The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight three items finished i had been following and instead of putting a snipe in and forgetting about them I watched the mins and seconds count down until the finish and the different emotions going through me was quite surprising, excitement, hope, desire, "sweating" and then disappointment etc etc

The first one I never even bid on because I knew it would go high and it did.

The second one I quite fancied but again I knew it would go higher than I wanted to pay, it did(and I was sorta glad), but I had a dabble just in case it had slipped the net :)

The third item I really wanted it and I bid about 50% more than I thought it would sell for, well if you want it you have too :) but it actually sold for about 50% more than my high bid, bugger :(

Where else could you get all that "fun" for free ? :)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well i know that feeling very well...and i am amazed that how much people will pay when it is in auction..i remember when i was just a small boy..i think i was 8..my mom's dad died and they had a very large auction to sell my grandfathers's treasure..it was a three day affair...and i learned back then that people will seemingly pay way over just to say they won...it is hard not to let emotion take over...i thought it was just me who got nervous on online auctions...John

·
Registered
657 Posts
I keep telling myself not to get emotionally invested in an auction, because I end up paying more than I'd planned on :). Unfortunately, I always find myself biting my nails and stressing out as those last few seconds bleed out…

·
Registered
774 Posts
Or, you find something hidden away in some obscure auction thinking no one else has seen it, only for it to go nuts in the last 30 seconds - - - heart breaking!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm rather competitive so shouldn't sit and watch auctions...but I do:)
Still even worse after a couple of quiet ones...GAME ON! Then I get the old "crikey, why the heck did I do That?:mad:"

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I used to ride auctions out and snipe at the end. It can be emotional that's for sure but I don't do it anymore, can't take the stress.

These days if I see something I want, like a 6139 I want for the collection I stick on a massive bid and forget about it. Everything else I bit what I am prepared to pay and forget about it.

Like Briang said if I see something way undervalued I may have a pop at it even if I do not really want it to do up and pass on.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There was an item that finished last night (29 June), that I really needed to finish a project, and all funds were on hold until that item ended. Thought it was just me who got that weird feeling and nervousness (I start to tremble ever so slightly) when bidding. I agree with jringo though, I've sold things on ebay and they've gone for a lot more than expected, and it has to be that "I've won it" complex.

Regards, David

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
lately seems like people just pay crazy money for very rough stuff..i am amazed...i have to watch myself...i can get very competitive too...and just when you think you go it...it is gone...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Its a love hate thing somehow, I love the excitement but somehow a hollow high, if you miss it you have to start telling yourself immediately the reasons why its good you missed out, if you win it but have spent far too much on doing so then you have to justify it to yourself, the only time the feeling lasts is in those rare occasions you snag the under the radar bargain..... You then start worrying whats wrong with it and what problem did others see that you missed.... lol.....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Its a love hate thing somehow, I love the excitement but somehow a hollow high, if you miss it you have to start telling yourself immediately the reasons why its good you missed out, if you win it but have spent far too much on doing so then you have to justify it to yourself, the only time the feeling lasts is in those rare occasions you snag the under the radar bargain..... You then start worrying whats wrong with it and what problem did others see that you missed.... lol.....
I picked up a 6105-8000 that no one else bid on. I paid $400 for it and I thought why was I the only one?? It arrived with a/m dial, but I don't care, the case is nice and runs well. But there is always that lingering doubt. (Cue Twilight Zone theme)

·
Special Member
4,770 Posts
As of late, I stay away from auctions, just not as polished at it as you guys and almost always biding high on impulse on something that I really don't need or want. My anxiety in these cases begins as soon as I realize that and when I'm not being outbid towards the end. At that point, I have to come up with reasons to justify the purchase to myself and the wife.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well going by the money that lot made I don't that 6105 escaped unnoticed. That Timex.... wow.... sexy....

So Mr Tiger John sir what were the items you didn't win now you've got hooked....

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I don't know what price that went for ?

But.................

IMO needed to be cheap as lots of work needed before it looked half decent, crystal, gaskets, service ?, poor insert, poor dial and hands which would look a lot better after a pro relume.

A lot of work and a few pennies needed.

Sometimes the bargains can be little money pits and still not look great at the end of the day unless your one of these collectors that likes "wabbie" or in this case grunge.

Unless your a bottom feeder like me :) it REALLY does make a lot of sense to buy something that is in good condition to start with.

JMO :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts