The Watch Site banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Poet Laureate
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a stopped 3802-7031 Quartz QT (pre-cursor to the Superior) from 1975. I paid $150 for it on YJ, and now I'll probably spend more to have it repaired. It's not worth that much, but I can't bear to have such a landmark piece lost for eternity. Does anyone else do this? Am I the only one who gets into projects because I just can't let them vanish forever.
Watch Analog watch Photograph Gesture Clock

·
Registered
266 Posts
Very much like the date only window. Very cool watch and even if it's not worth a fortune, if you like it, that's all that's important. Money comes and goes but cool stuff its satisfying. Generally, all Seiko's are not worth as much as they should be but maybe that's why we like them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have done it several times - most of the time my motives are less about saving a watch and (selfishly) more about a watch that I'd love to be wearing.

Here are a couple of examples:

6139 - part I
6139 - part II

Anyway, if you're into vintage Seiko (or vintage any watch), chances are that you are going to run into a watch that you love that may cost more than it is worth to fix...but you may never run into that watch again so sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

PS - great watch, love the dial!

JR

·
Special Member
3,893 Posts
Watches, cars, houses, etc. the latest project is here which is for my oldest granddaughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member & Premium Member
1,420 Posts
It's been said MANY TIMES -
When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my watches for what I said I paid for them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
oh, everyday. It’s the cost of having things that are accelerating towards extinction.

On another note, I’ve picked up many KQ and GQ that were not running and just needed a service. The case rings on those old quartz rust and the stator motor is very magnetic so they jam up. That and the board. otherwise they’re quite reliable.

Out of curiosity and as Im also eyeing the early quartz 3000s, it looks like Cousins to has boards for the 3000 series quartz but I'm not 100% about your particular movement. They're not cheap, about 40 british pounds. Same goes for coils which I see on ebay are around 30-40 usd.

·
Poet Laureate
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don’t we all? It’s all part of this hobby, in my mind.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, but the difference is, most of you are saying you buy a project watch to restore because it's a watch you want, regardless of the questionable economics. I'm saying, have you bought one for the sake of the watch, because if you don't rescue it, no one else will, and it will be lost forever.

·
Special Member
2,628 Posts
Yes, but the difference is, most of you are saying you buy a project watch to restore because it's a watch you want, regardless of the questionable economics. I'm saying, have you bought one for the sake of the watch, because if you don't rescue it, no one else will, and it will be lost forever.
well, if it is in my hands, then yes. I won't make a purchase just for the sake of making a purchase to "fix" a watch; so, I'm sure many a watch are lost forever on my watch (no pun intended!). LOL.

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
3,893 Posts
Yes, definitely. My 6139 blue dial PROOF is an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
First Lady
2,989 Posts
Why would I buy a watch I didn’t want, especially if it’s in bad shape? It’s a unique collector who would do that, just to “rescue” a watch. Perhaps a person who sees value, in such a piece, would buy, restore, and then resell it.

·
Poet Laureate
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why would I buy a watch I didn’t want, especially if it’s in bad shape? It’s a unique collector who would do that, just to “rescue” a watch. Perhaps a person who sees value, in such a piece, would buy, restore, and then resell it.

Exactly! It makes no sense. But I did it. This is a $150 watch, mind you, in good cosmetic shape. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't lost forever. That would be sad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts