The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dear friends,

as my watch box is full of divers I would like to buy a Seiko Chrono and a vintage KS dress watch. Unfortunately I am not an expert and need some advise…I found these to watches and I like them, but I am not sure if the watches are legit. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Martin
Watch Analog watch Photograph Black Clock
Silver Font Badge Emblem Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font
Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

·
First Lady
2,811 Posts
I did notice the crown protrudes too much, and may be bigger? I was also thinking the dial may have been touched up, as the white paint on the subdial looks TOO white, for the age of the watch, compared to the white of my blue dials. I could just be trippin’, though…. I WAS able to authenticate the hands, this time, thanks to you guys…

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
940 Posts
I agree with the above … the Pogue dial could be a relume. The plots look a bit uneven, like maybe whoever did it relumed it under little or no magnification. Or it may just have been scraped a bit to remove some discolored areas. And the crown is definitely too thick. None of this would be a show stopper to me.

As for the King Seiko … I know bupkes about King Seiko. But the medallion looks nice.

·
First Lady
2,811 Posts
I don’t know a lot about King Seikos either, but nothing jumps out at me. It looks like others I’ve seen. I would feel better about buying that, than I wouldI the Pogue. The subdial just doesn’t match up with the rest of it. Could it have been switched out from another blue dial Pogue? Can they even be switched out?

·
Registered
529 Posts
It's as rare to find a faked dress watch as it seems to be to find a real Pogue (at least from the posts I read here...). Watch out for polishing that has messed up the case and make sure the quick set hasn't stripped it's gears if you're getting a weekdater.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I will buy them, the price is good and there are no show stoppers to me. According to the seller the crown/stem works as it should, so I assume the stem is correct and the crown is a replacement. Maybe I’ll live with the thicker crown or replace it, either way you will see them soon in the wruw thread 😬 🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
95 Posts
A word on the KS and any 5200 series; there is a well known day/date and a quickset issue - some have a plastic star gear to advance the quickset day/date, some have metal. I’m not sure if anyone has cracked the nut as to which models/years have which. That would make finding a cheap LM donor (same part) much easier. The plastics ones almost always fail, often if serviced, making the quickset useless. I tend to look for an explicit mention whether quickset works or not. Oh and I should mention that the part runs in 90$ range. Besides that, theses are excellent compact movements. My personal preference however is for the 5621, three hander :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Wolfgang!

The quickset seems to work according to the seller, but I have that in mind…I know what you mean about three hander, the clean look, set the time and go and dont worry about parts that can fail 😬 but I also like the kanji day 😍

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both look like honest pieces.

For the KS, as mentioned, the calendar gear can be toast. If it is, you need to budget for that. There are very good reproductions in steel ($40), grab one and have it replaced during service.

You need to account for a new crown, winding stem, stem gear and spring for the 6139. These in total range in price from $60 dependent on condition and originality. Spend some extra to get the original parts as the condition of the watch deserves nothing less.

·
Special Member
3,220 Posts
To my untrained eye the KS looks legit, but some things about that 6139 does not sit well with me. First the crown looks incorrect. The chapter ring doesn’t look right to me either and lastly something about the dial overall just doesn’t look right. If you can score the KS at a decent price I’d say go for it but I would walk away from the chrono.
Cheers!
Mike

·
First Lady
2,811 Posts
To my untrained eye the KS looks legit, but some things about that 6139 does not sit well with me. First the crown looks incorrect. The chapter ring doesn’t look right to me either and lastly something about the dial overall just doesn’t look right. If you can score the KS at a decent price I’d say go for it but I would walk away from the chrono.
Cheers!
Mike
Exactly what I said, but others think “it’s close enough to work on”.
Here is what you want:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought both, considering the extra cost. I have a watchmaker who takes care of my watches, but I might get back to you guys for a source for the parts. Here are two more pictures of the Pogue, as soon as I have them in my hands I will make more pictures...thanks again to everyone

Watch Light Analog watch Clock Font
Photograph White Light Product Watch

·
First Lady
2,811 Posts
I bought both, considering the extra cost. I have a watchmaker who takes care of my watches, but I might get back to you guys for a source for the parts. Here are two more pictures of the Pogue, as soon as I have them in my hands I will make more pictures...thanks again to everyone

View attachment 488932 View attachment 488933
Congrats! Enjoy both.

·
Special Member
3,782 Posts
I think the 6139 is very good. If you can get a better black chapter ring that would really make the watch pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
News 😬🤗

The Seikos arrived yesterday, the KS needs a Service and a new crystal.

The 6139 looks very good to me. The dial, the indicator ring, the hands are good. I like the faded indicator ring that has now the same color as the ss case. I think the crystal is a polished mineral crystal that has spots all over the surface. The crown is wrong but thanks to scubarob99 I was aware of that issue.

I will now source a new crown and a crystal and let my watchmaker do the magic of a full service with new gaskets and than enjoy the beautiful watch 😬

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts