The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the treatment has started, I've filled a pot with alum powder and then hot water, dropped in the crown with snapped stem and out a lid on it and left it on my water pump in my airing cupboard, well two days now and nothing! I know some people say up to nine days but I'm getting impatient haha.
Every day I give it a swirl to mix up the alum powder that settles in the bottom of the pot.
I'll keep you posted as to the progress, fingers crossed something is going to happen soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh well 5 days soaking and not abit of chemical reaction on the stem at all, I'm really hoping its not a stainless stem!!! Anyone else had no reaction with this method?
 

·
Craftsman
Joined
·
326 Posts
I tried this in vain on a two piece stem, hoping that one part was a different metal to the other. It wasn't, but I recall that it took almost two weeks before I saw the corrosion telling me that the stem wasn't stainless.

I've read that it can take up to three weeks to do what you're trying so my advice is to be patient and please keep us updated :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,732 Posts
patience is key..would be a shame to have it ruined...pics would help too...i am sure someone on here must have went thru this....dont give up hope
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, I've started again with the advice from another forum (vintage waches) and I've changed to a glass container ( as opposed to plastic) re-done the ratio of powder to water and started with near boiling water. So hopefully in 3 weeks time I might have a result.
 

·
Craftsman
Joined
·
3,935 Posts
I've been trying the same process with no luck on 6139 crowns + stems. I've been using a plastic container. So is there hope in a glass container and what is the ratio mix of powder to liquid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I done 4 tablespoons to a small jar (sandwich spread) and added the near boiling water, I'm still waiting for a sign that things are happening, patience I'm told is the key
 

·
Researcher
Joined
·
5,311 Posts
Are we there yet ??, are we there yet?? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Get a webcam pointed at that bad boy, I want to see what's happening, the tension is killing me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Killing you, everyday I go to the cupboard and look and shake the jam jar and still the remains of the stem are there!!!
Although there is an amount of black sediment type of particles settling on the bottom, so who knows it might be working, the jar does cool down during the day and gets warmed back up in the evenings when my boiler turns on, so that might be slowing up the process
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
My money is on SS- I went back to the 6138 crown I mentioned and soaked it for a week in vinegar- no change. Could the black sediment be from the metal lid of the jar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
776 Posts
Hate to spoil your day but there is not much that will dissolve stainless steel except high concentrations of sulphuric.

My suggestion would be hydrochloric but only if the crown and stem are mild steel and only in small doses.

Another suggestion is heating the housing until you can just bear to touch and then quench in good old Penetrene. Worked for me.
 

·
Researcher
Joined
·
5,311 Posts
I think that in one of the links I read, that they accelerated the process a little by poking the debris from the crown, periodically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I've had a look today and I've given it a poke, I can only assume that the stem is stainless steel as its still shiney and intact
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
I've done this a few times. My first experience was saving a 6117-6019 crown. The only diver I've done was a 7002 crown. If I remember right it usually takes me 2-3 weeks. I've never bothered with measuring, heating, or container material. I usually use plastic and my measuring consists of making a fully saturated solution with hot tap water (add alum and stir until it stops dissolving). It has worked flawlessly every time I've done it. I wouldn't think a watch that age would have a stainless stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for that reply mate, I'll just leave it in there soaking and check in on it every couple of days and keep everyone informed as to how it goes. I know keeping it warm is meant to help speed up the process, but like everything in watches patience and time are the key to a successful job.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top