswan blocked out from searches

Both have the same listing format and both from Poole.
how do you block out a particular seller's items from a search? that's one that i haven't heard of....

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
AVOID like the PLAGUE. this seller is infamous for selling seiko garbage.

<* shark >>><
Well Sophon does sell aftermarket part specials but he also sells parts and some good watches too.

As a seller he is trustworthy for shipping and accepting returns. So he's one I take with a grain of salt in my book. I will buy from him again but agreed I wouldn't buy much of what he lists either.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts