The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
quickly, as it's way too beautiful a day outside to spend it typing away, but
I HAD to share this with "y' all" :grin:

Having learned on this Forum about TheTigerUK's "TST" production of shrouds for the "little brother" 7549-7010 300m quartz "pseudo-Tuna" (IMHO a real Tuna must have a single case, not a screw-back...) I purchased a damaged watch off Yahoo Japan at what I think was a decent price, and today I dressed it up with its new shroud.

From what I can tell, apart from the originally damaged shroud (see pics) the watch was just about perfect, so now it's as good as new !!
(keeping fingers crossed, as it hasn't been opened yet)

Thanks John for producing this lovely (and I assume indestructible) shroud, it has a "steely" appearance which is in contrast with the "satin" finish of the original : I haven't decided yet which I prefer, and may never reach a conclusion, but surface finish is something one can always work on if inclined, right?

Anyway it's beautiful, and a very interesting compare to my everyday 6159-7010 600 Hi-Beat Tuna : less bulky, and fits the wrist very smoothly... but I can't help going back to the engineering / movement comparison, and there the "7010" Golden Tuna is just in a class of its own !

The quartz "7010" will probably go as a present if I find the person whose eyes start sparkling when they see it... assuming I can find one, as most people just think I'm crazy / stupid or both when I rant 'n rave about Seikos :p:p

Cheers to all in shared love of Seiko Divers and other watches, clocks, & all

PS> ugly, blurry pics made with my phone, sorry.

PPS> times between 5:00 and 5:30 not very nice to take pictures, but hey, it's that time of day, sorry ( "it's now or never" , y' know...)

PPPS> arf, bezel was misaligned on first picture due to work screwing on the new shroud. Sorry, cannot take that picture again, the new shroud is there to stay.

PPPPS> sorry also for pics of my hairy wrist, but hey, you've got to admit it looks better with a Seiko on it than naked........ :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
that is a gorgeous watch..Tiger's skills are incredible...it looks like it was with it from day one...great work...John

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
That's a very nice JDM 7549-7010 Tuna and it looks perfect with the new shroud. My JDM 7549-7010 came with a pvd'd shroud so I bought a sbbn007 shroud as replacement. Looks good but it is slightly too tall.

By the way, great 6159-7010 ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...and I forgot to say

that sliding the new TST shroud in place felt like... like... uncorking a good bottle of wine but in reverse? ;)

=> it fits so tightly AND so well that it feels like there is a gasket between the watch case and shroud, which of course is not the case : it's metal against metal but the shroud is so well adjusted it "oozes" in like there was air coming out of a tight container... I have no doubt the watch is 100% protected!

Thanks again John ! I am already wondering if we can keep the whole "outside" as is --TST shroud, case, dial, hands, day-date wheels and all-- but fit a mechanical movement inside?? would be real cool, though it would kill the (almost) all-original value of this really nice watch...

Your input regarding possible switch to mechanical most welcome.......Philip

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Well, it looks like you have your TST and your TTL (Tuna Tan Line) sorted out and both look great. Great work John and Philip !

·
Registered
367 Posts
that sliding the new TST shroud in place felt like... like... uncorking a good bottle of wine but in reverse? ;)

=> it fits so tightly AND so well that it feels like there is a gasket between the watch case and shroud, which of course is not the case : it's metal against metal but the shroud is so well adjusted it "oozes" in like there was air coming out of a tight container... I have no doubt the watch is 100% protected!

Thanks again John ! I am already wondering if we can keep the whole "outside" as is --TST shroud, case, dial, hands, day-date wheels and all-- but fit a mechanical movement inside?? would be real cool, though it would kill the (almost) all-original value of this really nice watch...

Your input regarding possible switch to mechanical most welcome.......Philip

The 6309 and 6306 mechanical movements are a direct drop in for a 7549 case. You just have to use the same stem from the 7549 movement. I have a 7549-7010 that's running a 6309, pretty neat mod. I also switched out to a bronze shroud from John. You can always switch back to the quartz later if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 6309 and 6306 mechanical movements are a direct drop in for a 7549 case. You just have to use the same stem from the 7549 movement. I have a 7549-7010 that's running a 6309, pretty neat mod. I also switched out to a bronze shroud from John. You can always switch back to the quartz later if you want.

Discovering this revival of a very old thread and it's really interesting ...though truth is when it comes to fiddling with watches in fact I start to sweat just trying to loosen out the three screws on a shroud : "dropping" a 6306/6309 movement into a 7549 quartz case is way beyond my reach, but really nice to know it can be done. Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts