The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've should have learnt this lesson by now. So why do I still do it??? :-[

Here are some seller's pics of a 6100 (61?) I won this morning. I can just make out from the scratched and abraded caseback that it is from 1969.

I'm a complete sucker for the vintage Seiko movments with shock absorbers everywhere, and this movement looks to be in very nice condition. I've also been wanting a Skyliner, mainly just becasue I like the nam and the old school fonts Seiko used for this series. As for the rest of the watch... :(

Alcohol + nice shiny interesting movement + retro font goodness = unwanted purchase.

The calibre 61 is a 21 jewel movement running at 21,600 bph. It is 27.4 mm in diamater, and 3.5 mm thick. Rather thin then. It was made at the Suwa factory from 1968 - 1973 (thanks Martback!). The main claim to fame of the calibre 61 is that it was used in Seiko's railroad approved pocket watches of the era.

I had been meaning to find a simple and inexpensive manual no-date movement to play with, and this one fits the bill I guess. It's going to be a restoration project of sorts, I'll even pull the movement apart and try to 'service' it. This could get ugly.

Oh well. We live and (hopefully) learn.

K

·
0 Posts
Re: Don't Drink and Bid

been there, done that! your right, drinkin and bidding is a dangerous combo.

·
Registered
162 Posts
same here.... to many times.... also not good to bid while mad at spouse....its not like a dress you can put back and "find" later and say "what this old thing-ive had it forever" :))

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Dial looks nice under the hazy crystal, case doesn't seem beyond redemption and the movement looks clean, I think you did alright.

If I never drank and bid, my collection would be shy a few of my favorite watches. I thought you had to be drunk to go on eBay ???

·
Registered
547 Posts
Technoman said:
If I never drank and bid, my collection would be shy a few of my favorite watches. I thought you had to be drunk to go on eBay ???
:)) :)) :)) :))

Let he or she who has not bid drunk cast the first empty beer bottle!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts