The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, any chance they would have the GS line by the fall?

Grand Seiko Watches Go International - Does Their Reputation Precede The Arrival, or Must The Education Begin? - Blog - Hodinkee
"After 50 years of exclusive Japanese distribution, SEIKO Watch Corporation is taking their line of Grand Seiko watches international. Largely unknown outside of Japan, Grand Seiko watches represent an attempt to better their Swiss counterparts in both quality and price. Do they succeed? For the first time ever, the rest of the world will officially be able to make their own judgement to that question. Beginning this fall, select Seiko dealers around the world will be given rights to sell Grand Seiko watches."
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/7/8/grand-seiko-watches-go-international-does-their-reputation-p.html
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
No word as to when the official opening dates will be for the Seiko Boutiques in New York and San Francisco.


There are other Seiko Boutique openings scheduled in Sao Paulo, Brazil and Buenos Aires, Argentina.


No dates on those either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
Grab your passport and head to Toronto. Not so far away. I'm sure you could find some watch forum friends there to make sure you don't get lost.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,179 Posts
I for one can't wait until they open so I can go geek out on all the bling. Maybe, if we're lucky, we can strike a friendship and get them to come to the forum (like the fine folks from the Toronto store), or better yet, come to one of the big NYC meets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
They have a Seiko Center in Paris, where one can buy GS, Credor and Ananta models... if one can afford them. :'(
But I don't think they are actually overwhelmed with orders.
The simple point is that in Paris one can get just about any watch from any of the luxury brands, many of which have been advertising for decades and have a lot more "mind share" than Seiko.
Me, I would rather have Seiko working on affordable, quality watches which I can order from Japan in any case, than spending advertising money to fight an uphill battle in the luxury, exclusive markets...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
ADB said:
They have a Seiko Center in Paris, where one can buy GS, Credor and Ananta models... if one can afford them. :'(
But I don't think they are actually overwhelmed with orders.
The simple point is that in Paris one can get just about any watch from any of the luxury brands, many of which have been advertising for decades and have a lot more "mind share" than Seiko.
Me, I would rather have Seiko working on affordable, quality watches which I can order from Japan in any case, than spending advertising money to fight an uphill battle in the luxury, exclusive markets...

It won't be easy but I don't think it will be an uphill battle, once the "snobs" get full exposure to a Grand Seiko timepiece.


Let me tell you this.... I would have hesitated buying my 2 Seiko Anantas had Seiko not imported them officially into the US. While my spring Drive would likely be sent back to Japan when the time comes to its service pit stop, I still have the full backing of my local AD and Seiko USA (COSERV). Plus it is nice to get a full 3 year warranty on a $4,000 watch, trust me.


Right now the problem of buying a Grand Seiko is no availability in the country, buying sight unseen and relaying on the Japan based online retailers for service and parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
first can we put to bed this crap about sending a watch back to Japan.
Yes its slightly inconvenient, but you have to do it for any big name or similar priced watch.
Its silly to harp on this, try sending a watch back to Rolex- and see how 'easy' the shipping process isn't.



that being said, there have been stores that do carry GS here in NYC
there was a place on 5th and 42 that carried Spring Drives.

Both the downtown and midtown Kenzo carried the occasional spring drive.
Gs, not so much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
kmcnyc said:
first can we put to bed this crap about sending a watch back to Japan.
Yes its slightly inconvenient, but you have to do it for any big name or similar priced watch.
Its silly to harp on this, try sending a watch back to Rolex- and see how 'easy' the shipping process isn't.



that being said, there have been stores that do carry GS here in NYC
there was a place on 5th and 42 that carried Spring Drives.

Both the downtown and midtown Kenzo carried the occasional spring drive.
Gs, not so much.
Japan is a lot farther than Mahwah. I'd rather the liability of international shipping be on them and not me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
nhoJ said:
Japan is a lot farther than Mahwah. I'd rather the liability of international shipping be on them and not me.

+1


Exactly. I can either drop my watch back at my brick and mortar AD or mail it directly to COSERV in NJ. From there on it is their 100% responsibility to get the watch safely back and forth from Japan. I do not want the worry of shipping a $5K piece myself half way across the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
That is a very fair answer thank you both


I just think its silly- when people rail and complain about this aspect of buying a watch
when most major brands require the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
kmcnyc said:
That is a very fair answer thank you both


I just think its silly- when people rail and complain about this aspect of buying a watch
when most major brands require the same thing.
Seiko just needs to make sending your watch back to Japan as part of the "ownership experience". Make it something to look forward too. Expert service performed by a select few. Maybe promote that each watch will be kissed by a Geisha on its way back to you. You know the drill. :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top