The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you do it?
Do you find it worth it or not?

What do you do when they try and screw your prices down or try to get you to push work through faster?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've got to say mate that although I do repair my watches and some work colleagues watches, I'm careful with what I take on. And this is only because although I have faith in my own abilities im not a trained watchsmith so personlly i wouldnt think about taking on commercial work.
As for the jewelers it seems to me that they might be farming out the mundane work to you and then trying to lower their pay to you to maximise their profits, they will try ad take advantage of you as much as they can because they are relying on your enthusiasm to work on time pieces, thats what i think anyways

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My personal opinion is I do my best to keep my hobby separate from a source of income. I myself would worry once you start to repair watches as a job the relaxation and enjoyment I get out of the hobby will be ruined. Plus this depends on the shop that is sub letting the work out to you. I would be willing to bet the watches that you would be given would be the ones that are the most time consuming ones and the hardest to work on. Unless you know the person is a fair dealer and would treat you right. It will always be tempting to make an extra dollar and enjoy the hobby. Some people can. It is a very tough decision to make.

Michael

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thoughts guys.
I'm a watch and clockmaker by trade and am attempting to make a living out of it!!

A couple of days ago I told the owner (not long bought the business and knows little) of the jeweller shop (an Indian guy - they often try to screw people down:undecided:) that I wouldn't be doing any more work for him.
I also found out that he's tried the same thing with another guy (an engraver) so its not just me.

Now I only have one trade customer and he seems fine so I'll keep him:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Paul.
I feel your pain. The typical markups placed on watch repairs by retail shops is not helping the industry. A markup of 150% is not uncommon. The shop makes more money out of the repair than the people doing the work. If I had my own shop I would refuse to do it.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Paul.
I feel your pain. The typical markups placed on watch repairs by retail shops is not helping the industry. A markup of 150% is not uncommon. The shop makes more money out of the repair than the people doing the work. If I had my own shop I would refuse to do it.

Hi Nick.
150% :mad:
Years ago I worked in a jeweller's shop and they kept screwing their markup up so I left (it was a toxic environment too).
I set up this time not wanting to do any trade work and have more than enough work so don't need it. You would find the same I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hi Nick.
150% :mad:
Years ago I worked in a jeweller's shop and they kept screwing their markup up so I left (it was a toxic environment too).
I set up this time not wanting to do any trade work and have more than enough work so don't need it. You would find the same I'm sure.
That would have smoke coming out of my ears for sure! 150% mark up for sub let work is out right thievery. When I worked in the automotive industry the mark up for sublet work was between 15% and 25% depending on what shop you went to. I would refuse to do work for them too. The whole jewelry industry is mostly a rip off as it is. Standard mark up in most jewelry shops on inventory is 1000% in these parts.
We all know the scam about diamonds too. How come when you buy a nice one karat diamond in a ring it is worth $2000 but if you take that same ring and want to trade it in somewhere else at another jewelry store a month later its worth $150 bucks?

Michael

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
(an Indian guy - they often try to screw people down:undecided:)
Yikes! Do you realize that your statement is directed at more than 1.2 billion people? Are you sure you mean that?

You probably wouldn't make generalizations about Blacks or Jews (at least not in public), so why make generalizations about Indians?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yikes! Do you realize that your statement is directed at more than 1.2 billion people? Are you sure you mean that?

You probably wouldn't make generalizations about Blacks or Jews (at least not in public), so why make generalizations about Indians?
Don't get to far bent out of shape over a remake make in frustration. I doubt you could find a single person on this earth that has not made a comment that was directed at a particular religion heritage or sexual preference.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Don't get to far bent out of shape over a remake make in frustration. I doubt you could find a single person on this earth that has not made a comment that was directed at a particular religion heritage or sexual preference.
You've got me all wrong. :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I didn't type ALL but in NZ (my wife works with lots of Indians in medical work) many Indians do try to screw people's prices down:38: She has an Indian nurse friend who hates working with Indians - mainly because of that attitude.

I do trade work for another Indian guy who doesn't and because of that I'm more than happy to keep doing his work and do a few things for free for him :)

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
well sadly there are people of all nationality who do that....for me...i never try and base any judgement ....i use this as a rule of thumb...just base everything on that person ..the color of the skin is never a issue...makes my life much more simple..treat other how i want to be treated...if they treat me badly...i will even some times stand up for them..but does not mean i will deal with them again either...life is too short not live it to the fullest and why miss out on so many great individuals ...God Bless John
and not everyone should be a boss or work for someone else....and some people need to work for others...they need that structure no matter how much they dislike it

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think you could change the word "Indian" to businessman in this context.

Isn't that what business is all about - maximising profit by minimising expense? Some call it screwing down - others call it negotiating. It depends on the point of view. In some places it's normal to haggle - that's just how business is done.
Just as he tried to minimise his expense by asking you to do the work for less, you decided that it wasn't in your business' interest to do the work and declined. That's the free market at work. After all, we all go on the internet to find the watch at the cheapest price possible and wouldn't think twice of getting a watch from overseas. I can't really see any difference between that and the jewellery business asking you to work for a cheaper rate.

He'll either find another guy who will do the work, realise that no-one will and pay the going rate, or just not repair watches at all.

Out of interest, what would you do if your remaining client called you and said that he had found someone who will do the work cheaper, and you can either match the price or lose him as a client? I know that you don't need that work, but it's an interesting discussion.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
very well said..and to the point...anyone who runs a business must make a profit....and if they don't they go out of business...and if they are not on the up and up...people find out and they must change their ways or close the doors...i successfully ran many different businesses for over 25 years...and one thing i have learned is that you have to treat your employees well...treat your customers with the respect they deserve...never let anyone push you around and enjoy what you do every day....if you are missing any of those ....any business will fail irregardless of your skills or money behind you...word of mouth is the best advertising...God Bless John

I think you could change the word "Indian" to businessman in this context.

Isn't that what business is all about - maximising profit by minimising expense? Some call it screwing down - others call it negotiating. It depends on the point of view. In some places it's normal to haggle - that's just how business is done.
Just as he tried to minimise his expense by asking you to do the work for less, you decided that it wasn't in your business' interest to do the work and declined. That's the free market at work. After all, we all go on the internet to find the watch at the cheapest price possible and wouldn't think twice of getting a watch from overseas. I can't really see any difference between that and the jewellery business asking you to work for a cheaper rate.

He'll either find another guy who will do the work, realise that no-one will and pay the going rate, or just not repair watches at all.

Out of interest, what would you do if your remaining client called you and said that he had found someone who will do the work cheaper, and you can either match the price or lose him as a client? I know that you don't need that work, but it's an interesting discussion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts