The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
W 39
It has t he same movt as the F-91. The case is not resin like other casios with metallic look but chromed base metal. I can't find a lot on the net. Do you know?

Regards Erik
One of Casio’s Cheaper Retro Digis from 1981-1982 the W Series.
There’s loads of pics of them on the Net.👍

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, are they made in the early eighties or trying to look like it? I can't find many pics on w-39.

Regards
Erik

·
Registered
419 Posts
The back says Stainless steel so looks like a good catch! The crystal says Lithium so I'm guessing 80s. Was this purchased new recently? I've loved the classic Casio shape but wasn't fond of the usual plated cases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The word "stainless" refers to the case back I believe. The watch is plated, but not resin, it is too heavy.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Thanks, are they made in the early eighties or trying to look like it? I can't find many pics on w-39.

Regards
Erik

It’s an Eighties made Watch from 81 or 82.👍

·
Poet Laureate
850 Posts
While that's not one of their more valuable models, it is remarkable for being in fantastic condition. I love all the 80s metal cased Casios, and with that great original bracelet you've found a winner.
You see people everywhere wearing new Casios en hommage to those 80s watches. Now you can say "hey cool watch man, mine's from '82" and be the coolest kid on the block

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
The word "stainless" refers to the case back I believe. The watch is plated, but not resin, it is too heavy.
I thought they marked resin/plated cases with "stainless steel back". I do know that Casio made steel cased digitals with pressed backs (50m water resistance) in varying styles in the eighties so yours might be full steel. Great catch either way! Now you need the 'big brother'; a 50m or 100m steel Marlin!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see your point but the case seems chromed when you look at it albeit much heavier than the modern resin, chromed cases.
According to one of the few places where I could find info on it is chromed base metal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still do not understand why this watch does not have as wide an angle when you watch the digits and they are sharp, as the F-91 w has.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I still do not understand why this watch does not have as wide an angle when you watch the digits and they are sharp, as the F-91 w has.
That is one of the indicators of fakes that I have read about.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yup I was afraid of that. Can you see it by looking at the movt if you open it up?
I have 3 or 4 of these. Only one does the 'CASIO' thing but all have the same wide viewing angle.
The batteries on two of them have been replace(by me) which tells you how old they are. I don't remember if there was any difference in the movements, only that they all take the same 'CR' size battery.
I don't think there are any real differences in quality between the Casio made ones and the knock offs. The genuine Casio can be found new for $19 or less!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts