The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I received a sample Sapphire AR coated for my SKX the big difference with this one though is it is domed :)

I like it, what do you think ?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I like the overall look and the AR coating - but I'm not in love with the large gap twixt bezel and crystal. If the outer profile could be modified to be closer to bezel ( like original) - it's a winner.
Good job keeping the crystals available to us at sensible prices though John. :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Domed sapphires are always lovely. I like them very much.

The only thing I don't like about them is when they deform the original dial aperture.

So a double domed sapphire is the answer to keep the dial look original, without any distortion whatsoever. Think the SBBN007 tuna crystal. It is double domed and the dial does not get distorted. I think that if you could get your domed sapphires without distortion, then it would be great.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Domed sapphires are always lovely. I like them very much.

The only thing I don't like about them is when they deform the original dial aperture.

So a double domed sapphire is the answer to keep the dial look original, without any distortion whatsoever. Think the SBBN007 tuna crystal. It is double domed and the dial does not get distorted. I think that if you could get your domed sapphires without distortion, then it would be great.
I will have to stop shining LED maglites in my eyes Chris because I don't see any distortion, i see a great looking (IMO) sapphire upgrade with the added bonus it is domed :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
To be fair to you, I'm not referring specifically to the sapphire presented here in this thread, but to the general ones made for the SKX that I use to see daily on all the different watch foruns. The one presented here I can't say that presents a distortion or not. Maybe a very mild one.

My point is: I like dome sapphires very much, as long as they don't distort the original dial proportions, and I'm sure you know the look I am referring to. ;)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of domed crystals, sapphire being just that much nicer.

I like the vintage look, and I like modern watches that employ a domed crystal as an homage very much too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There are several kinds of domed crystals and sapphire crystals. Some are better then others. This one seems kind of nice John, and in fact it looks like the on the SKX009 I just got. Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like it Tiger. I too like domed sapphires. I chose a Dagaz AR coated double-domed sapphire for my SKX171 mod.

I think I am going to use a Dagaz Superdome kit for my next mod. Can't remember where I found this picture, but I really like the way the bezel insert and crystal work together.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Damn that watch above is EFFIN SWEET!!! Love the way the bezel and crystal marry and the PVD and dial and hands screams class then it's rounded out with PVD mesh .... I'm gonna need a minute...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts