The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
That was very cool. That CW C6 quartz he uses is actually really nice watch too.
I'd really consider one these hydro's if that guys sold these like that. ;D
I've only seen quartz done this way, never a mechanical. I don't think a mechanical has the torque to run through the viscosity of that oil.
Also special silicone oil is used, 3M Fluorinert. At a $1000 per gallon. :-\

Still, I want one. haha. very cool. :great:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wonder how he is handling the fluid expansion. I would guess some sort of compressible foam ring for a movement holder. It is a pretty cool concept.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hmmm, how about the solar Seiko? No battery change there.
Or an eco drive. I wonder if oil will affect the charging at all?

I recall somebody posted their gshock filled with olive oil. I wonder how its going?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
LUW said:
A mechanical movement that works normally when submersed in liquid? I didn't think that was possible.
The example in the link is a Ronda 715 quartz with a 5-year theoretical battery life (but I don't think it will last that long due to the viscosity of the inert fluid, which probably necessitates extra current to overcome).
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Hmmm, how about the solar Seiko? No battery change there.
Or an eco drive. I wonder if oil will affect the charging at all?
The fluid acts as a light filter and will probably absorb 95% or more of the energy (we are not talking about a thin film of fluid here, but something probably around 1mm thick), rendering any solar powered watch useless.
This hack is a good way to turn any 200m WR watch into an unreliable piece of junk. Of course it is so expensive just to buy the fluid that the cost of the watch becomes irrelevant (probably the reason why few people have tried it until now).
Cheers,

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
ADB said:
The fluid acts as a light filter and will probably absorb 95% or more of the energy (we are not talking about a thin film of fluid here, but something probably around 1mm thick), rendering any solar powered watch useless.
This hack is a good way to turn any 200m WR watch into an unreliable piece of junk. Of course it is so expensive just to buy the fluid that the cost of the watch becomes irrelevant (probably the reason why few people have tried it until now).
Cheers,
Hmmm interesting about oil rendering the solar useless. Shame.

About the mechanical mov't, Sinn UX is good example of this, no?

I would say its a unreliable junk per se. Its just kinda unnecessary, as to who would need to dive so deep to need this.
Its probably just a fad all this oil stuff. But its cool and different. Be a pain for battery changes and service.

People will strive to do the impossible, or thought of something incredibly impossible.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ADB said:
I beg to differ. The liquid is crystal clear. You can see through it - therefore light can pass through it. I'd estimate that at most it'd be a 5-10% reduction in the light reaching the photovoltaic panel in the face of the watch. Try putting a regular solar panel under a film of water a couple of mm thick - there will be no significant change in the power output.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
ADB said:
John,
Bad choice, I am afraid. You want something with as long a battery life as possible.
Cheers,
Why so negative? Change the battery with the oil. Worry about dead battery when it dies. I have a drawer full of quartz with dead batteries and they don't even have oil in them.

I could get hit by a bus tomorrow but that doesn't stop me from buying green bananas.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
kai_h said:
I beg to differ. The liquid is crystal clear. You can see through it - therefore light can pass through it. I'd estimate that at most it'd be a 5-10% reduction in the light reaching the photovoltaic panel in the face of the watch. Try putting a regular solar panel under a film of water a couple of mm thick - there will be no significant change in the power output.
Be my guest to test it. ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
nhoJ said:
Why so negative? Change the battery with the oil.
John, you and I change our quartz watch batteries (well OK, you don't ;) ) but lots of people bring them to their watchmaker... who obviously is not going to refill the watch.
Changing a battery takes a few minutes at most and costs $3, this hack looks like a PITA with a relatively high cost and most probably will ruin any normal watch (i.e. a watch not specially designed as the Sinn UX is).
Cheers,

·
Registered
277 Posts
ADB said:
...this hack looks like a PITA with a relatively high cost and most probably will ruin any normal watch (i.e. a watch not specially designed as the Sinn UX is).
Cheers,

Even the Sinn UX has to go back to the factory for battery replacements - the US (and I assume other international) service centres aren't equipped to do it properly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts