The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello SCWF,
Here's my restoration of a weary, water damaged Divex 500. The case was free from corrosion and pitting and with the new gaskets, will be made waterproof again. The top half of the dial must have had water trapped inside for a while because the silver printing, black paint and lume plots came off while cleaning (one is stuck temporarily with white glue!:grin:). I'll be trying my hand at a reluming job once I get the necessary tools and material and giving the whole thing a matte varnish spray from a distance to get a vintage textured look.

I sanded the case and polished it by hand to get rid of most of the deep scratches but some still remain. All I needed was a new VX42 and it was good to go! A real survivor! I didn't want to cut off the hardcore shoulderless spring bars it came with so I'll be getting a grey or Olive NATO to complete it. A new bezel insert is on it's way too; the measurements dictate that I use a Seiko H558 insert but at $29, is three times the price I paid for my watch. A cheaper Citizen insert will be fixed once it's received.

Please excuse the long stem, still new to movement disassembly and stem cutting so I haven't got around to shortening it!:)

On to the photos-

Seller's photos

Yikes! That movement and stem don't look too good!

Everything stripped to assess damage. The case looks like its seen enough action...

The crystal has "dimples" of missing glass

The damage on the dial. Oh well, at least the cool Divex guy is unharmed!

That cool ghost insert... Wish I could keep it but it's hard to read during the day.

Much better, polishing done, before the Autosol stage

After some Autosol...Traces of the original brushed finish remain in hard to reach places though.

Fresh VX42 installed. The debris are dust and the silver print rubbing away.

All complete. The seconds hand hits the markings all the way! I was too eager to case everything up that I didn't clean the hands :eek:hmy:

The lume is still active on the dial.

One last parting shot.

Thanks for reading! I'll update the thread with new photos once the insert is here and the stem is shortened. I've had a lot of fun working on this restoration and I'm looking forward to more divers with cool backstories to restore. Now to find a 7548!:grin:

EDIT: Oops! I've posted this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to relocate this to the Mods sub forum.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think those things are super cool :) Have you considered spraying the bezel insert with a a coat of clear to make it a little easier to read before you change it out? The clear will darken the faded paint somewhat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think those things are super cool :) Have you considered spraying the bezel insert with a a coat of clear to make it a little easier to read before you change it out? The clear will darken the faded paint somewhat.
Yes they are! I've followed a few on eBay and they sold for a lot more than the actual dealer price as well.
Thanks for the idea! I was going to "slightly" fade the new insert anyway!;)

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
hey without pics...we can see what u have done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Photobucket gave everyone the shaft some time ago. You need to relax.
I am totally relaxed....
It's because we sometimes find threads through Google, and when we try to see the pics, they're not there.
I never used Photobucket, and I never really liked it.
Forums shouldn't use this system of redirecting links to pictures.
Some forums do accept the picture uploads. Much better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts