The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this just completed early proof dial 6139-6010 from February of 1970. This one is all original down to the early style seconds hand and 17J 6139A movement. The dial, hands and tachymeter ring are 100% perfect, with only the slightest darkening of the original lume which has after all these years lost its mojo. Movement would run and stop on this one when I got her but after a partial strip down, clean and oiling it seems to be keeping great time now, though I haven't measured the reserve yet. This is the first chrono movement that I have tried this on and I am not sure I will do it again, man is it fiddly..

One of these days I must remember to take some before pictures..

I think it came out rather well for a 40 year old :) and the blue dial is just so pretty..

Case was refinished for me.

Sparkling clean 6139 A 17J movement seems to be running well..

[img]

And a pretty naff wrist shot....

[img]

I am struggling however to like this watch as much as I hoped I would. Maybe its the size but I am not 100% sure this is a keeper for me?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow. that blue dial looks great. Nice job on the resto.

Maybe try a different strap or band to see if grows on you before you flip it?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, as much as I like the gorgeous dial, and even with all the work I put into this one, it is just not going to get the wrist time I thin it deserves so I am going to put it in the Trading forum hopefully to trade for something else that will..

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful, so I really like the look on that original bracelet. I think I will pick one of those up and see if this one grows on me.

After some early teething issues with the back cover touching the rotor screw, this one is now keeping consistently fabulous time at about +12 seconds and power reserve is so far greater than 20 hours and probably quite a bit more. Man the tolerances behind the back cover on these is very tight, I note that Seiko changed the back cover design in late 1970 or so to one that makes the watch thicker, but provides more clearance.

speedtimer said:
nice watch,here's mine to share 8) regards to all! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts