The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

recently a friend of mine was lucky to score this great (and original looking, to me) Speedtimer locally.

It's a pretty early one, with serial dating from June 69, and seems to be in honest condition. He says the case is very sharp and still dirty etc. Came with what we believe is the correct JDM bracelet with signed buckle too?

He's not very knowledgeable on these 6139s and I've been helping him out. He will get the watch serviced, but is worried about the crystal which according to him is hazy/foggy. I haven't seen the watch in the metal yet but he sent me this picture:

You can see what he means... Could this just be dirty on the inside, or could the crystal be hazy/foggy from within itself? If the latter, where can one source an original or correct repro for the crystal within Europe?

Thanks in advance!
Lou

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Make sure he knows these are not easy to service and also make sure to send this to someone who will do this correctly
So many people think it just needs oiled...
That is not even close to what that needs to be performed
There are many excellent members on here who can do high quality work for your friend
Stay safe out there
That crystal can be cleaned and polished for sure and as it is quite rare it should be done as the wrong crystal will detract value in the watch
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I had a watch in last week that the glass looked like this - a good rub of the inside of the glass (crystal!) and it was fine again.
The outside of the glass can be refinished to as new or almost as new. ;-)

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
To be the optimist, the top is perfect and it has oils on the inside that will wipe away.

On the other hand, after 50 years of wear it could be a zillion microscratches on the too surface. We've all seen dozens of vintage crystals like that. If this is the case, get that CRC polished by a pro. If need be have Adrian at Vintage Time Australia (VTA) get the job done.

With the CRC, TAD dial, matte H&M hands, 2 piece sweeper, JDM bracelet, original lume, the whole original package your friend has a truly wonderful SpeedTimer Pogue there!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks like just a bit of antique fogginess and any sort of mild polishing compound would take care of the inside condition. The few visible scratches on the outside can probably be smoothed without undue effort. Nice find for your friend!

Reactions: SennieG

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input guys!

This crystal is very special !

It is a rare original CRC (chrome rimmed crystal). Whatever you do do not throw it out!

It can be polished if need be.
I thought this could be a CRC too (and told him about it as well), but wasn't sure from the photo. I will meet up with him soon to have a look in person :)

Make sure he knows these are not easy to service and also make sure to send this to someone who will do this correctly
So many people think it just needs oiled...
That is not even close to what that needs to be performed
There are many excellent members on here who can do high quality work for your friend
Stay safe out there
That crystal can be cleaned and polished for sure and as it is quite rare it should be done as the wrong crystal will detract value in the watch
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Thanks John, you are right. He hasn't decided where yet but we share a watchmaker who has lot's experience with vintage watches and, in this case, 6139s. He is aware of how careful he should be for that.

To be the optimist, the top is perfect and it has oils on the inside that will wipe away.

On the other hand, after 50 years of wear it could be a zillion microscratches on the too surface. We've all seen dozens of vintage crystals like that. If this is the case, get that CRC polished by a pro. If need be have Adrian at Vintage Time Australia (VTA) get the job done.

With the CRC, TAD dial, matte H&M hands, 2 piece sweeper, JDM bracelet, original lume, the whole original package your friend has a truly wonderful SpeedTimer Pogue there!
Once I can see it in person I will bring a loupe to try and figure it out. Hopefully it's just dirty on the inside.

Thanks, from my research, I thought so too! What a lucky find! I was more excited about it than him when he started asking me questions about the watch hahahah 😁

Cheers,
Lou

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This crystal is very special !

It is a rare original CRC (chrome rimmed crystal). Whatever you do do not throw it out!

It can be polished if need be.
Also, is this chrome ring, replaceable or transferable to other/new crystals? What purpose does it serve on here?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

On the other hand, after 50 years of wear it could be a zillion microscratches on the too surface. We've all seen dozens of vintage crystals like that.
I've had many watches like this and im 100% sure its a haze on the inside of the crystal. Not 100% sure what causes the haze that you see on watches like this. But if i had to take guess id say evaporated lubricants. Its always easy to wipe away once the crystal is off. I'd just wipe off the underside of the crystal and not replace is.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great Kyle! Gonna ask my friend to confirm the CRC with the shots you posted here
;)

·
Special Member
2,770 Posts
Slight detour....based on John's (Member Vette Enthusiast) Excellent Observation on the Outer Ring hash marks going into the Subdial. If you look at this example the hash marks look like they are going inside the Subdial Ring but don't reach into the Subdial :)

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Slight detour....based on John's (Member Vette Enthusiast) Excellent Observation on the Outer Ring hash marks going into the Subdial. If you look at this example the hash marks look like they are going inside the Subdial Ring but don't reach into the Subdial :)
Consulting the T vs TAD Dial thread, yes that appears to be another subtle change from the earliest TAD dials.

LINK: Comparing Early (Feb. to May) 1969 6139-6000 Pogue Dials...... LINK

CRC you say? To me these TAD dial early ones need a CRC to look 'right':

I will say the OPs June 1969 seems late for a TAD dial but I have no doubt about it being 100% original, just more of the usual which is to say there are no absolute rules in Seikoworld.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Consulting the T vs TAD Dial thread, yes that appears to be another subtle change from the earliest TAD dials.

LINK: Comparing Early (Feb. to May) 1969 6139-6000 Pogue Dials...... LINK

CRC you say? To me these TAD dial early ones need a CRC to look 'right':

I will say the OPs June 1969 seems late for a TAD dial but I have no doubt about it being 100% original, just more of the usual which is to say there are no absolute rules in Seikoworld.
I will see if I can get the guy to take a pic of the back of the dial when it goes in for service, to see if it has any date stamp. Would be interesting to know how far removed (or not) from the serial number.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts