The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was observing this auction:

Item no. 174033193718

And was a bit surprised that this seemingly all original, early production and fairly mint condition sold for such a reasonable price.

Is the hype finally over? Or just another one off?

Edit: Sold for $1225 with 100% money back guarantee.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Was observing this auction:

Item no. 174033193718

And was a bit surprised that this seemingly all original, early production and fairly mint condition sold for such a reasonable price.

Is the hype finally over? Or just another one off?

Edit: Sold for $1225 with 100% money back guarantee.

Good question.

It seems like there have been several 6105-811x's on eBay lately, in various states of condition. In the last couple weeks I've seen a couple lower-end restoration candidates in the $700 - $800 range, a slightly beat-up but interesting proof/proof for about $900, and an allegedly original-owner -8110 that went for a little over $2,000.

As for the one you highlighted, I think it was very badly listed. The auction title didn't mention that it's a 6105-8119, so it may not have popped up in some people's search results. Also, the auction ended on a Monday, which isn't usually a good idea. The pictures weren't great, and the cheap leather strap didn't help, either.

We won't know for a while if this was an aberration or a sign of things to come. That said, my gut sense is that this was a very nice watch and the seller left at least a few hundred bucks on the table. I just hope it went to a collector who got a bargain.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question.

It seems like there have been several 6105-811x's on eBay lately, in various states of condition. In the last couple weeks I've seen a couple lower-end restoration candidates in the $700 - $800 range, a slightly beat-up but interesting proof/proof for about $900, and an allegedly original-owner -8110 that went for a little over $2,000.

As for the one you highlighted, I think it was very badly listed. The auction title didn't mention that it's a 6105-8119, so it may not have popped up in some people's search results. Also, the auction ended on a Monday, which isn't usually a good idea. The pictures weren't great, and the cheap leather strap didn't help, either.

We won't know for a while if this was an aberration or a sign of things to come. That said, my gut sense is that this was a very nice watch and the seller left at least a few hundred bucks on the table. I just hope it went to a collector who got a bargain.
I think you're right that it was badly listed now that I think about it. Whoever got it is lucky.
I get that prices are dictated by demand but the 6105-811X reference is not rare. The prices got crazy with the SLA033 release. They need to come back to earth.

Same can be said for the 62MAS. Not rare, irrational prices.
I too wouldn't call it rare per say but it's the condition that makes it somewhat.. uncommon? These can be purchased any day of the week but to find one clean and relatively affordable is something else.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I too have been wondering this but without any real conclusions. As has been mentioned there have been a lot of 6105s on eBay lately, in varying degrees of condition and pricing... from less than 1k to +3k US.

To be honest, being to the lookout for an honest and clean sample (eventually), I wouldn’t know where the ‘sensible’ baseline would be these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,641 Posts
I've been buying and selling 6105s for many years now. I buy many more than I sell - I rarely sell and normally only sell when I feel my collecting insanity has gone too far. In previous years I have been buying on average about 6 - 10 6105-811Xs per year. Whenever I see a great example at a reasonable price I try to buy it.

This last year I only bought 1 6105 for the entire year.

·
Special Member
2,641 Posts
I agree with the others that the above 6105 looks like a good watch at a good price. I think that the buyer got a good deal and should be very pleased with the watch.

I am quessing some of you guys are curious and probably want to see the 1 6105 that I bought this year?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought two 6105s in the past 30 days. One for $1935 and the other for $1200. The first one was in good (but not pristine) original condition, and the second had been restored from poor condition, relumed, and serviced. If you want to see the ones I am talking about, I featured them in this video (with permission from Guy J):

I don't know if those were "good" prices or not, but I am very happy with both purchases. I don't have the patience to wait around for the best deal or to bid on an auction, so I look for the best "Buy it Now" price available right now. So for buyers like me, I guess the going rate could vary based on the competition at the moment.

·
Special Member
2,641 Posts
Photos on the way Jon!

I'm not entirely sure why I did not buy many 6105-811Xs this past year but I believe it is most likely because I can't find examples that interest me at a price I am comfortable with. I find that the prices keep going higher and higher but the quality of those on offer keeps getting worse and worse. Seiko collectors who own fine examples are keeping while many ebay sellers are offering "whatever they can dig up" 6105s to a hungry market with many new collectors who have only recently become interested in this iconic Seiko Diver.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've been buying and selling 6105s for many years now. I buy many more than I sell - I rarely sell and normally only sell when I feel my collecting insanity has gone too far. In previous years I have been buying on average about 6 - 10 6105-811Xs per year. Whenever I see a great example at a reasonable price I try to buy it.

I miss mine - sell one of the nicer ones to me !!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be very careful... at your buying rate (if my maths correct) you are on course for picking up 24 6105s per year :eek:hmy:

I see a 6105 Hoarder in the making ;)
Ha! No, I have two sons, and I've now got one 6105 to give to each of them one day when they are old enough to care for them. Plus a very nice 6309 for my daughter :).

Now I'm on the hunt for a birth year (1974) Pogue. Don't tell my wife :grin:.

·
Special Member
2,641 Posts
Ha! No, I have two sons, and I've now got one 6105 to give to each of them one day when they are old enough to care for them. Plus a very nice 6309 for my daughter :).

Well Done Sir! Sounds like you have a Very Balanced approach to both Life and Collecting Seikos. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I bought two 6105s in the past 30 days. One for $1935 and the other for $1200. The first one was in good (but not pristine) original condition, and the second had been restored from poor condition, relumed, and serviced. If you want to see the ones I am talking about, I featured them in this video (with permission from Guy J):

Seiko 6105-8119 restored from dead back to life! - YouTube

I don't know if those were "good" prices or not, but I am very happy with both purchases. I don't have the patience to wait around for the best deal or to bid on an auction, so I look for the best "Buy it Now" price available right now. So for buyers like me, I guess the going rate could vary based on the competition at the moment.

Amin, what a great video thank you. Just to say the minute hand was replaced but the seconds and hour are the same ones. :)

Again, lovely video, very kind words and lovely 6105s you have.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sounds like another reason to have more kids more kids = more excuse to buy watches.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I know a few collectors who buy many of the same models specifically for trading later when the price goes up rather than to resell. Who knows in a few years I might be able to trade up my one and only 6105 for a decent Speedy pro. Wishful thinking?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Collectible? Yes. Rare? Not at all, tons of them around. The fads come and go, so many have been seen, posted, etc. it loses the desire after a while. Give it a few years and they'll be outrageously priced.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts