The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a relatively inexpensive non running A7123 Divers style SQ Sports 100 in June.
The bezel didn't turn nor did the day and date wheels and the crown was stuck.

I have done a very basic rebuild and modification as a learning exercise.
Case = A7123 8380
Dial 8229 801LT (The original got badly scratched due to me).
Hands = From original movement
New movement = Miyota 1S02
Crown = Yellow Non Seiko (can't remember the spec)
Case gasket = FH3030BOA
Bracelet = original Z343
Bezel was gummed up with what I think was salt. (A little warm water and a thin knife then some WD40 got it turning again).

While asking questions and doing some trial and error work I have had a lot of fun working on this and learnt a lot about how to handle the various parts and which tools/materials I need to do this type of modification.

Once the house move is out of the way I hope to learn how to actually repair a movement but one step at a time.

Now to see if it keeps working and doesn't let the rain in (I'm not going to get it pressure tested as I don't dive and won't be selling it).

My thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far,
Bern

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice one man, the first one is always the hardest. Looks great!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice job, the bug has now bitten you, start with a basic set of tools then let it take over a whole room in your house, like it has for quite a few of us on this forum.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nicely done Bern, it looks great, My first was an 8229-602a my wife gave me. I had Seiko repair it for me. You have done a mighty job doing yours yourself.Transporter is right, once that bug bites and you see what's out there, the fun begins!!
Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies.
What fascinates me most about watches is the combination of form and function. Learning and building something affordable that is useful and also looks good is to me a great way to spend time.

A whole room! Now there's a thought. :)

To help me get a basic understanding of how these machines work I bought a "First Time Clock" for kids (£8 incl postage). This is a plastic self assembly educational toy which is spring powered.
I am now looking at plans for a wooden watch case and bracelet so it looks like I've got myself a long term hobby. :)

Thanks for looking and the comments, they are very much appreciated.
It's good to know what my peers think as it helps me improve.

Pity I could not find a suitable screw down yellow crown for the IS02,
Bern

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
Good job on sticking with it, but is it me or is the dial on the pith by a few degrees?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7s26b,
Nice spot. You must have eagle eyes. :)

The small bars on the dial were originally too long for the original chapter(?) ring to sit flush with the dial face.
So I filed the ends down off each one. (Which was "interesting").
I think the dial is otherwise OK.
Thank you for your help with getting me this far.

Incidentally there is a tiny bit of rodico still on the end of the 2 hr bar which was what I used to hold each one in place when test fitting.
I have left it there as a reminder to be more careful when handling the next dial! :)

Any thoughts on a suitable screw down yellow crown please?
Bern

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
An original crown for the case is available in gold colour, but as it's screw down- and the part is a crown and stem together, is the original crown separable from the stem, or not?.
Even if it is - is your Miyota stem the same tap(thread size) as the Seiko crown?
If it isn't - some more jiggery pokery will be necessary to join the two correctly.
See this thread for what I mean about joining dissimilar stems http://www.thewatchsite.com/34-watchmaking-tinkering/129434-orange-monster-movement-swap.html
Part number 50E11NA1 CROWN, YELLOW W/STEM

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
7s26b,
Jiggery Pokery - that sounds like my current level of technical skill, one step up from shove piggy shove.

Thank you again for your help.
I will look at the orange monster thread and, if appropriate, see if anyone has a 50E11NA1 set.

I am currently wearing the modified watch which gives me a small boost of confidence every time I look at it i.e. did I do that!

Bern
Update.
1S02 tap size. I have found a spec sheet at the followinghttp://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/download/pdf/spec_1S13_1S02.pdf.
Seiko taps seem to start at 10mm?
I haven't come up with anything using the Seiko part number 50E11NA1 and description. Any suggestions on possible sources will be very much appreciated.

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
1S02 appears to be tap10 or 1mm, you'll need to see how the new crown is constructed before you can do much else.
PM seikochrono (Stefan), he has access to a lot of parts, or you might be forced to ask an American member to order you one from Jules Borel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7s26b,
Thank you for the information on this.
I have put a WTB on the marketplace part of the forum for this set and will PM seikochrono as you suggest.
Bern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts