The Watch Site banner

Is there any point to display casebacks on undecorated movements?

• Yes

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Don't know/care

Votes: 7 15.9%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a thread on another site discussing features on watches that are turn offs. One comment I found quite interesting was that a guy found display casebacks on movements that aren't decorated are pointless and a deal ebraker for him. In parentheses he added "(I'm looking at you Seiko)".

I found this interesting as I had wondered whether there was any point too. Let's be honest, the 7S26 won't win any prizes for looks, and I must say I am a little underwhelmed by the 6R15 when you compare it to an Orient Star in the same price bracket. The Orient Stars look good - the 6R15 not much better than the 7S26.
So, I've decided to conduct a poll. What do you think?

If you comment, please also vote.

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
It's not as easy to hide a fake movement? Although I don't know why anybody would swap in a ringer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had clear casebacks on all my modded seiko 007's but that's only because I wanted to mod them completely. In the end I put all the original backs on because they look better I'm my opinion and I was worried about affecting the wr.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I vote yes. Doesn't matter how austere the movement is - I love being able to see the mechanics. I don't go out of my way to find a display back but when they are there it always reminds me to appreciate the little wonder that is a mechanical watch movement. And that appreciation doesn't have anything to do with Côtes de Genève...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I must admit I am that sort of person that likes to see how things work, it doesn't need to be finely finished or heavily polished up but it always looks nice to do that.
Watches especially interest me in the way they work and just love to relax to the smooth action of a watch in the same way people relax by watching fish swim about in a tank.:2cents:

·
Registered
74 Posts
In my eyes the cheapest of mechanical movements through a window will almost always look better than a plain stainless steel case back.

In the past I have swapped a Seiko 5 display back onto my SKX Divers. I do not take them anywhere deeper than a swimming pool or the beach and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I like clear case backs as it allows you to show non WIS' a mechanical watch movement and how it works.

However they sit higher on the wrist than a non display case back and are not always as comforatable depending ont he size of the watch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i like them. on all of my other mechanical watches, i see the solid back and wonder "what does it look like in there"? well, with an exhibition back, i know what it looks like. would i like to see a well finished and multicolored mechanism? absolutely! but i'll take the nondescript workhorse just the same.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's not as easy to hide a fake movement? Although I don't know why anybody would swap in a ringer.
Exactly. Prior to the display backs, Seiko and other makers resorted to various external markings that were supposed to dissuade the counterfeiters.

Seiko etched a '5' logo on the crystal( just like Rolex did with their coronet).
This began near the end of the 7009 calibre production but was a bit of a failure because the fakers picked it up almost right away and started putting it on all their fakes.
Seiko stopped this practice and developed display backs to retard the flourishing fake Seiko market. This was how many of the 7009 watches ended production and a lot of the new 7s26 calibre watches began. It was pretty much specialty watches that still retained solid backs; like divers, pilots and field style watches. Many of the fake dive watches appeared with the etched crystals but that became a dead giveaway that the watch was a fake.
The fakers being what they are then developed fake 7009 movements to fool the display back ruse. They carried this into the 7s26 watches as well.

There is no keeping the fakers down since even though it makes no sense to most folks; there is a decent profit to be made.

Aesthetics wise, the 7s26 isn't any less appealing than the standard ETA offerings which also sport display backs.

·
Registered
931 Posts
While I do like the see the mechanism in action in a skeleton watch that is designed to showcase the movement . putting a clear presentation caseback on a workhorse movement especially with an automatic rotor is as exciting to look at as a quartz watch movement with a battery . Not exciting at all....kinda like kissing your sister .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with this also. I don't think Seiko does it to show off the beauty of the 7s26- they do it to make things more difficult for the counterfeiters. It can't stop them completely but at least it makes them put some real effort into it. Hard to believe there's money to be made faking Seiko 5's but I guess there is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For the uninitiated, the automatic movement is quite fascinating when viewed for the first time. So yes, the 7S26 is a plain jane but it is a lot better looking than a quartz movement....
Charlie

·
Registered
300 Posts
I love a good case back. Sea Lions, Sea Horses, Tsunamis, even the simple old horseshoe. Love the Citizen diver and the Omega sea-monster, whatever it is. For me, I would only like a display back to look at a truly beautiful movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
For the uninitiated, the automatic movement is quite fascinating when viewed for the first time. So yes, the 7S26 is a plain jane but it is a lot better looking than a quartz movement....
Charlie
This is exactly what I was going to say. Not owning anything with a decorated movement, I just like to see what's going on inside. I'd love to see one of my 6206s with a display back.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to say. Not owning anything with a decorated movement, I just like to see what's going on inside. I'd love to see one of my 6206s with a display back.

All looks a bit pointless for a 7S26, now for something like this:-

Perhaps.......................:undecided:

·
Special Member
27,990 Posts
If the Watch comes from the Factory with a DB Then "It Is What It Is" Enjoy the Original Intentions of Said Watch... If One installs a Display back Enjoy your Customized Watch ;) The only reason I need for a DB is if the movement is Very Unique to me. Or as said A Skeleton Watch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Display casebacks

I have had some watches with them but currently I do not. They are OK but I do not like them in general, mostly from a durability standpoint as most of my watches are divers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts