The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should warn US readers - the (UK) Daily Mail is a notoriously poor newspaper. But I saw this while looking for info on false Rolexes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1019598/An-idiots-guide-buying-fake-Rolex.html

To really know how good they are, I need to compare my [fake Rolex] watches to the real thing. I make an appointment to see Simon Bodle, managing director of David Morris Stores, which has a thriving concession in Selfridges.

Although he is impressed by the quality of my fakes, he too struggles to see any difference between them. ‘I’d guess that this was the more expensive one,’ he says, gesturing towards the Submariner. Great, so my £100 fake is more convincing than my £400 fake.
..After inspecting the fakes, Bodle guesses that the movements were manufactured by Swiss firm ETA, which is owned by Swatch and supplies most of the Swiss watch industry.
This is confirmed by a quick look at the websites. And yet, just because my fake boasts a genuine Swiss movement, that doesn’t make it anything like a £400 watch.
The ETA movement in these fakes probably cost them about a fiver,’ explains Bodle. ‘The case would also have cost about a fiver and the whole thing was probably assembled for 50p in a filthy sweatshop in China..’
???

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wonder what kind of movement is in the watches on the David Morris website. Wouldn't mind betting they're ETA.
I really wish I knew where to buy ETA movements for a fiver. I could make my fortune.
Regards
Dave

·
Registered
964 Posts
I do not know the real figures, but first of all we should clarify:
a) which beta ETA auto movement do we speak about (the 2428 or the "Swatch"-movement)
b) do we speak about a genuine ETA or a faked one.
c) most iportant, what cost do we speak about (productioncost incl. overhead, retail price, ...?

To not only let you only with questions:
I read somewhere (without being able to validate it), that an ETA 2428 clone can be bought for $15 in China (and unfortunately, I do not know the minimum purchase quantity of that price).

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Daily Mail claims that the person they spoke to was a reasonable authority and (implicitly) that they didn't mangle what he said. The article clearly says that the "ETA" movement is genuine - they make a point of it being "Swiss". And "Bodle guesses that the movements were manufactured by Swiss firm ETA"

My conclusion - this is a bad article even for a famously bad newspaper! I can't believe that even the most basic ETA auto movement can be bought for £5. I might *just* strain to believe it of a Chinese fake ETA...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Axel66 said:
I do not know the real figures, but first of all we should clarify:
a) which beta ETA auto movement do we speak about (the 2428 or the "Swatch"-movement)
They didn't say. I'd strain to believe that either could be bought for £5!

b) do we speak about a genuine ETA or a faked one.
The article clearly says genuine.

c) most iportant, what cost do we speak about (productioncost incl. overhead, retail price, ...?
The article makes it clear(ish) that they mean the movement will cost the watchmaker £5 when they buy it from ETA.

To not only let you only with questions:
I read somewhere (without being able to validate it), that an ETA 2428 clone can be bought for $15 in China (and unfortunately, I do not know the minimum purchase quantity of that price).
That sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
rubbish.

The 2824 comes in 5 grades and the cheapest is around $60 at wholesale quantity prices. You can get a Stelita SW200 for around the same price.

·
Registered
187 Posts
scuttle said:
I should warn US readers - the (UK) Daily Mail is a notoriously poor newspaper. But I saw this while looking for info on false Rolexes:

???
What are their (author and Bodle) credentials to be able to evaluate the country of origin and manufacturer of a watch movement. Given the reputation of the Daily Mail I would not believe anything I read in it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Mail used to be a reasonable paper before I left the UK some 7 years ago.

Is there a particular reason for its demise (ie new owners) ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
catflem said:
The Mail used to be a reasonable paper before I left the UK some 7 years ago.
Perhaps there are two countries called the UK, both of which have Daily Mails?

(Sorry.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts