The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody is going to be disappointed with some of the Seiko's from this seller , ebay item number 251685698281 for instance.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Somebody is going to be disappointed with some of the Seiko's from this seller , ebay item number 251685698281 for instance.
He's always got loads of over polished watches.

Was tempted to buy one once but decided against it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It has always been a pet peeve of mine when eBay seller who sell watches just type things in the description area like " really nice watch in great shape" and nothing more. Even worse are seller who can not even be bothered to post a clear picture! How do these people think they are going to sell anything if you can not even see what you are bidding on?
This seller here looks like he just takes every single watch he gets his hands on, polishes it and puts a cheap leather band on it and then snaps a couple pictures and the same exact description too! It is even more amazing that he has over 2700 transactions!

Michael

·
Registered
171 Posts
Trouble is they are becoming a plague + they appear to have a lot of sales. The worst are the nasty repainted dial merchants with the awful internals.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
"beautiful seiko automatic gents watch (ref # k105),mint"
Well, the strap looks mint... :grin:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
"beautiful seiko automatic gents watch (ref # k105),mint"
Well, the strap looks mint... :grin:
Awesome description there huh? I swear I can't for the life of me understand how these people survive and make sales on eBay. Are there than many dumb people out there buying going "oh look at the pretty watch!" I guess it is true a fool and his money are soon parted.

Michael

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I think he's the guy who was selling a codgel of "Gold Plated" Seikos that were clearly stated as base metal on the case backs. I was thinking of reporting him but couldn't work out how to do it, though a) E-Bay probably wouldn't give a Sh1t and b) they've now disappeared from his listings.

He always lists loads at a time with disclaimers like " I haven't got the time to test them all, it might work if you're lucky".:question:

I wish there was a section in the advanced search that allowed you to exclude specific words , such as "rare", and also specific sellers.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There is a certain country or 2 that id like to exclude in my search too.....

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
In Zak's defence. I have bought a few watches and bracelets from him and have spoken to him via Email and I think he is OK.

You must bear in mind how much you are paying for his watches, honestly what do you expect for £15, which is probably what the item will sell for or not much more. His pictures show the watch well enough, most listings have pictures of the caseback which is helpful for identification and the movement for condition.

This seller operates a low profit margin high turnover operation and when I looked at his stuff a few weeks ago he must have had a hundred cheap watches listed plus other stuff, I can understand why his descriptions are as they are and who can spend time and money providing perfect watches with a business model like this?

He is what he is, if you want an expensive perfect watch go elsewhere and if you are ignorant and only have £15 to spend, well you will get what you pay for and nothing else.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be fair, some of his stuff looks OK, but there are 7S's on there with aluminium day/date discs - so, quite obviously are wrong'uns.
700X movements in a 7S case is not really acceptable, unless there is full disclosure of such.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am only playing devils advocate.

He obviously buys in truck loads of old bangers to sell for a small profit and it is impossible to know every discrepancy and disclose them. Having sad that it is not rocket science for him to look at the movement cal. number when the back is off for a photo and realise it does not match the caseback and deduce that either the movement or the caseback is incorrect.

I still like him though as a source of spares and project watches. Sort of like a Ramone but Zak's watches are not full of rust and work:)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
In Zak's defence. I have bought a few watches and bracelets from him and have spoken to him via Email and I think he is OK.

You must bear in mind how much you are paying for his watches, honestly what do you expect for £15, which is probably what the item will sell for or not much more. His pictures show the watch well enough, most listings have pictures of the caseback which is helpful for identification and the movement for condition.

This seller operates a low profit margin high turnover operation and when I looked at his stuff a few weeks ago he must have had a hundred cheap watches listed plus other stuff, I can understand why his descriptions are as they are and who can spend time and money providing perfect watches with a business model like this?

He is what he is, if you want an expensive perfect watch go elsewhere and if you are ignorant and only have £15 to spend, well you will get what you pay for and nothing else.
I agree with you in the fact that he is not really ripping people off with what he is selling. The prices are in line with what the product is. I guess I just think it would make more sense to add a little variety to your inventory. I mean he sells Seiko bracelets on his site but every single watch he lists looks exactly the same except for the dial? Maybe he is just in it for the money and it is just easier to do it the way he is doing it? I only sell a precious few of any of the watches I take the time to restore and I do my best to make the watch look the best it possible can and keep them as original as possible so to me to just do a "slam bang" job and then throw them up on eBay just doesn't fit my style.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There is a certain country or 2 that id like to exclude in my search too.....

Me too! Here in the states I have had great luck buying from the Philippines. I have bought several hard to find watches at great prices more than once. I also have had good luck buying from the home of many of our fellow forum members in Great Britain but when I see countries like Hungary Russia or the Middle East it dies make me whish eBay had a filter to exclude these countries. Anyone here have any countries that they can say from personal experience NOT to deal with. I use to export Jeep and Chrysler part to Hungary back in the 90's. What a pain in the rear it was to deal with these guys.

Michael

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wish there was a section in the advanced search that allowed you to exclude specific words , such as "rare", and also specific sellers.
Not sure about specific sellers but you exclude specific words as follows:

Seiko 6309 -mint -minty -rare -NOS -flawless

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

I would love to find the person who is responsible for starting the use of the word "minty" when selling item online and give him a swift kick in the family jewels! Ironically almost every add you come across with the word "minty" in the title description the item is typically a beat up piece of junk!

Here is a Seiko Weekdater from eBay model 6206-8990 starting asking price $220 bucks. listed as "great for a restoration project!"

Here is the Seiko Weekdater I bought just last week that I paid $30 bucks for that runs. Model 6206-8980 (same watch mine is SS finish the 8990 is gold tone)

Michael

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Gee, I'm dumb today.

How did I miss that option ? Could have saved myself hours of trawling. :38: :banghead:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also have had good luck buying from the home of many of our fellow forum members in Great Britain but when I see countries like Hungary Russia or the Middle East it dies make me whish eBay had a filter to exclude these countries. Anyone here have any countries that they can say from personal experience NOT to deal with.
Excuse me, and than you to Russia is not pleased? Curiously simple.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Excuse me, and than you to Russia is not pleased? Curiously simple.
If what you are trying to ask is would I not buy from an eBay seller that is located in Russia the answer is definitely yes. As well as all of the other countries I mentioned.

Michael

·
Registered
103 Posts
If what you are trying to ask is would I not buy from an eBay seller that is located in Russia the answer is definitely yes. As well as all of the other countries I mentioned.

Michael
Sorry for flooding. They have offended you or just a personal dislike? I am writing to what sellers hours from Russia, I do not know ...) If you know, share the link :) I'd like to see what they offer ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts