The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
30,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By short and curlies I mean man sized Balls :)

I read so many posts where buyers are winging about minor or even major problems concerning there purchases such has accuracy, scratch on crystal, polished etc etc etc and the advice often given is contact the seller for a replacement, partial refund or return for full refund and so on.

When buying I look at the pictures and even read the description a little and then I make a decision to buy and I take full responsibility for my buy, if i get a good buy then great, if I get a poor or crap buy then so be it but that was my decision(i've had my fair share and more of crap buys :) ) and i dont go crying back to the seller who perhaps knowingly or unknowingly sold me the crap, my decision to buy no one forced me into it.

I never bombard a seller with questions (i dont ask one question even)which is perhaps one of the reasons I do end up with some crap, all part of the fun though, apart from would you consider a BIN :) which some do and others tell me to bugger off :)

Win some lose some, all part of the "fun", your a lucky guy if you win them all, I say man up :) what do you say ?

For example I bought this 6138-0010 the other day because it is a proof/proof and I really like proof watches for some reason, also I like those pointy hands (it's the little things in life), I paid $150 which IMO is not cheap and not a great bargain, but I made the decision I wanted it.

It will need at the very minimum a new crystal and pushers and that is if i am very lucky but it may be that the missing button has allowed all sorts of crap/water etc to get in there and might even mean that the movement etc is a complete right off :( but that will be my problem not the sellers problem, as i say win some lose some but man up :)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Blunt and to the point as ever John.....

Like most of us I've had some poor buys, I've only returned one watch in the last 12 months or so and that was because it wasn't the brand it was listed as - the listing had a poor photo so you couldn't tell.

Oh and i had one total fake that ebay had me destroy, again, a poor photo involved.

Everything else i've kept and made the best of, on top of this many have been as, or better than, expected so overall i reckon i'm ahead.

I do, however, leave negative/neutral feedback when appropriate to warn other buyers where a seller has been a little "economical" with the truth of the watch's condition etc.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
then I make a decision to buy and I take full responsibility for my buy
That's because we're older, well, some of us are older then others...;), Wiser, and have been around the block a time or two. We aren't the young wippersnapper's we used to be, still wet behind the ears.......:)

Life's too short to be bothered by the little things.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If the description is just 'used watch' and you don't enquire further, then you're taking responsibility and I wouldn't complain if it turned out to be a non-runner or damaged etc.

Condition descriptions I take with so many grains of salt, one man's "minty!" is another man's "ok", so I try and read between the lines, study the pics, do my homework, and try to make a sensible bidding choices.

However, I'm not against asking the odd question, but I try and stick to factual stuff - what's the serial number? does the crown screw in? how long is the bracelet? - if the watch doesn't turn out to match the answers given then I will complain (politely and patiently) and return it for a refund. I wouldn't expect to get some cash back and keep the watch as I'd be very suspicious of this tactic if I were the seller.

I would say I've have very few problems, buying and selling, but then I only buy restoration projects and parts watches so I'm never paying top dollar or expecting faultless operation.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree...I ask fact/detail questions, not questions that will receive a subjective answer. Frankly, I'm way ahead versus behind but I've picked up some stinkers too.

The biggest complaint I see on here is about packaging and, admittedly, I completely agree with getting riled by that because there's no excuse. Heck, a ziploc bag, places inside scrunched up newspaper can do the job...not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Well, I am one to complain afterwards if the Watch that was described as "used but in good condition" has defects that are obvious, but not stated and/or hidden by creative photography.

I had a nice 6106-7107 (orange 70's sports diver) coming in that was advertised as running which had completely upward bend hands to clear the dial markers. The pictures were all taken straight down, so the damage was not obvious.
Yes, if I knew the model already, I would have known that the hands were not correct.

So yes, if the seller didn't hide anything it's poor luck. Bought as seen.
But if he or she is trying to scam me, I want a refund.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I never complain, mostly because i buy all mine off ramon, so I know exactly what I'm getting, alot of work but ultimately great pleasure when at the end of all the work I have a lovely working watch that i know i bought back to life

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Well said Tiger. Yes, the photos need to be scrutinized and Yes part of the experience is never really knowing what it will be until it arrives.

That said, my only part of partial disagreement is when the Seller mis-states the reality of the product that cannot be seen. For example, a seemingly nice looking watch described as "Keeps excellent time", then it loses 20 minutes a day. To me, that is cause for refund/partial refund/return because the seller took the time to make a claim that proved false (knowingly or not).

I agree 100% to Man Up and not whine. I too have had a series of crap buys and then I leave positive feedback because frankly the seller had nothing to do with the fact that I sprang for it and then didn't like it. I bought an old non-Seiko from a blurry camera phone photo years ago, boy when it arrived did I realize that was on purpose. So whose to blame there? Me. I didn't ask for a non-blurry photo.

·
Registered
26,047 Posts
I agree...Man Up or don't buy...If one feels the need to complain...Buy Brand new watches and deal with the Manufacturer.

·
Special Member
4,779 Posts
I think all you guys suffer from EOG; early onset grumpiness! Just kidding.
To be honest, only one time I got a watch that was not described correctly. The rest of my not so good buys were my fault for not knowing enough.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Actually one of my worst buys happened from a SCWF Trading Post. The part was described using the wrong term and when it arrived I quickly saw the price I paid, for the condition it was in, was way too high.

But I didn't complain because there was no picture, I didn't think to ask for one since I assumed SCWF members to be knowledgeable, and frankly it was my fault.

So I overpaid a bit but I look at the bright side, I have something in my collection that I wasn't expecting - so what? As SeikoPsycho2 says, "Life's too short."

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've bought several clunkers that were described as "in good working order" that I've had to complain about, because the seller obviously hadn't tested the watch over 24hrs (a must as far as I am concerned, as obvious faults like gaining 30 minutes a day would come to light !!).

These I've asked to return, one resulting in the seller taking it back straight away, another in the seller completely ignoring me (cheap watch but it earned him a negative), one full refund with no further communication from the seller (sent the watch to Polly for repair and it's now one of my favourites) and one partial refund. The partial refund was on a watch from a seller who freely admitted he didn't know watches, and thought that the bent stem was supposed to be at that angle ! I left this seller positive feedback, posted about it on here and sent him the link so he could see I wasn't trying it on.

I've also bought some that on arrival have had me scurrying back to see if the fault was obvious in the picture. But we won't go in to that :57::57:

I think that if (like John and many others on here) you have the skill and time to repair a watch yourself, you might go for something that's maybe not 100%, even if the seller says it is. How many sellers research what they are selling and have the level of expertise to know if what they are selling is as good as they think ?

To me, deliberate deception deserves a complaint, honest ignorance of faults a polite request for return/refund, and buyer's stupidity another watch in the junk box (I've got a few :rolleyes:).

·
Special Member
4,779 Posts
"To me, deliberate deception deserves a complaint, honest ignorance of faults a polite request for return/refund, and buyer's stupidity another watch in the junk box (I've got a few )." Mr Levity

Well said, agree!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Good post John. A couple of times I have had a watch arrive with some type of defect and when I go back to the listing it was right there in the picture or in the description and I missed it. Like you said it happens. I accept what I get basically. I have never received a watch that was grossly misrepresented. Out of all the ones I have purchased I have only ever sent one back to the seller who was very pleasant about the whole thing. It was a 7A28-7049 that was very clean and was advertised as all functions working. I bid it all the way up to $225 dollars because it was very clean and I won. When I received it the chronograph hands were not lined up and that is a must for all of my chronographs! Well the large sweep hand refused to move then it did a little dance then after 30 minutes it reset and I though maybe it was just the extremely cold weather. The next day the sweep hand refused to move again. I contacted the seller who offered me a $50 dollar refund if I kept it. I send it back because I already have 5 7Aproject watches and I really wanted one I could just wear. Other than that I would say I believe I have received way more good watches than clunkers so when a clunker does show up I just say to myself lot of good parts here and part it out.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
An interesting if not provocative post John. I suspect there are many who share your opinion including yours truly. Be that as it may, I like reading these "whining posts".....it's akin to catching a glance at the National Enquirer at the grocery check outs. Just as there is a fine line between genius and insanity, so too is there a fine line between idiot and savant! That's what makes this watch collecting hobby so much fun.

Now please excuse me while I go back to sniffing my vanilla scented straps!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
An interesting if not provocative post John. I suspect there are many who share your opinion including yours truly. Be that as it may, I like reading these "whining posts".....it's akin to catching a glance at the National Enquirer at the grocery check outs. Just as there is a fine line between genius and insanity, so too is there a fine line between idiot and savant! That's what makes this watch collecting hobby so much fun.

Now please excuse me while I go back to sniffing my vanilla scented straps!
OK why does the rubber band on my Marathon JSAR dive watch still smell like vanilla even though I have owned it for over a year? I do like the smell of vanilla though! I smell like a car air freshener when I wear it though!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I agree with John wholeheartedly, we do seem to get rashes of whining threads about ebay.
Half the threads we get are where the buyer has made the mistake, and tries to make himself feel better by slagging off the seller on an internet forum.
I really fail to see how a thread about a sellers high prices or high postage is helpful to the forum. These are very obvious in the listings and if you can't see these then perhaps you deserve to be taken in. I feel much the same about the regular threads moaning about ebays fees. What on earth do you hope to achieve by whining about it on an internet forum?
Ebay is what it is, and the fees are all there for you to see, if you don't like it, don't use it.
I do think the treads which highlight a dubious seller are useful, but only when backed up with facts, and aren't just opinion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree. The only way to avoid mistakes is experience. And the main way to gain experience is to make some mistakes. As long as I don't feel deliberately lied to, I'll accept my fate.

I've been on the ignorant seller side before as well. Had an old watch that looked to be in great shape, ran fine, and everything. Took the back off, and shot pictures of it (both for my enjoyment, and later to sell the watch). Every time I had the back off, I had the watch sitting flat on my table. Sold the watch and had a rightfully angry buyer contact me saying the movement was missing the anchor screw to hold the movement in the case. First thing I did was refund his money and paid for shipping back to me. Got it back, and yep, the screw was missing. It was obvious once you looked for it. Got it fixed, and sold it later to a happy buyer. First guy was ultimately happy once he got his money back and saw that I wasn't trying to scam him. This taught me that mistakes can be made, it's how they are dealt with that matters the most.

I've also dealt with some whiners that feel like they overpaid (like that's my fault somehow), or complained about customs fees (so I split it with him and rarely sell outside the US now). Life's too short to worry about this stuff, it's supposed to be fun.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I agree. The only way to avoid mistakes is experience. Mistakes can be made, it's how they are dealt with that matters the most.
Life's too short to worry about this stuff, it's supposed to be fun.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Nuff Sed :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I am a cheap ******* and don't like to pay a lot...watches I buy usually need a bit of attention, so as long as I did my research and they're original, it's on me to get them running and looking presentable. There were times where I've gotten over my head, and there were times where all I did was clean some grunge.
Never have I returned a watch or asked for a partial refund...
Worst case scenario you have a donor for harvesting.

Rob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts