The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hello folks,

I just wanted to make you aware of an eBay seller, relichhunter724, who seems to be dishonest.

He has a older Seiko "High-Beat" Grand Seiko on auction, that has already been bid up to US US$565.00

I noticed that in the description he calls it a "6145-8000" but that the dial is from a 6146-8000, and the movement also has the day and date. Yet the case back is from 6145-8000.

And with statements like "The original movement in this wristwatch is automatic 6146A", I thought I would point out that his listing is not very honest.

*** My message to him *****************************

Details about item: cincicurator sent a message about THE 1'st "GS" of "HI-BEAT AUTO GRAND SEIKO 6145-8000 1960's Cup Gold #251765481487

Uh, your listing says it is a 6145, which is a date only model, but the dial and movement are from a 6146, the day/date version.

So I guess the case-back is from a different watch, don't you think you should mention this in your listing??

Not a very honest listing...

- Thomas (cincicurator)

*** His first response ****************************

Dear cincicurator,

Thanks for the heads up. Whoever buys the watch is looking at the pictures of the watch, movement, dial, back cover, etcetera.

- relichhunter724

*** His second response ***************************

Dear cincicurator,

I re-read you message and just noticed that you are calling me dishonest, only one nut case from Ohio that want it a partial refund and now you have done that.

I uploaded close up pictures of the whole watch so that should describe the watch better than words, the title and description means nothing.

I found a similar watch that sold and used the same title and some of the description, I know nothing about Seiko watches nor I care to know, to me they are garbage.

You are probably one of those people that look for mistakes on listings to get partial refunds and to me those people are dishonest. You have yourself a good day.

Regards,

Ebed

- relichhunter724

Ha! He steals the title and description from someone else's auction, claims that the title and description text in an auction "means nothing", and wants to call me dishonest. :-D

I would avoid this seller if I were you.

- Thomas

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not so sure that was trying to be dishonest, based on the fact he is listing the watch as he sees it (caseback number, actual caliber that is in it, etc). And really, you did call the guy dishonest when he looks to have listed the watch to best of his ability. I would get pretty bent over that myself. It's possible that guy just doesn't know that caseback numbers and calibers need to match. He went as far as to give the movement as a 6146A, if he was trying to be shady would he have opened that watch up to give the movement number? I kinda doubt it.

Having said all that, the dude went batchit with his second response to you, and he definitely could have handled that better.

When I have had guys point out an error in my listing, I thank them, research it, and update if necessary. Recently I was selling a watch and a dude sent an email to ask if the caseback matched since it wasn't in the photos. I immediately thanked him and uploaded a photo, then continued to have a small conversation with him over email. Had he tried to call me dishonest for making a mistake I would have been nice, but no happy watchmaking hobbyist conversation would have ensued.

The problem with Ebay has become that every seller thinks every buyer is out to rip them off, and every buyer thinks every seller is out to rip them off. It's a shame really. People just need to give each other the benefit of the doubt and be nice. But, Ebay makes it so easy for a seller to lose their shirt (I've had it happen as a seller several times) that it's almost a lost cause. Sad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What's the hurry of calling someone dishonest? Can't he be mistaken? Can you proof he did it on porpouse?
Nothing good can come from this.
This helps nobody. A real shame.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I would have to agree. eBay has become one huge mess. Their policy changes over the years have made everything worse and their incredible greed and ways of finding new ways to add more fees every single year are really starting to make the whole site a bad place. It also seems that more and more people who are just flat out rude jerks seem to be on eBay. Shill bidding has become the normal way to run any auction for any expensive item. All you can really do these days if find the few good people out there and just buy from them. If you are selling you are really screwed. The site is loaded with scammers who win item take delivery than claim damage or undisclosed defects then demand more money off the item or they will leave bad feedback and eBay always sides with the buyer even with zero evidence to support their claims. Feedback mean nothing. I came across a seller with over 100 negative feedbacks left just in the past 12 months and another 120 neutral! eBay does not care just as long as that seller keeps paying the outrageous selling fees. It takes forever to find anything on eBay that is not overpriced or just 100% junk. Huge warehouse stores have driven prices down on most things small sellers have been crushed and pushed out. It pretty much not worth listing your items on eBay anymore by the time you get done with all of the bad.

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
I'm not seeing any real dishonesty here, there's good quality pics showing all the model codes on dial, caseback and movement. If he was knowingly hiding anything he wouldn't have shown all those pics. Looks to me like a simple mistake from somebody who doesn't know much about Seikos.

eBay always sides with the buyer even with zero evidence to support their claims.
Just as an aside, i had a buyer report an item not received a couple of months ago. I had used Royal Mail Signed for (like i always do) and the tracking showed it as delivered and signed for with the buyer's surname. Ebay sided with me.

The moral of the story is - always use tracked delivery!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well I did not want to go into the story but its a bit long but this is what I am encountering on eBay these days. I have a large collection of scale model airplanes that I have lost interest in. I don't need the money but they take up space and I have over 250 kits so its time for 95% of them to got. I want them gone quick so I am listing most of them at about 50% off retail so they sell quick.
I put up a new kit that has a retail of $49 bucks and also included with the kit I put another $50 dollars worth of extra resin detail parts that allow you to pose the control surfaces and extra detail. All together its about $100 dollars worth of stuff. I list it for $45 bucks with FREE SHipping. It get purchased in two days and I ship it off. About two weeks later and 5 days after the buyer has had the kit in his hands he emails me to tell me one of the resin detailed parts is warped but just give me $10 bucks back and that will fix the problem. I told him no if your not happy with the kit or it was damaged during shipping to return the kit and I will refund his money and his cost of return shipping.
His next email he goes nuts and tells me that now the part is broken no longer warped and that I knew it was broken when I shipped it even though there is a clear picture of the detail kit in the listing.
I explained you already got a killer deal. I lost $45 dollars on the sale already. If an extra detail parts is damaged then ship it back and I'll add the kit to my keeper plié.
His next email he accuses me of knowing the part was broken before I shipped it bearing in mind this is a $10 dollar extra detail part.
So I told him so you think my master plan was to sell a kit and lose $45 dollars on the sale so I could hide a $10 dollar extra detail part in the box with all of the other extra detail parts? That's why I have 10 years of absolutely perfect feedback because that's how I do business?
His only reply was you knew it was broken when you shipped it and I have not heard from him since. I told him look if you think I knew it was broken and put it in there then just return the whole kit and I will refund the whole sale AND pay 100% of the return shipping. That was two days ago and I have not heard from him since. He was 100% happy with what he had. It is possible that the resin detail part did have a bit of a warp to it. About 50% of all resin model detail parts that are thin will often warp a little. A real model builder just heats up the plastic with some hot tap water and works it back into shape. The 50% discount he got was not good enough he wanted even more money off. He never initiated a return so I'm guessing he is keeping the kit he just wanted to try and get it even cheaper. This is the type of scum you have to deal with when you sell on eBay. AT this point I seriously though about taking the 100 or so kits I have left and plié them up in the yard and just burning them rather than deal with scum like this person.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm not seeing any real dishonesty here, there's good quality pics showing all the model codes on dial, caseback and movement. If he was knowingly hiding anything he wouldn't have shown all those pics. Looks to me like a simple mistake from somebody who doesn't know much about Seikos.

Just as an aside, i had a buyer report an item not received a couple of months ago. I had used Royal Mail Signed for (like i always do) and the tracking showed it as delivered and signed for with the buyer's surname. Ebay sided with me.

The moral of the story is - always use tracked delivery!
and this dirt bag even knowing he signed for it still tried to see if he could steal the item. Maybe hoping you would not notice the email or were to busy. I here the mail service in Italy is so bad they steal everything and anything shipped and delivery empty boxes and there is no insurance available for the seller.

·
Administrator
34,618 Posts
and this dirt bag even knowing he signed for it still tried to see if he could steal the item. Maybe hoping you would not notice the email or were to busy. I here the mail service in Italy is so bad they steal everything and anything shipped and delivery empty boxes and there is no insurance available for the seller.

I have heard that many times but i have shipped insured/tracked a lot of times to Italy and never had a problem and found the buyers to be perfect (fingers crossed/touch wood).

Every time i go to the post office the postmaster always warns me if i am shipping to the USA !! but i have never had a problem going there either.

What ever i ship and what ever the value i send insured/tracked and if the buyer doesent want to pay the shipping I either cover the extra cost myself or don't deal, so easy :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I myself have never had a request to every ship to Italy buy I keep seeing it on many sellers sites about Italy? A couple other places to. I will do international but I pick only certain countries. The UK Australia Japan Canada France and Spain. All are places I have exported to with zero problems. The others I have just heard to many stories about and I am not desperate to sell anything. Mostly its model kits I check the exporting OK for. It seems model building is very popular in Europe and often the more expensive and rarer kits I sell end up going to Europe and I get my price and no fuss.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Hmmm, ill play the part of Cynic al here.
Lets suppose the watch listed was for E.G a 6105 8xxx with a 6309 7290 case back and listed as a 6309 7290 with lots of pics and a start price of £50. I wonder just how many people would message the seller telling him its real worth? Its half a dozen of one and 6 of the other me thinks.

I see lots of these type threads on many watch forums, "Dishonest Ebayer" and its always because the watch is not what it seems in a negative way and never visa versa.
Having said that i do recall a thread on this forum where a prominent SCWF member posted that he did message a seller on the bay to say that the watch he was selling was worth considerably more than than the seller had estimated.

Ive been on the receiving end of "yes its perfect", only to find the item is not worth more than scrap. (not watch related) and i sent the seller lots of pics of his less than perfect item. he had no argument and full refund was given.
If someone says the item you sold them is damaged or is not as described, ask them for pics.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A couple I times I have been Seiko surfing on the bay and run across a seller who sells a bit of everything with a listing with one of those really bad Chinese Fako's . You know the ones that have a date and the then painted box on the dial next to it that says "Day"
It was obvious the seller did not know what it was so I sent a polite email explaining it was a counterfeit item and a very poor one at that and that if it did sell it would only lead to bad feedback and headaches. Both email back and thanked me. One told me he though there was something off about the watch but he was not knowledgeable enough about watches to be sure.
There are still good sellers on eBay. If you see a seller who definitely deals in watches and you see overpriced watches with junk restorations emailing them about it is most likely a waste of time. They know exactly what they are doing selling junk for top dollar. They are waiting for the novice collector to come along and hammer them for a big profit.
There is one eBay seller who always has 20 or 30 Seiko watches listed. He always has about 15 non functional Seiko that are pretty beat up and the asking prices are higher than you can typically buy a mint example for. I am willing to bet some here probably know just buy my description which seller name it is. He uses the same listing for every watch and just changes the first few sentences and every listing title says 4YOU2FIX at the end. Another seller looking for a novice to come along to make a huge score selling junk. I would not even consider most of these 4U2FIX watches parts watches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.