The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is a genuine early (1960's) Ricoh? The 'water proof' on the back suggests pre 1970.

Cant find any examples of hand wind, non date ones like it on the internet. Can't say that I'm enamoured by the dial design but couldn't resist it for 99p :cool:. It is supposed to be running, but was wrongly described as 'quartz'. :confused:

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Best of luck

Hope it arrives and impresses. :great:
I found that site, but all appear to be day/date movements :confused:
I suppose I'll have to wait for it to arrive, then have a look at the movement. (probably find out that it's an Indian Franken:rolleyes: )

·
Special Member
4,567 Posts
I just spent over an hour searching the internet. Lots of detective work ...clues: 17J, leaf, dots for hour markers, that red jewel at 12, lopsided nameplate

The leaf signifies the watch was for export. I do think there might have been a fluted bezel which was lost. I saw only 2 Ricohs with those dot markers and both sellers were in India. 99.9% had day or day/date. So, take it from there hahaha! I think it is from India.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just had a message from the seller, saying it wasn't quartz after all and did I want to cancel the sale? I declined the kind offer so it should be with me early next week :).
I spent a similar amount of time researching on the internet and came to much the same conclusions, though what appears to be 'RTL' marked on the watch back, just after 'PROOF' might just mean 'Ricoh Tokei Co. Ltd' which would place the back, at least, around 1962/3.
Must admit though that the dial screams 'Indian re-paint'.
Can't wait to have a look at the movement ;)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh well, you win some you lose some, it has arrived. Opening it up reveals..........a running Indian 'Swiss' hand wind movement. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts