The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd never come across this type of band link retainer...and of course, now I have two of them.

I've apparently made it very difficult in my head, as I can't determine how to remove a link with this type of retainer.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Well hello this is a common one
All it appears is to move the pin outward
Seems very straightforward to me
You will need a strong tool to ease those clips out
The band appears very dirty and I would clean it before removing the links
A ultra sonic cleaner would really help loosen it up for sure
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yep, first clean the band. Than take some sturdy pin, push into the whole and up, towards the side where the holes are. The splint/flat piece of metal will come up a bit out of the bracelet. Take it out and the bracelet will separate there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
These are one of the commonest type of removable adjustment links used in Seiko folded link construction bracelets.
Do exactly as instructed by the two previous posters - especially with regard to cleaning them thoroughly first.
I generally ease the retainers out using the tip of an old gash 1mm screwdriver. However sometimes they can be really tight, even after cleaning - in which case you may need to buy yourself a purpose made pair of pliers. I use these:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys...very helpful. I did try the method mentioned by John and Phil, but noting came close to moving and I was concerned about damaging the band in the process. That tool Dazzler shows is just what the Dr. ordered. I believe I can make one from an old pair of needle nose pliers. I agree also that running the band through the ultrasonic will make the work much easier. Thanks again for the assistance. Best, Dan

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good Luck with making a pair of custom pliers, Dan. You'll need to case harden the tips if it's to succeed - and last. If you intend working on Seiko's (be they 7Axx's or 7Txxx's) long term, those A*F pliers are definitely a worthwhile investment @ around £20. In my experience, the reluctance of some bracelet link retainers to slide out easily can be down to dirt jammed behind them, but sometimes it's also because of their tight manufacturing tolerances - and particularly the size of the stamped 'pip'.

I first encountered a similar problem, 10 years ago, with the p/n SA160 bracelet used on the Orient J39x01-70 divers. Bought my first one, a gunmetal two-tone J39601-70 from forum member Kurt 'Dizin9' (off the original Network54 SCWF), back in February 2010 - still got it.

It came fitted with a non-original multi-hole clasp (since replaced with the correct short style Orient logo'd clasp). But there was also an imbalance with the number of links on each side of the bracelet, so it wouldn't sit comfortably on my wrist. I wanted to re-distribute them, but the adjustment links wouldn't budge. That's when I treated myself to a pair of those pliers. Now, whenever I work on the bracelets on these watches, I've learned not to bother with my 'gash' screwdriver. I go straight for the A*F pliers. It just so happens that the 'push hole' at the end of the arrow is the perfect size. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Luck with making a pair of custom pliers, Dan. You'll need to case harden the tips if it's to succeed - and last. If you intend working on Seiko's (be they 7Axx's or 7Txxx's) long term, those A*F pliers are definitely a worthwhile investment @ around £20. In my experience, the reluctance of some bracelet link retainers to slide out easily can be down to dirt jammed behind them, but sometimes it's also because of their tight manufacturing tolerances - and particularly the size of the stamped 'pip'.

I first encountered a similar problem, 10 years ago, with the p/n SA160 bracelet used on the Orient J39x01-70 divers. Bought my first one, a gunmetal two-tone J39601-70 from forum member Kurt 'Dizin9' (off the original Network54 SCWF), back in February 2010 - still got it.

It came fitted with a non-original multi-hole clasp (since replaced with the correct short style Orient logo'd clasp). But there was also an imbalance with the number of links on each side of the bracelet, so it wouldn't sit comfortably on my wrist. I wanted to re-distribute them, but the adjustment links wouldn't budge. That's when I treated myself to a pair of those pliers. Now, whenever I work on the bracelets on these watches, I've learned not to bother with my 'gash' screwdriver. I go straight for the A*F pliers. It just so happens that the 'push hole' at the end of the arrow is the perfect size. ;)
Thanks Dazzler. I agree I may have to pop for a pair of these pliers, although I've already amended an old pair of small needle nose pliers and I'll see if that works...and lasts. Very nice looking Orient. Here in the US, I don't see many of those, though I do have a 7A38A that needs some love...it's in the "things need done" box. I'm sure everyone has horror stories, but some of these wrist watch bands are FILTHY. On the one hand, it's gross, but on the other hand, whoever wore it was one hard-working son of a gun. And who thinks to clean a wrist watch band when it's your daily time-teller? You and I might, but I never did before I got interested in this hobby. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts