The Watch Site banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Definitely restore! I've restored worse (and spent double of what a good example would've cost) but that looks original to my untrained eye.

·
Special Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Many Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Near universal agreement on Restoring :)

·
Special Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
From what I can see from the seller's photos watch will be needing a better Bezel/Tachy Ring and a better Inner rotating ring. I have one spare with a good Bezel but faded Inner Ring. Another spare has a bad Bezel but nice unfaded Black Inner Ring.

Let the Game of Musical Pogues begin :)

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
From what I can see from the seller's photos watch will be needing a better Bezel/Tachy Ring and a better Inner rotating ring. I have one spare with a good Bezel but faded Inner Ring. Another spare has a bad Bezel but nice unfaded Black Inner Ring.

Musical Pogues - love the description !

Been there done that many times over. It's a great way to turn out a great restored watch.

Some guys like to know all the parts left the factory together inside the case. I never understood that sense of purity. I guess coming from a car restoration background might be why.

Fun fun fun and profit for your time !

·
Registered
73 Posts
Restore, please. I adore the 6139, and think we should do as much as possible to bring them back. If it is not possible, then by all means use it for parts. I'm on the lookout for another 6139 to restore myself!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

Yes! Another angel gets its wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
For Those About to Die... We Salute You!

This is a different 6139 Resist than the Resist that is first pictured. This watch was sitting in a parts drawer for a long, long time but as Jon says "fix or part out but get off the pot either way" ;)

We decided to sacrifice this movement so others might live. We used 8 parts from this rustbucket to install in a clean but non-running 6139. The other 6139 movement that was long ago given up for dead is now running perfectly with Excellent numbers on the Timegrapher :)

We also were able to salvage the center wheel and are hoping it is still OK and re-usable and one day we might be able to use in yet another 6139 ;)

·
Special Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The Rustbucket Dial and Hands had significant lume darkening/discoloration and chrome has major oxidation so I'm not sure what I will do with them? Rustbucket case was in decent shape so I will be lightly refinishing the case today.

·
Special Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Case Refinishing

I've seen some of the splendid work by the professional case refinishers with some truly exceptional results with cases looking like new again. My metal refinishing skills are very limited so I'm only trying to clean and freshen up the case. No laser welding or extensive repairs here. IMO this is just a little maintenance to make the case look good again for another 50 years of service.

I am only beginning to learn how to do this but I try to do as little as possible with the goal of maintaining the original case lines and keeping a razor sharp top edge. I think an overly polished and rounded top edge just looks awful and ruins the look of a Pogue. I want to remove as little material as possible.

All the work was done by Hand. No dremel or power tools. The top of the case was lightly sanded and circular rebrushed. Sides were very lightly polished. Done :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts