The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was eying a watch on Ebay for a few days, but the seller didn't ship to my country. After contacting the seller he agreed to change the shipping restrictions and send the watch to me. He sent me an Ebay message confirming the preferences had been changed and that I can make a purchase which I did, but when I tried to pay for the watch I couldn't complete the checkout as the warning saying the item can not be shipped to my address was still there. There were 2 options, to change my address or request a new total from the seller for shipping to my country. I chose the bottom one and the seller confirmed the new total and I received the invoice.

So, as I've never done it before, I thought the only logical course of action once the seller had confirmed the deal would had been proceeding with regular checkout, but the warning saying the item can't be shipped to me was still there. When the seller confirmed the new total I received notifications both to my Ebay account and my email with "Pay now" links which lead to the same Ebay checkout step that couldn't be completed.

I contacted Ebay support three times, with no help whatsoever. The seller offered to send me a PayPal invoice. I was not sure about that because I was sure I was loosing some protection that way. I contacted Ebay again and after quite a lot of bullshit the support guy told me paying the PayPal invoice that I received on my Email outside of the Ebay was the only way. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes but after having spent 4 hours trying to resolve this I paid the invoice from my Paypal account.

The seller shipped the item and sent me a photo and a tracking number, but the payment was still pending on my Ebay account. I contacted support once again, and this time they just cut me off without explanation. In the meantime the item disappeared and I can't see it anymore under my Purchase History.

On the positive side the seller seems like a decent guy with 100% (almost 300) positive reviews, mostly watch related.

I would like to hear your opinion, am I the only one crazy here?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Out of interest, was this from a US buyer using the Global Shipping Programme? GPS considers watches to be prohibited jewellery items when shipping to some countries (like the UK) but doesn't tell you this until you go to pay. I've pretty much given up trying to buy anything from US buyers using the GPS as asking the seller to change shipping methods every time is a nightmare.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of interest, was this from a US buyer using the Global Shipping Programme? GPS considers watches to be prohibited jewellery items when shipping to some countries (like the UK) but doesn't tell you this until you go to pay. I've pretty much given up trying to buy anything from US buyers using the GPS as asking the seller to change shipping methods every time is a nightmare.
No, it was USPS Priority International. Many EU countries and UK were listed as possible shipping destinations, but not Luxembourg where I currently live. The thing is I didn't get any information why I can't complete the transaction except for "doesn't ship to your country". And ebay customer service after showing zero interest to provide information and help me, advised that "the only way to complete the transaction is outside of ebay" which I am sure can't be the company policy.

I spoke to 4 different people from thr helpdesk and it was tragicomic, they don't care and even worse it seems like they don't understand basic mechanisms of the company and website. The worst thing is you can't do anything about it, and you can't talk to anyone except for the next guy in the helpdesk line who cares even less then the previous one. This way they obviously lost the percentage of payment they would have collected if the transaction went through ebay and I lost the security that ebay provides, I do have paypal protection but would prefer to use Ebay and pay with my credit card instead because this way they charged almost 30 Eur for currency conversion.

·
Registered
28,824 Posts
Must be a very special watch to have expended all that time and trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts