The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
ADB said:
Be my guest to test it.
Cheers,

I've got a quartz watch that'd probably benefit from this, but at the prices of the liquid (over $400/litre) I'm not in a hurry... and no, I'm not filling my watch with extra virgin olive oil either ;D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
kai_h said:
Even the Sinn UX has to go back to the factory for battery replacements - the US (and I assume other international) service centres aren't equipped to do it properly.
That's right, once every seven years...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
kai_h said:
No, but it's a clear liquid with similar optical properties...
Data sheets for the Fluorinert coolant fluids are available from 3M and you have links to them also on the page that I linked to above. The data sheets don't provide optical properties information but since these fluids are 1.8 x as dense as water, I doubt that they have similar optical properties. In particular if they absorb UV they will absorb most of the energy available in sunlight.
Cheers,

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Catalin said:
I don't know if that link was posted here:

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4960&start=0

Because of that now I am tempted to find a second-hand SBCM025 and see how it looks liquid-filled !!!

A few quick notes (barely more technical):

- I don't see that as something to be done 'home by everybody', but obviously for a small mod shop which would expect to mod in that way 100-200 watches/year the costs might be quite OK - the volume used for a single watch is probably very small; and once you get over 1000 watches or so (like for a real production, even for a more limited edition) the costs really don't matter;

- the mod on a watch/case which was not specifically designed to be filled with liquid will most likely NOT (significantly) increase the WR of the watch - the big gain would be on visibility, and specifically visibility under water;

- given the above point - the talk on compensating thermal expansion (and patenting that) is still very interesting but not something to worry about - placing inside the liquid something made of rubber (or similar) and with a volume big enough to cover thermal expansion from let's say 20C to 60C would most likely fix the immediate problems :D (except if you want to build a WR 10000m watch);

- depending on the ideal wavelength for specific solar cells used vs. the wavelength transmission of the specific liquid used I would say it's a chance of over 90% that the mod might work perfectly fine with solar watches.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
aladin_sane said:
I wonder how he is handling the fluid expansion. I would guess some sort of compressible foam ring for a movement holder. It is a pretty cool concept.
Hi,
Foam compresses because it contains hollow cavities filled with air. Putting a foam piece inside a liquid will just result in the formation of a bubble when the air inside the cavities is replaced by the liquid. I am very much guessing even closed cell type foam will over time get completely "soaked" with Fluorinert.
The Sinn UX has a specially designed complex case back with a piston to account for the expansion/contraction of the fluid. I confess I don't see what other kind of simple solution one can use to solve this issue, but most probably foam or other porous materials are not one, imo. Certainly if the author of the article has found a solution he should patent it.
Cheers,

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you check some of the G-shock forums you'll find a few guys have been doing it to their G's for awhile now. It does seem to give the watch a slightly different appearance as well as (theoretically) a much greater depth rating since the oil is much less compressible than air. But yes, for quartz only since a mechanical escapement wouldn't run through the oil.

·
Registered
845 Posts
ADB said:
Hi,
Foam compresses because it contains hollow cavities filled with air. Putting a foam piece inside a liquid will just result in the formation of a bubble when the air inside the cavities is replaced by the liquid. I am very much guessing even closed cell type foam will over time get completely "soaked" with Fluorinert.
The Sinn UX has a specially designed complex case back with a piston to account for the expansion/contraction of the fluid. I confess I don't see what other kind of simple solution one can use to solve this issue, but most probably foam or other porous materials are not one, imo. Certainly if the author of the article has found a solution he should patent it.
Cheers,
It would not be very hard to put the foam inside a rubber jacket. That would eliminate any air escape issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
could not put a piece of a large rubber band in the case when it is closed? That way the ruber would compress with the pressure increase? I might be willing to try this, I have always liked the ability to see the time from any angle on the UX.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I picked up a cheap fossil watch on ebay just to try this... do I need it? of course not. I don't dive. I rarely even swim. I like how it makes the watch look though, and I found a much less expensive silicone oil (dielectric) that I'm going to try it with. If it works I may even test an even less expensive alternative.DOT5 brake fluid is a silicone oil and has a relatively low viscosity. It does have a very faint blue tint though.

As for the issue with thermal expansion, since it is a cheap watch I purchased to experiment with, I'm going to use a rubber diaphragm with the caseback.

·
Registered
645 Posts
How about heating the whole thing and then closing the case. The thermal expansion would push extra fluid out. then its actually under vacuum a little bit. One of my concern is that if the watch is heated, will the fluid inside expand enough so that it push the crystal/crown out(and it leaks)?
or if there is room, put a single bubble out of those bubble wraps.

Rob t

·
Registered
503 Posts
otr002 said:
Sinn has done it……have a read on there web site ;)
Do you have a link? I just spent some time searching the site, but couldn't find any mention of a hydro U1. I did see this under the Hydro Section:

"That's why every HYDRO Watch must also be a quartz watch. The oscillation of the balance in a mechanical watch cannot overcome the friction of a liquid medium."

21 - 40 of 44 Posts