The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[size=1em]I was up at my dad's country house a couple of summers ago and got a chance to see a bunch of things I hadn't seen in a long time. One of those things is a watch he used to wear when I was a teenager. I only noticed the watch, because he still happened to be wearing it. In fact this has been his daily wearer for almost 20 years now. The watch was his daily wearer from about 1990 until he retired from the US Navy Seals in the mid 90's. Yes the watch has seen action as the Seals describe it. It was also in Kuwait and Iraq during the first gulf war, and also spent 2 years in Baghdad during the second (though this time pops was a security contractor).

So what was the watch in question you ask? Well, It wasn't a watch at all, but rather seiko's 3rd diver computer, a yellow dialed M705 dive computer. which has been with my dad through thick and thin for almost 20 years. Here are a couple of pictures of the tough old frog (the watch not my Dad):

and a little closer:

As an added twist, I noticed that the pop had another watch laying about, which you fellows would recognize. Though not Asian, I asked him about it and he told me that it was a gift from the manufacturer who gave it to him sometime in the 90's when the watch was new. I Told him about the watch and what collectors thought of it and he was amused I then asked him if he would consider trading me one of his watches in exchange for something out of my collection. He said sure, Just to pick something I wanted and offer him something along the same lines. Of course I immediately went for the M705. However after playing with it for a bit I cam to realize that despite it's impressive pedigree, the Dive Computer would be wasted on me. The thing is not like an ABC watch which is primarily a watch that also gives you other info. This thing is first and foremost a diving tool, that just happens to also tell time. Since I realized that I just couldn't do this piece justice, believe it or not, I passed on it (enter hate-mail here). Instead I made him an offer for the other watch.

Oh wait, I never told you what the other watch was did I? Here is what I came home with:

Interestingly, I bought my dad a new Orange Monster as a gift (and as a thank you), which he happened to love. He calls it his "Sunday Go To Church Watch". The funny thing is that he still wears his old Dive computer on an almost daily basis.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Great story, and if you want to trade that Zodiac for a Monster let me know :) .

The only watches my father ever wore were those he could get at a flea market or fake watches out of Turkey when he would go on vacation there. One year he brought one home and proceeded to spend an hour trying to convince me it was indistinguishable from an original (all this without an original to hand). Apparently my mind was foggy that day when it dawned on me that this fake Brietling chrono wasn't even a working chrono and had fixed fake sub-register hands. After kicking myself I pointed this out and thankfully I never heard about (or saw for that matter) that watch again. That could be the end of the story except that next year we did the same rounds with a fake Tag chrono, but at least that one was a working chronograph.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Seems like your old man has a good taste in watches :)
And it's very kind from him to provide you with those, lucky you...

At first I read "Since I realized that I just couldn't do this piece justice, believe it or not, I passed it on", thinking WTF, he gave it to someone else? read it again and then got it right, lol.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Great story there Gabe. My Dad gave me many things of an intangible nature. Physical things, esp watches, however were not on his list. When he passed away he was using a tonneau cased Seiko quartz that he had picked up in a duty free shop somewhere on his travels. Not really my thing and of no great sentiment to him. He typically only used a watch when traveling overseas. What I always found more amusing was the reason he bought it. The watch he had been using had died on him. Oh it was a pocket watch of sorts...an LCD Miss Piggy watch he had appropriated from my little sister. The perfect pocket watch for an attorney billing 600+ per hour. :-[

·
Registered
547 Posts
A cool story, Gabe, and two very cool watches. Neat that you got to go home with the Super Seawolf. You might have the makings of an interesting ongoing thread here - watches that have seen actual military duty. I'm expecting to see my son's Mudman return from Afghanistan this June. I'll post pictures of it when he gets back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow!!! That is a watch with a tremenous history behind it. That's so great that your dad never threw it away, and now you have it. Thanks for sharing this fascinating history.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Good story Gabe. My Dad told me he bought that same Zodiac years ago without my Mom's permission so he took it back to the store. He has been wearing G-shocks for as long as I can remember. Heck I got him a Bernhardt Globemaster that he won't wear everyday. :-[ Oh well pretty funny since he said the G-Shock lasted thru everything since he just spends another 40 dollars everytime one dies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! A Zodiac like that is an amazing piece. You better take him out for a steak dinner next time you hang out with him! ;D

Congrats Gabe, that is a real heirloom quality qatch you got there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Gabe,

I remember this story from a long time :)

Great story!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts