The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have just been in contact with this seller stating the obvious.This is his reply.

Dear groundhogman2012,

Your opinion and mind .
Everything is new ORIGINAL SEIKO .
Fully Restored !
Corrosion is somewhere else , not here .
Speechless .

- neu.uhr.sammler58

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Perhaps he's speechless because someone called him on his "ORIGINAL SEIKO"

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Simply for the benefit of those of us not too familiar with 6139's (yes, there are a few of us out here :)) - what are the issues with this watch other than being worn, marks on the chrono hand and a different second hand than pictured?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Simply for the benefit of those of us not too familiar with 6139's (yes, there are a few of us out here :)) - what are the issues with this watch other than being worn, marks on the chrono hand and a different second hand than pictured?
It's got the dial and bezel insert from a pogue style 6139, which is wrong for a this watch, as this is a 6040 and is a completely different case shape to a pogue. It should have either an orange or grey/silver dial with a black+silver bezel insert. The hands are wrong for this model (and for a pogue). Somebody has hand painted the second hand, badly. The movement has signs of wear, and there's some nasty corrosion on the case's rear sealing face, rust on the movement ring, worn case back, etc.

The listing has been revised now though, they dropped "Near NOS" from the description.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's got the dial and bezel insert from a pogue style 6139, which is wrong for a this watch, as this is a 6040 and is a completely different case shape to a pogue. It should have either an orange or grey/silver dial with a black+silver bezel insert. The hands are wrong for this model (and for a pogue). Somebody has hand painted the second hand, badly. The movement has signs of wear, and there's some nasty corrosion on the case's rear sealing face, rust on the movement ring, worn case back, etc.

The listing has been revised now though, they dropped "Near NOS" from the description.
Great - thanks for the info. Trying to learn more about the 6139 line...

·
Registered
136 Posts
The listing has been revised now though, they dropped "Near NOS" from the description.[/QUOTE]

After messaging the poor chap numerous times I managed to show him the errors of his ways and asked him to join the forum.He seems to be a nice guy and took on board what I said.

A message received today

Dear groundhogman2012,

What they see and i can not see ? I must say that i was so satysfied and optimistic with all the work i (we) had done and i added NOS . I revised the sell and i retired this word. I must also say that - as you see - i love Seiko and Citizen and i have a very great and rare and nice collection , but i ignored until now the existence of this forum and how helpful is .I must apologise for the first mine arogant reaction and improve myself getting better from my faults. Thank you for your time and suggestions . Panos I. GYFTOPOULOS , Athens & Luxembourg .

- neu.uhr.sammler58

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After messaging the poor chap numerous times I managed to show him the errors of his ways and asked him to join the forum.He seems to be a nice guy and took on board what I said.

A message received today

Dear groundhogman2012,

What they see and i can not see ? I must say that i was so satysfied and optimistic with all the work i (we) had done and i added NOS . I revised the sell and i retired this word. I must also say that - as you see - i love Seiko and Citizen and i have a very great and rare and nice collection , but i ignored until now the existence of this forum and how helpful is .I must apologise for the first mine arogant reaction and improve myself getting better from my faults. Thank you for your time and suggestions . Panos I. GYFTOPOULOS , Athens & Luxembourg .

- neu.uhr.sammler58[/QUOTE]

Very interesting and I salute your approach groundhogman!
For really it is not too hard to actually get it very right instead of so wrong.
Well let's see, fingers crossed we can help pull this seller to our way of thinking and help him and his sales.

Ok why did the quote not work? Mod?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yep.

Fake dial and wrong style
Fake bezel insert and wrong style
Very poor sub minute hand, not even a fake just wrong
Badly painted sweep hand
Fake hour and minute hands and wrong style
Fake bracelet

BUT what actually 'annoyed' me.... The white tag, as if to suggest it was indeed
NOS and thus a fantastic buy.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Fake dial and wrong style
Fake bezel insert and wrong style
I assumed they were AM but wasn't sure so I didn't call it. I had a close look at the insert and decided if it was AM it looked pretty good. What gives them away?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assumed they were AM but wasn't sure so I didn't call it. I had a close look at the insert and decided if it was AM it looked pretty good. What gives them away?
On the dial the hour indices are crapola ! Also the fine painted minute markers are the same length all of the way around- they usually get a smidge shorter and follow the contour of the sub dial for a few. However, I think some proof and resist dials break this rule....but this dial is neither of those.

On the insert.....it's flat. The print should just lap onto the inner chamfer (of which there is not) but here you can see that there is too much between the print and inside edge that then just drops off.
Some am inserts do have the chamfer but usual the print is not perfectly concentric to the insert.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought fake meant branded parts not made by the original manufacturer and aftermarket were non branded parts not made by the original manufacturer?

Or have I opened a can of worms? ;)
I don't disagree with you there Duncan!

If it's not real is it fake?!

If it is trying to impersonate the real thing then is it fake?! - is aftermarket a part that is not actually trying to be the real thing, just an alternative? Like a nice strap for example, not made by seiko.

So in my mind yobokies and Dagaz sell (very good) aftermarket parts. But what we are dealing with are fakes!?

If I could draw the Mona Lisa and sell it you wouldn't say that's an aftermarket drawing.....

Just musings :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts