The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
28,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does "Proof", "Resist", "Resistant" have any impact on your collection ?

For some reason with my mechanicals i love getting a "Proof" model more than the others and i find myself trying to go down the proof route more and more, i think i would like to end up with just proof in the main, is this a sign of my age ? :)

For me there is just that little bit of "magic" with the proof, i was at one time tempted to just save case backs rather than watches !!! :57:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: Does "Proof", "Resist", "Resistant" have any impact on your collection ?

I have to admit I have similar tastes. I tend to try and get 'proofs' or early versions of models if I can.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts

used to, these days I prefer "proof" but only in the case of 6139s does it matter - where I prefer "resist" models for the fact that they have the B movement and the one-part hand, both of which I prefer.

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts

:iagree: Tiger, Proof just adds that little touch of magic, Btw I do love case back pics & that pic is 1st class & the case back even better :clap:

Best Stefan

·
Banned
2,569 Posts

It's just nostalgia John ;)

'Proof' harkens back to the hey days and the height of Seiko manufacturing prowess :great:

·
Registered
436 Posts

It matters not to me. But having said that I do love many of the proof case backs.
In fact that's what draws me to many of the 60's watches I have. Not because they are "proof" I just think they are cool designs. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. ;)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

Proof is just better... End of... Period... No more to say

Now where did I put that speedtimer bracelet ? :57:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

It is futile to resist....... :57: :57:
Especially when a watch starts calling your name and you hear it's voice in your head... :)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

I've always thought that 'waterproof' sounds far more definitive as a descriptor relative to the slightly soft sounding, wishy-washy 'water resistant', going back to being a kid in the sixties, however, as long as it's keeping the wet stuff on the outside I'm not concerned . . . ;D

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

TheTigerUK said:
For some reason with my mechanicals i love getting a "Proof" model more than the others and i find myself trying to go down the proof route more and more, i think i would like to end up with just proof in the main, is this a sign of my age ? :)

For me there is just that little bit of "magic" with the proof, i was at one time tempted to just save case backs rather than watches !!! :57:

[/quote]
Tiger, I love the casting/stamping/etching/engraving logo on these old girls, I assume it relates to the '68 Olympics, is that correct ? Without wishing to tell my gran how to suck eggs, a few of those links look like they could do with some gentle closing up . . . maybe, maybe not ?? Cheers Big Cat. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts

Sweephand said:
I prefer 'parawater' myself ;)

I collect 1970's watches so "Resistant" is sort of what I am looking for. But I do make exceptions. The "Business" Bell was only made pre 1970 and I have one of those. It is one of my favorites for wearing to work. Then I saw a 30 jewel "Business A" model from the same year as the Business bell, 1967. They both have a similar white dial, so I have that one also. Is Parawater the same as "Proof" ?
-Brand Cedrone

Stephen

·
Registered
24,639 Posts

Proof for me :) ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts