The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Special Member
Discussion Starter #1
This one popped up on our favorite auction house and I smashed it without even reading the description. At this price I can use the parts - well maybe not the two tone gold jubilee bracelet with the worst fitting end links I have ever seen 馃槃

Vintage Seiko Automatic Chronograph 6139-6002 for parts or repair | eBay

I recently paid $75 for a 6139 original crown, gear, spring, and stem so I always have a use for parts and right now I need pushers. After looking more closely it's actually a pretty nice 6139 and might be a good candidate for a Restore - not that I need another 6139 Restoration Project ;) So many 6139s are getting killed off for parts maybe it's better to keep the decent originals still left out there... Alive.

Restore or Part it Out?

Seller's Photos:

Registered
Congrats Kyle! I saw this listed and considered picking it up, but I gotta handle the projects I currently have. :rolleyes:

I think this could be restored, so that鈥檚 my vote!

Registered
I have a drawer full of similar ones in need of disposition - fix or part out but get off the pot either way !

This one is most likely a great candidate to be restored once you pop it on the Timegrapher and make sure it draws a decent enough trace to sell as a vintage time keeper. If the movement doesn't keep time then she can be parted out easy enough !

Special Member
Discussion Starter #7
I have a drawer full of similar ones in need of disposition - fix or part out but get off the pot either way !
I completely understand. Piles of Parts watches but not the right parts to put together 1 decent watch.

This one has both good and bad (bad Pepsi Bezel with considerable paint loss, overly faded to grey inner ring, and questionable movement (looks like the day wheel is not operating properly). From what I can see Good Dial, Hands?, Case, Crown?, and Pushers. It is amazing how many parts watches are now needed for a good restore using only original parts.

Administrator
How big is the draw Jon ? :)

This one is most likely a great candidate to be restored once you pop it on the Timegrapher and make sure it draws a decent enough trace to sell as a vintage time keeper. If the movement doesn't keep time then she can be parted out easy enough !

Premium Member
I completely understand. Piles of Parts watches but not the right parts to put together 1 decent watch.

This one has both good and bad (bad Pepsi Bezel with considerable paint loss, overly faded to grey inner ring, and questionable movement (looks like the day wheel is not operating properly). From what I can see Good Dial, Hands?, Case, Crown?, and Pushers. It is amazing how many parts watches are now needed for a good restore using only original parts.
Maybe this one could become the parts that others are looking for. Clean up the bits and pieces then offer them to others to fix their watches. I bet you would make more than you paid for the whole thing!

Registered
I vote on a restoration on something like this one. Now you will sink more into it like you say between the inner and Tachyrings. But if the dial is good and the rest isn鈥檛 ruined then that makes my decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special Member
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Maybe this one could become the parts that others are looking for. Clean up the bits and pieces then offer them to others to fix their watches. I bet you would make more than you paid for the whole thing!

That brings up a very interesting question: How would you go about placing a value on a 6139 parts watch?

Let's assume everything is in decent condition (not perfect but not too far gone). For example the inner rotating ring on this one is overly faded but lets assume a decent black color

Case
Pepsi Bezel
Crown/Gear/Spring/Stem
Inner Rotating Ring
Dial
Hands
2 Pushers
Case Back
Working but not serviced 6139 B movement (chrono center wheel OK - resets to Zero)
Other Misc Parts

As we all now know Jewels are now valued at $50 each (properly installed of course) so a 6139 17 Jewel Chronograph is worth $850 just in the jewels alone ;)

Registered
The issue of parting out for profit is eternal. Oftentimes it is done. Can't blame the seller but it is a shame if the watch was good.

I am not in this hobby as if it were my business because that would ruin the while thing for me.

I continue to say the operational state of the movement will play a big role in deciding which way to go with it. It might run like crap.

Registered
Seems like a complete, running Pogue under a few hundred bucks is becoming a rarity. I recently snared a very nice blue -6005 for a little over $200 and felt like a cross between James Bond and Willie Sutton.

There are definitely a few parts that are pushing up the value of parts watches. Non-faded rotating rings, OE pushers, undamaged bezels ... the list goes on. And until the aftermarket stuff becomes truly indistinguishable from OE, demand for these will only get stronger. Lately, I鈥檝e been having a hard time finding OE pushers that aren鈥檛 bent like pretzels.

Recently another forum member and I were talking about how important it is to have a decent stock of movement spares. Whether it鈥檚 a chrono wheel, balance, pallet fork, or just a couple of screws, sorting out one of these complicated movements often requires replacing a part or two. I think this will continue to drive up the cost of parts movements.

Registered
hehehe, i've parted out a near nos (worn once) pogue in the past for it's indicator ring; so, i'll say part that sucker out! I still have the watch and have acquired a nos indicator ring to reinstall amongst the many projects. i think i need to learn how to do this crappola myself - it adds up!

<* shark >>><

Special Member
Discussion Starter #19
hehehe, i've parted out a near nos (worn once) pogue in the past for it's indicator ring; so, i'll say part that sucker out! I still have the watch and have acquired a nos indicator ring to reinstall amongst the many projects. i think i need to learn how to do this crappola myself - it adds up!

<* shark >>><

I recently did the exact same thing. I robbed an excellent condition Yellow Indicator Ring from a perfectly good watch to use in an Early Yellow Gold Pogue that I wanted to finish. Of course, this leaves me searching for another Parts watch with a Good Yellow Ring to replace the one I just robbed. It's a Madness I tell you :)

Restoring Pogues can quickly become a game of elimination like "Playing Musical Chairs" ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts