The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I know a few collectors who buy many of the same models specifically for trading later when the price goes up rather than to resell. Who knows in a few years I might be able to trade up my one and only 6105 for a decent Speedy pro. Wishful thinking?
Yes wishful thinking, speedmaster prices are also rising. I have always said that the 6105s are the most overpriced seiko models out there. So maybe there will be some sort of price correction after the high prices from the past year or two. We saw the same with the 6138 panda's who dropped in price.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Beautiful 6105-8119

Was observing this auction:

Item no. 174033193718

And was a bit surprised that this seemingly all original, early production and fairly mint condition sold for such a reasonable price.

Is the hype finally over? Or just another one off?

Edit: Sold for $1225 with 100% money back guarantee.

Personally I think this is a Very Nice looking 6105-8119 OEM at a Great Price.
I have read lately about the Prices of 6105s not really that High, I guess the Dozens I see on Ebay $1800 to $2000+ is not Real????? I think Not. I truly Believe when a OEM in Nice Condition is Offered It does not last LONG Only due to the reality that many of us Keep or have kept for years OEM 6105s

First because they are so Beautiful and Second 'I would buy one Feel happy, see another a bit nicer and Buy that one and Before ya know it 12 or 15 are in the Collection Same with 6309s. "Hoarding"? Maybe? That way of describing anyone that finds a Certain Seiko Model Appealing and has the $ to invest is HOARDING. if that's so I have seen some of the most stunning Collections past few days of Alpinist - 6117-001x- Seikomatics - and Beautiful Vintage 6106/6119 Sushis I have come to MY Conclusion that HOARDING may be used when there is Some JEALOUSY-or Resentment rater than admiration for stunning Collections I guess that Word Obviously Bothers me. I guess I'll just have to get over that. Big Smile Russell

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know a few collectors who buy many of the same models specifically for trading later when the price goes up rather than to resell. Who knows in a few years I might be able to trade up my one and only 6105 for a decent Speedy pro. Wishful thinking?

I don’t think it is unrealistic. During my search for a nice 6105, the thought of trading or selling my Speedy crossed my mind more than a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Personally I think this is a Very Nice looking 6105-8119 OEM at a Great Price.
I have read lately about the Prices of 6105s not really that High, I guess the Dozens I see on Ebay $1800 to $2000+ is not Real????? I think Not. I truly Believe when a OEM in Nice Condition is Offered It does not last LONG Only due to the reality that many of us Keep or have kept for years OEM 6105s

First because they are so Beautiful and Second 'I would buy one Feel happy, see another a bit nicer and Buy that one and Before ya know it 12 or 15 are in the Collection Same with 6309s. "Hoarding"? Maybe? That way of describing anyone that finds a Certain Seiko Model Appealing and has the $ to invest is HOARDING. if that's so I have seen some of the most stunning Collections past few days of Alpinist - 6117-001x- Seikomatics - and Beautiful Vintage 6106/6119 Sushis I have come to MY Conclusion that HOARDING may be used when there is Some JEALOUSY-or Resentment rater than admiration for stunning Collections I guess that Word Obviously Bothers me. I guess I'll just have to get over that. Big Smile Russell
You have given a great reply Russell, If I had the money I would own a hundred "_______"

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don’t think it is unrealistic. During my search for a nice 6105, the thought of trading or selling my Speedy crossed my mind more than a couple times.

[email protected]@K I've got a lovely super rare 6105 up for trade. I'm here to take that speedy burden off you. Just say it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[email protected]@K I've got a lovely super rare 6105 up for trade. I'm here to take that speedy burden off you. Just say it.
I've got my 6105s now! Just saying, I don't think it is unrealistic that such a trade could happen. Especially for a really mint 6105. The ones going for $2k have a little bit of black funk in the corners of the lume, some hand discoloration, etc. I think one that has zero signs of any sort of moisture intrusion would be worth a lot more.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I've had a 6105 listed here for months for $2400.

It's the upper limit in this market.

I'm in no hurry to move it and when people look at my lower priced watches....it makes them look like bargains (which they are!) :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
For what it's worth, I can remember a time when nice examples could be had for $300.-$400. all day. Should have held on to them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I currently have two. I sold a beut a few years ago that had a complete workover by Jack, wish I hadn't let it go.

Of the two I still have one is in very nice condition, great case, dial, and insert, keeps decent time. Only problem is the minute and hour hands are aftermarket, one day I'll hunt down an original set.

The other is a bit of a basket case. Decent case, needs a servicing, dial/hands are pretty darn funky, no bezel or click ball, locking peg sheared off.... I'll never get rid of either of them, just love 'em too much.

Arthur

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
For what it's worth, I can remember a time when nice examples could be had for $300.-$400. all day. Should have held on to them.
I get that they were much cheaper back in the day. But we're they also readily available?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I get that they were much cheaper back in the day. But we're they also readily available?
I think really great ones have always been a hard to find. Great case and bezel, sure no problem, beautiful dial and hand, now we are talking rare. These are not nearly as water resistant as they should be, especially over time. As you can't replace the crown seal, the only way to keep them water tight is to replace the crown. And who would have done that? I can tell you, nobody!

So even if they never did a single dive, eventually water makes its way into the case from something as simple as washing your hands with the watch on.

It's the same problem with the 62MAS. Buying a sub-par one is easy. A beautiful one is so much more difficult.

·
Administrator
29,517 Posts
I think really great ones have always been a hard to find. Great case and bezel, sure no problem, beautiful dial and hand, now we are talking rare. These are not nearly as water resistant as they should be, especially over time. As you can't replace the crown seal, the only way to keep them water tight is to replace the crown. And who would have done that? I can tell you, nobody!

So even if they never did a single dive, eventually water makes its way into the case from something as simple as washing your hands with the watch on.

It's the same problem with the 62MAS. Buying a sub-par one is easy. A beautiful one is so much more difficult.
I agree with Dan, the 6105 and the 62mas are not rare but ones with a perfect dial and hand set are rare-ish and fetch a good price and worth it.

Poor examples have increased in value because of the lack of superb examples and many (imo) have been offered way over price in fact ridiculously high prices.

IMO with all vintage collectable watches it is first and foremost all about the dial closely followed by the dial and then the dial :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Well I'm glad the masses don't realise that. I see a great dial with an honest to God beat up case and crystal and I'm all over it. There's always a chance to find a replacement case/bezel but as you and John have stated: a dial is nearly everything.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Well I'm glad the masses don't realise that. I see a great dial with an honest to God beat up case and crystal and I'm all over it. There's always a chance to find a replacement case/bezel but as you and John have stated: a dial is nearly everything.
Exactly.

Here is my favourite. This case is so smashed up. It even has weld slag! But my goodness that freaking dial!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Exactly.

Here is my favourite. This case is so smashed up. It even has weld slag! But my goodness that freaking dial!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Very nice! A real Daini beauty

Want to guess what's under the crystal here? Just got it in yesterday from YJ and not a spec on the dial. Just a very slight hazing on the hand but nothing that can't be cleaned out.
6306-7000

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I measure I agree that os why I had a Screw-down Crown added

I posted about this 6105-8110 many times. That Randall Benson Dr Seiko made. He offered three That he had parts to make ""Hand-wound and Screw down Crown"". I was happy to able to Be One that Did Buy his Offer. I He asked for the best 6105-811x that was had His Offer was contingent on the Person sending His or Hers 6105 811xband said the Nicer you send me the better it will Look at the End of Conversion.Of the two 6105-811x that I have that Hand wind One is this one that Randall made and One other that Pete K in AU Made using the OEM Crown but had to remove the Little Stub that was used to lock the Crown but had very little if any Protection for Water Resistance. The Screw Down Crown I have 100% Faith will be the best protection as far as Crown Water Resistance Like a 6309-704x Only this Crown has Triple gaskets and screws down with Five+ Turns. A Pic

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Three Positions of the 6105-811x That has a Screw Down Crown

I tried to capture the Three Positions of the Screw Down Crown.
First position Unscrew to Pull out and wind
Second position is to set date.
Third Position is to Set Time. Sh

[/CENTER]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I tried to capture the Three Positions of the Screw Down Crown.

First position Unscrew to Pull out

Second position is to Wind

Third Position is to Set Time.

So this watch you posted is an OEM case that has had a screw down crown tube attached?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes I will post a pic of the 6105-811x that Randal sent me before he started the Conv

So this watch you posted is an OEM case that has had a screw down crown tube attached?

. Hopefully This Pic will make it ?/ I keep getting notice My Message is to Short. ............................Russell

This is the 6105-811x before I sent her to Randall for the conversion.
this is pic is for M84 to answer his question about added Screw Down Crown. Before and after.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts