The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, new here.

I came across a Seiko SNA411. The watch in general looks legit (to me), has a good weight to it and is nicely polished. Everything seems to be functioning ok, including setting time, date, setting and testing chronograph and alarm.

However, what caught my eye is the case back, where the etching/engraving looks rather shallow. Do you think this could be a fake, or is it just a cheap case back from Philippines or wherever they were making these?

See attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have this one from the original owner I got it ...3 years ago.

It could be that ... The Angle and Light of the picture is what is effecting the .....Engraving
on the case back. Compare your ....First Picture to mine and I think it shows better to be
compared.
Your Picture seems to be taken in ....... Black & White and that effects the machined metal.
I would say you have a Genuine Watch there.

Louis

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Can't say I've heard of fake flightmasters but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Checked both of mine and look very similar, don't see anything obvious.

I'd say it's more likely where it's been polished the depth has gone a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may be that. But to me the engraving in mine looks much shallower compared to yours.

I tend to agree that the watch is in fact genuine. It is working quite well with full funtionality, the lumen is super good and typical Seiko colour, and also the dial is spot on. I've tested the logarithmic scale on the slide rule and it is accurate as is the scale on the face of the watch which makes me wonder why would someone get in the trouble of reproducing such an accurate copy.

I think I'm confident now that the watch is genuine, it's just that I haven't seen such shallow engraving on a Seiko before. Then again this is my only Seiko after the 90's and given the value of the watch and production in who-knows-where I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you look at Louis pics at the cut outs where the tool to remove the case back would go, you'll notice a small gap as there milled out away from the central circle of the case back.

Now I look at yours and you'll see the cut outs almost merge with the circle where the case back has been refinished taking the material away. It is also nothing like original Seiko finish to the surface finish. I wouldn't worry about, that's all it looks to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The watch looks genuine to my eyes, but it's always a tough thing to see for sure given the quality of internet pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After considering your opinions and examining the watch carefully, I am convinced now it's genuine. The engraving, although shallow, seems quite consistent and the rest of the watch is so convincing that I think just the cost to develop and test the tooling to reverse engineer this model would be astronomical compared to the value of the watch.

I think the most likely scenario is just a case of excess polishing in the watch back. maybe there was some visual defect (i.e. scratch from the engraver) on the back that the factory polished out, as the rest of the watch does not seem to have undergone re-finishing (bezel teeth are consistent, edges/buttons/screw caps/crown are very precise.

Thank you all for your input. If a moderator wishes they can lock the thread, I don't feel there is any point discussing this more but will be happy to do so if you think there is any value in doing that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts