The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
One of the best movements price-wise from Seiko that both permits hack and hand-wind is the 6R15. The first watch that comes to mind for me is the Sumo.

This is the SBDC003 (blue), and there's also the black (001) and orange (002 - if I'm not mistaken).

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Of course!

There are several. But from the mid-range (Around $350 and up) the caliber 6r15, 21 jewels, 21,600 BPH, -25/+15 secs per day accuracy, 50 hours power reserve, does indeed hack and hand wind.

The 6r15 is not sold in export markets. At present it is a Japan market only movement. It is found in the popular Seiko Sumo diver, the Seiko Spirit/SARB dress mechanicals.

See the Seiko Japan website for more info (Use Google Translate if your Japanese skills are on the rough side):

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/mechanical/lineup/

Above the 6r15 movement, you'll have the 6r20, 6r21 and 6r24 which are a bit higher grade and "hi-beat" or 28,800 BPH. Watches sporting the 6r20 and up are in the $700+ price range.

After that, you'll have the Seiko mechanical chronograph calibers like the 8r28, 6s37 and 6s28. Watches with these calibers are in the $2,000 plus range.

above that level, you'll find the 8L35 movement in the Seiko Marine Master 300m, a $2,000 or so Japan market diver. So there after, you'll find yourself in 9s55, et al caliber territory with Grand Seikos and Credors in the $4,000+ range.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
As others have said, seiko does not have a current production movement that hacks and hand winds, they have a ton of them. What you will find though is that the products that use them are sold either only in Japan, or in very limited markets, and they range from medium prices to the very high end. also don't forget that this also includes spring drive calibers, all of which, to my knowledge, hack and hand wind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts