The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arrival Update - EBay Bullhead - Did I win or lose?

Just grabbed this off the 'Bay for $250 (only bidder - part of what worries me), I'm thinking I did okay. Dial appears original, faded, and obviously needs a minute counter hand, probably a set of hour/minute/sweep hands if I can as well, but otherwise I'm thinking I have a decent starting place for my 1st Bullhead. I keep seeing excellent examples going for >$750 - $800, so this seemed worth the risk:

Don't worry about hurting my feelings, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Looks ok to me, if a bit rough. Why do you say it needs a minute counter hand? There seems to be one in place, although it might need repainting.

Did the listing say if it was running, or in need if a service?

I'm definitely on the lookout for a good bullhead myself, but I'm going to have to be patient and wait till price and condition coincide at a sweet point.

Best if luck with the restoration.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, admittedly not perfect, but my experience is that EBay pics like this, with a flash, make watches that are otherwise decent look like crap. The fact the lume on the markers is consistent, and aged appropriate (I hate brilliant white lume on a 40+ year old watch), and the dial doesn't look abused (the minute register looks slightly sketchy) are what sold me. Hands and crystals can be replaced, and the case looked pretty decent, but yeah, a better example at a good price needing nothing would have been preferable, but all the ones I really fawn over seem to be $800+

·
Registered
845 Posts
The miss matched pushers would have been a red flag for me. It could be a repair done long ago, but it could also be a sign that this watch was put together from parts in some cobblers bin

·
Registered
8 Posts
It depends of the movement condition. If it's working/seviceable could be a good buy.
You will need two white small counter hands and a yellow second hand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a bit of a Franken. The subdial hands should be white, black ones are nearly invisible and the sweep should be yellow. The pusher has already been noted.

That said, my bullhead came in a very similar setup but with aftermarket dial and slightly polished case and yours seems to be mostly original. After a couple of years, I could fix it with NOS pushers and hands and had the movement serviced. So if it works and you see it a a project watch, it's all fine and dandy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
if the movement is good then you have taken the first very cheap step to a good watch. case looks fine, dial looks fine. just start looking around for the original parts and have it serviced. Id say you did quite well :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm not an expert at all, but I would say you sound happy with it and that's all that matters. It looks great and I think the rebuild will be very enjoyable. Keep us up to date. Good Luck Brian.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did put a premium on an original case and dial, and a movement that could be worked with. Things I could replace if they were wrong (as the hands appear) were ok by me as they're removable.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I did put a premium on an original case and dial, and a movement that could be worked with. Things I could replace if they were wrong (as the hands appear) were ok by me as they're removable.
Just keep an eye out for a brown bullhead with wrong hands and you'll be laughing ;)

Wish I couold help you with some of the bits but alas I dont think I can. Anything comes up I'll let you know though.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just keep an eye out for a brown bullhead with wrong hands and you'll be laughing ;)

Wish I couold help you with some of the bits but alas I dont think I can. Anything comes up I'll let you know though.
It's already scheduled to go to Spencer's for a full treatment. Between hand replacement and painting, I think he'll have it looking correct in no time.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Watch showed up today and surprisingly, has the correct color counter hands, unlike the EBay listing photo. Not sure if they just painted the existing hands (they are pretty white) or swapped in a correct set. Keeping pretty darn good time, I made an adjustment to try and get it closer still, then slapped it on a Fishbone (AM) I also found on the 'Bay.

Is the crystal plastic? Looks like someone took a power tool to it to clean it up.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ha that's interesting.

Yes those hands look painted (the centre part should be silver with a little through hole on it - not too tricky to paint them properly but they always seem to be done like that. But maybe it's the pic and they look correct to you?)

Spencer will have that looking superb by all accounts. I hope we see the after pics!

Sure the crystal should be glass. The sternkruez replacement is ok but sits too high....
....maybe try and get yourself a deal on a proper new glass and outer bezel from Stefan?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts