The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else find that sometimes a donor watch is just too nice to use as intended? Been tinkering with an old 6309 729a. It was a bit of a state and I did not anticipate that I would get it working. So I bought a 6309 615a with the intention of using the movement if needed. Anyway after stripping and cleaning the watch it seems to be going great. So when the other one arrived I liked it so much that I doubt I could have canabalised it even if I wanted. I think they are called "tv screen" models. I have been wearing it ever since it arrived. Yet another watch!

·
Special Member
1,903 Posts
I'm with you. Bought an SKX for parts that was advertised as a beat up yellow-faced model - and to my delight an only gently worn SKX173 showed up. For once dishonesty in online sales swung my way!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey i have been there more times that not...people dont see the value like we do...hope you share some pics of it too...i like the those style watches too...God Bless John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad I'm not alone then. I will certainly post some pics if I am able. This one came all the way from India. Can't help but look at it and wonder who owned it, what sort of life they had and where it has been. Actually, don't want to know all the places it has been :) I know there is a way to date these isn't there? I might follow that up too, that is if the number on the case back is the original. It has lost about one minute during the week that I have been wearing it, amazing.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
the numbers on the back...if you have them just add them to next post...it is very easy to help you translate them...God Bless John

·
Special Member
27,999 Posts
Happens to me All of the Time...Then find another donor only to repeat ...Again !!!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
it seems like every time i get a parts watch...i seem to find that it needs very little and i have to find a great home for it...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
This 7546-5069 was supposed to be a donor for a dead 7548... as you can see it's still alive and ticking...

I have three of "those" right now except they are meant for 7546 Diver models I have. One showed up that was a square case which I do not really fancy those cases at all but the watch was so clean and it has the most beautiful deep metallic blue dial on it. I most likely one day will tear it down as I run out of good 7546 movements. Then it happened again with another square dial running a 7546. Looked pretty beat up and sitting in a gold colored case. When it arrived it was very dirty so I blasted it with some jewelry cleaner and grabbed some rags. The darn thing polished right up and I am almost certain the case is actually gold plated because it shines way to good. It was still sporting the original band and all. I did not tear that one down yet either.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is the photo of the "telly dial"
Is that what people call them or have I just dreamed that up?

0201_untitled_007.JPG

And a couple of others that I just didn't have the heart to dismantle. Both are good working watches.

0201_untitled_008.JPG

The numbers on the back of the telly dial are 127078.
What year might this be and how do you read the numbers, for future reference.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Seiko (at least starting in the late 60's) used 6-digit codes, where the first two tell you the year (within a decade, so you'll have to know the time frame your watch was made) and month of production.

So your's is a february '71 or '81.

October to december is O-N-D instead of numbers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here is the photo of the "telly dial"
Is that what people call them or have I just dreamed that up?
Not at all. Bulova made Accutron watches with the same style case.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture on my PC or in photobucket to show you, despite having it as my avatar on another forum.
In the Bulova world it is referred to as the TV dial and case.

Regards

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts