The Watch Site banner

What are your thoughts on SIZE ? by size i mean the size of your collection and how big is your col

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have five and my watches all get used, I prefer a few good watches over having many.

My 20 year old Seiko 5H26-7A09 200m Diver (serviced by Ken Setser)
Seiko SKX171
Citizen BM6400
G-Shock DW5600
G-Shock DW6600

However, I am currently thinking about acquiring another watch, just haven't quite decided on which one yet.

Mike

·
Registered
964 Posts
I prefer a good balance of both. I could easily acquire my dream, a Royal Oak Jumbo, but I'm sure I would miss all the little babys, I'd have to sell to afford it. In orher terms: the collection grows and I will never sell a watch to finance another one. But for sure my demands changed over the time, and I do not have to jump on everything that tictacs anymore. ;)
But I might never be the one raising funds by selling watches to afford another one.
And if I knew all I know now before? Probably would still have 80% of the watches I have!

Cheers,

Axel

Btw: what is quality? I acquired some Certinas for less than $50, that for sure can compete with an Omega or Rolex.

Edit: just realized I hit the wrong voting button (was reading 100 to 500 instead of 10 to 50). :-[

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a hobbyist and just about every watch is one that I've picked up in some stage of distress and restored to working condition. I like my watches a little beat up except for a couple of dress watches for special occasions, church etc. With that said after having about 80 some odd watches I'm leaning towards quality and uniqueness.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quality is great. Is there a cheap Seiko? Not really. All well made just different price range. A few of each is great to have for me. I wear my watches so I need a different type for different activities.
Eventually I might cut down to get some very high end like a GS or a Royal Orient.

·
Registered
76 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
Quality is in the eye of the beholder.
True, but you did ask that in your opening post. Everyone defines "quality" differently, so I would suppose that we accept individual definitions so as not to get bogged down with definitions. ;D

TheTigerUK said:
Is it size or quality you prefer ? and have you changed from quantity to quality or visa versa ?

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have mostly Seiko and Citizen Divers, and a few other brands. I wear the Seiko and Citizens the most but still like the others in my collection. ;D

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Jeje3325 said:
Quality is great. Is there a cheap Seiko? Not really. All well made just different price range. A few of each is great to have for me. I wear my watches so I need a different type for different activities.
Eventually I might cut down to get some very high end like a GS or a Royal Orient.
Just don't sell the trio, JeJe...all the 3 OS 300m sat divers, I mean. I LOVE those watches! You influenced me on acquiring the black faced and orange faced ones! ;D 8)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Even before I got into watches I learned that quantity NEVER replaces quality, and I think that is specially true for watches. Besides, I only buy watches that I will wear, and once I have too many, I won't be wearing all of them, so it would the time to size down.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
I definitely crossed that threshold! 8)

LUW said:
Even before I got into watches I learned that quantity NEVER replaces quality, and I think that is specially true for watches. Besides, I only buy watches that I will wear, and once I have too many, I won't be wearing all of them, so it would the time to size down.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
For me is the same as axel, a mixture of both. My collection is decent size and it has taken many years to get to that number, but most of it has been slow going and most has been restored, thus keeping accumulation to a minimum.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I prefer to have a collection made up of a few higher end watches than, say, 20 affordables. Lately, I have been downsizing but at the same time, making an emphasis on greater quality. At the end of the day, I may end up keeping only 7 watches but they will get worn proudly. I have come to the realization that I am happier with fewer than 10 watches. :-*

I personally, don't believe in collecting watches to be kept away in dark drawers or a bank safe. If a watch(es) doesn't get worn, it'll get jettisoned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought I wanted to collect watches at one point when I had 12 and was growing rapidly....then it dawned on me I wasn't a collector at all just an enthusiast. I have 5 now and that's about to change to 3....and I'm really down with that...really

I like to try different watches so I buy, I use, if they grow on me I'll keep, but that is rare. My OM is the single watch I have kept since this nutty addiction and it's about to go to a friend. I've had 20+ during the last 2 years.

I've settled in....I want 3-4 good watches for different times....that's it! For now :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
I voted, though I wouldn't consider myself a collector. I wear all my watches and never spare them, like a real collector probably would to some extend.
Then, I am a student and sometimes bills come up that I have to pay and I would not (and have not) hesitate(d) to get rid of watches to pay them. Also, it would bother me having more than 10 or 15 watches. I hardly manage to service/pressure test/wear all of those I own (mostly dive watches).

·
Registered
547 Posts
A few years back, I had 48 watches. Some of those were vintage dress watches which hadn't cost too much, and a lot were Vostoks and Poljots which also weren't breaking my budget. I gradually got bored with the Vostoks (the same case and movement much of the time, just different dials), and decided to start moving watches and upgrading. With 48 watches, storage was an issue. They were all over my dresser, and on every available square inch of shelf space I had.

Now, I'm down to 19 watches. My collection is more focused - mostly divers, which I discovered I enjoy wearing more than other kinds of watches. There is no repetition. I don't have five different dial colors of the same model of anything. Everything gets worn a little each month, and I enjoy that, while not exceedingly rare, many of my watches are unusual or rarely seen. No Rolexes, no Omegas, no Panerais - which are all nice watches, but as common as dandelions.

I'd like to get down to 12 watches, or 7 watches, but I don't know where I'd cut at this point. And I fear that if I upgraded my collection more, money-wise, I'd be more apprehensive about wearing the more expensive watches I upgraded to. So, for now, I'm happy with where I am. I spend more time lately looking at straps and bracelets than I do looking at watches.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I think it is all part of an evolution process between you and the hobby. It takes time to really define what you want your collection to be and which watches and movements are the ones that strike a high degree of interest.

Just a couple of months ago I was up to 17 watches and was becoming overwhelmed. Nice watches but simply more than I cared to look after. At that point I grabbed my calculator and began an inventory. with the money I had tied up I could easily but 3-4 really premium level pieces. And that's what I did. Haven't looked back.

I'll probably do one more new watch in the next week or so and call it a day for the foreseeable future. I have very quickly reached the point of complete satisfaction and have no desire to revamp the collection any further or look at other watches.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I started off buying almost anything below a certain price, and boy did I accumulate some rubbish.

I've now found out what I like, I've off loaded a few, and will be off loading a lot more shortly. The intention being to get down to about 10 better quality watches that will get worn on a regular basis.

The problem is identifying the 10 watches to keep !

1 - 20 of 55 Posts