The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local mate of mine has committed to buying this 6139-6002. Does the dial look good to you guys? I note the tick marks on the subdial don't go all the way too the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
862 Posts
I’m not sure of the subtle differences between the silver T and R dials. This photo from a certain French collector..... trust he wouldn’t mind.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
It's always difficult to tell with an 'R' dial, some of the fakes can be difficult to spot.
Studying the photo's as closely as I can... I reckon this one is right.

I am a lot happier with a 'T' dial.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know this is an R dial variant but does anybody have concerns about the As in Japan being pointed versus flat As. Also, the markers in the sub dial do not appear to extend all the way to the edge of the sub dial like the example of the T version noted above. I am no expert. Maybe these slight variances are standard for R variant dials. The Wabi on the lume makes me feel better about the dial being legit. If it is a reproduction dial, it is very good. The watch looks fantastic.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know this is an R dial variant but does anybody have concerns about the As in Japan being pointed versus flat As. Also, the markers in the sub dial do not appear to extend all the way to the edge of the sub dial like the example of the T version noted above. I am no expert. Maybe these slight variances are standard for R variant dials. The Wabi on the lume makes me feel better about the dial being legit. If it is a reproduction dial, it is very good. The watch looks fantastic.
I had the same reaction that you did ... the pointed “A” font shows up regularly on bogus dials, but the slightly degraded lume made me think that it’s probably legit.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
To me the lume just doesn’t seem right. For me it looks like it is not applied in the usual way, covering the markers up to the edge. If one would try to fake rotten lume it could be (eventually) look like this. Markings of the subdial not to the edge, the mentioned A thing and something else I do miss but this could be due to the pics. Will be very interesting how this turns out. If your friend goes for it he should take of the dial and check...:)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I had the same reaction that you did ... the pointed “A” font shows up regularly on bogus dials, but the slightly degraded lume made me think that it’s probably legit.

I think that it’s ok, but I’m always cautious with these R dials too. For some reason the silver dials are the easiest to fake. Spencer Klein did a video several months ago addressing the silver dial Pogues. It would be good to review it. It is a lovely watch.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
None of the fake dials come close to that!

The R dials of the the different colours have pointed A’s and the sub dial markers are shorter. Also it always stands out more on silver as the sub dial step down is more visible and often the yellow dials have a darkening halo that hides the gap.

Trouble is someone mentions something like the sub dial thing then people judge them as fake because of it. In reality there’s differences between R and T dials and the majority of fakes used the R dial details.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm calling this one a fake or at best a redial.
Look at the printed marks inside the sub dial; all bunched up on the right hand side with big gaps along the left side.

Why is it the fakers never get the dial text correct?
Look at the way the printing between 7 and 8 is all jumbled up and not in a sweet arc like rossr's photo.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'm calling this one a fake or at best a redial.
Look at the printed marks inside the sub dial; all bunched up on the right hand side with big gaps along the left side.

Why is it the fakers never get the dial text correct?
Look at the way the printing between 7 and 8 is all jumbled up and not in a sweet arc like rossr's photo.
The point you make about the text arc is actually visible the same on Rossr’s pic, it’s not as in focus so you can’t see as well but here’s a close up of a T dial like the one rossr posted (you can even see on his pic the 6139 is jumbled up n down) It’s also a different dial variant, R and T dials

The silver dial in OP’s post is definitely not fake or re-done.

It’s legit genuine Seiko, the fake dials are nowhere near.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The point you make about the text arc is actually visible the same on Rossr’s pic, it’s not as in focus so you can’t see as well but here’s a close up of a T dial like the one rossr posted (you can even see on his pic the 6139 is jumbled up n down) It’s also a different dial variant, R and T dials

The silver dial in OP’s post is definitely not fake or re-done.

It’s legit genuine Seiko, the fake dials are nowhere near.

I agree 1000%

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Im defiantly Not sure but Above the Date window The Dial Shows an area when Magnified looks ??just not Right. Im sure when on Wrist looking down Whats bothering me about the dial Would go unnoticed. Russell

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
6139-6002

This is the only Silver 6139-600x I have She looks to my eye OEM and she was with watchmaker recently and is ready for a long life. Russell

Attachments

·
Special Member
4,603 Posts
Mine’s a T dial, ‘-6002 from March ‘72
And looks like the one in Ross’s picture
The outer track print markings overlap at subdial

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input guys. This area here is causing me some concern. Odd printing of the tick marks.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts