The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing a 6139-603X Speedtimer Coke and have been offered this one. I thought I could spot fake dials, but I'm not so sure now. I thought all real dials had a flat top "A" in "Japan", but this one is pointed and the seller claims that only only the early ones had the flat "A". I wouldn't believe him, but it's clear from his Instagram that he's an accomplished collector who owns dozens of top notch vintage Seikos. Thoughts?

fake-coke.jpg

fake-coke2.jpg

fake-coke5.jpg

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
It’s hard to tell for sure based on the picture resolution, but that dial looks good. The whole package looks good. The inner chapter ring isn’t missing any paint. The hands are supposed to be orange, but with fading over time they often turn yellow. Lume looks right. What year is this one? Is the Pogue site up that was started, it might have a picture of a later model like this? Here is my early 6030.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If you want it better act fast. Saw it posted on the big forum a few hours ago.

·
Poet Laureate
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s hard to tell for sure based on the picture resolution, but that dial looks good. The whole package looks good. The inner chapter ring isn’t missing any paint. The hands are supposed to be orange, but with fading over time they often turn yellow. Lume looks right. What year is this one? Is the Pogue site up that was started, it might have a picture of a later model like this? Here is my early 6030.
That site is here: http://assets.feiko.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/6139-600x.html, but there are no Coke photos.

The watch is Oct 1972

·
Poet Laureate
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I bought it :)

Lots of evidence he's a reputable seller and he offered to take it back if it's not right. Now we wait ��

I still have my 6005 Pogue out for service too, and now I've gone and bought another watch. This hobby is going to ruin me ��

Thank you everyone for the help, information and dedication to this hobby. The watches are great, but the people are even better ❤

·
Poet Laureate
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The watch arrived. That was fast :)

It looks great. The hands have faded to yellow, but I kind of like that combo. The outer bezel is surprisingly not too scratched. The bracelet fits me on it's 2nd largest setting, so if I eat too much, I have room to grow :rolleyes:

I'd love to hear any opinions on it's originality. It was advertised as all original, and I paid a price commensurate, so if you see anything fishy, please share, so I can address it. Thank you!

IMG_20191011_165856.jpg

IMG_20191011_165942.jpg

IMG_20191011_165946.jpg

IMG_20191011_170001.jpg

IMG_20191011_170016.jpg

IMG_20191011_170033.jpg

IMG_20191011_170046.jpg

IMG_20191011_170058.jpg

IMG_20191011_170102.jpg

IMG_20191011_170116.jpg

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Very nice.
Very Nice. Looks Great to my Eyes. Are you sure the Hands faded or the Color may? be OEM. Thinking out loud. She looks Really in nice Condition Enjoy her.
Russell

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yup, she’s perfect imo. I do think that the yellow is a fading issue because I believe all of the 603x Speedtimers were orange originally, but I am willing to have Seiko prove me wrong here. I haven’t scoured the old ads completely to check.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
6139-6005 Aug. 1973. Yellow-hands

Hi Just saw one of mine with the yellow hands. looks so much like yours. Definitely deeper Yellow on Sub Sec But Im still not convinced both the Hands were ORANGE. But School is always is SESSION and I'm open to Learn. The Sub sec looks as if it could have been Orange??? Russell

Attachments

·
Poet Laureate
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The yellow is remarkabley uniform, it certainly could be OEM, or repainted or AM. Hard to say. I think we'd need historical photos to have any degree of confidence.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts