The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently come into possession of two good examples of the Seiko 'White Helmet'.

The first is dated December 1975, reference 7100.
The second is dated September 1978, reference 7101.

It took me a little while to spot them, but there are differences between the two cases:

1. On the 7100, the crown notch stops a mm short of the bezel, while the 7101's notch is flush with the bezel.

2. The flat edge of the side that the pushers and crown are cut into is fatter on the 7100 than on the 7101, with the lower polished edge being fatter on the 7101 as a consequence.

7100:
7100 Ex1 1.jpg

7101:
7101 Ex2 4.jpg

3. I don't know whether this one is due to aftermarket parts, but the pushers on the 7100 are flat topped, while the ones on the 7101 have a chamfered edge.

7100:
7100 Ex1 5.jpg

7101:
7101 Ex2 5.jpg

4. The backplate on the 7100 has a very slightly larger diameter, and has a polished chamfer at the base.

7100:
7101 Ex1 4.jpg

7101:
7101 Ex2 3.jpg

5. Looking band-on at the case, the 7100 has a thinner cross section on the flat surface above the end link.

7100:
7100 Ex1 3.jpg

7101:
7101 Ex2 2.jpg

To add additional Confusion, I've looked at other 7101's on eBay and there are inconsistancies with th above, shown by the two examples below. Neither of these have the crown notch flush with the bezel like my example.

July 1978 7101:
7101 Ex3 7.jpg

August 1977 7101:
7101 Ex4 3.jpg

My research is ongoing and I'll keept this post updated. If anyone spots anything weird or aftermarket, let me know. Also, if you have a 7100 or 7101, upload your pictures so we can compare.

Thanks

·
Poet Laureate
896 Posts
Great research, thanks. Any chance you want to take some photos of these differences? It would be a great reference for everyone

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm the expert? So that's how it works.

Right then. I can only justify keeping one, so I'll take some pictures tomorrow and get this stuff documented properly.

Watch this space!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm the expert? So that's how it works.

Right then. I can only justify keeping one, so I'll take some pictures tomorrow and get this stuff documented properly.

Watch this space!
It sure is. All these amazing model variant guides in this forum are from people collecting and then meticulously documenting. It's why we know so much about 6309, 6217, 6105 divers and 6139 chronographs to name but a few.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone know how I can attach images? Just inserted Imgur links withy the 'Insert Image' function but nothing's showing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Photos now added to the initial post.

Also, for completeness sake, here's the front shots of my two examples:

7100:
7100 Ex1 3(1).jpg

7101:

7101 Ex2 1.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi! Congrats on your Helmets ! Actually both are the same model, the last digit only indicates the market where the watch was sold. Never seen one with the crown notch flushing with the bezel, more than likely it is caused by an over polished case. In this model this is very easy to notice this. The original finish of the case shows a swirl pattern as showed in the picture below impossible to replicate when refinishing. All the other differences you found point the same direction. Regards.
PS: click the picture to see it bigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi! Congrats on your Helmets ! Actually both are the same model, the last digit only indicates the market where the watch was sold. Never seen one with the crown notch flushing with the bezel, more than likely it is caused by an over polished case. In this model this is very easy to notice this. The original finish of the case shows a swirl pattern as showed in the picture below impossible to replicate when refinishing. All the other differences you found point the same direction. Regards.

Like you say, I'm beginning to belive there's something off with my 7101 as I've not found any others with a notch flush with the bezel.

However, both do still have to original banded finish - my crappy iPhone camera doesn't do a good job of showing it. As such, the 7101 hasn't been over-polished. The only thing I can think of is that the entire top of the case has been removed - or the crown notch has been extended.

My main concern with the two models I have lies with the pushers. The 7100 is in better condition than the 7101 so is likely going to be the one I keep. However, striving for originality, the mismatch in pushers makes me wonder whether one of the two models has aftermarket pushers. I have 3 6139 6002/6005's and a 6139 6012 and all have pushers with a bevelled top. This makes me suspect the 7100 as having the wrong pushers. The crown looks correct on the 7100, unlike the 7101 which has a smaller, gold crown, but stangely enough the 7101 quickset works perfectly while the 7100 won't push in far enough to change the day wheel. This really is a rabbit hole.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The white and black helmets are the 6139s I know the least about. But I do like the case style, it reminds me of an Omega Flightmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry but..I always thought Seiko 6139-7100 is called Helmet because of dial,chapter and hands different from the 7101 Vader.
7100 is the white shade variation, and the 7101 the black one.
Case,pushers and crown are the same,according to JB database.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry but..I always thought Seiko 6139-7100 is called Helmet because of dial,chapter and hands different from the 7101 Vader.
7100 is the white shade variation, and the 7101 the black one.
Case,pushers and crown are the same,according to JB database.
You were wrong. Both( helmet and darth vader) are nicknames of the same model which was available in two different colours. The last number of the model was referred to the market where the individual watch was intended to be sold. Regards.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
They were made years apart and i believe all the case work back in the day was still done by hand. So i wouldnt be surprised there are small differences in the case. Same goes for bullheads, i noticed some slight variation in cases there too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You were wrong. Both( helmet and darth vader) are nicknames of the same model which was available in two different colours. The last number of the model was referred to the market where the individual watch was intended to be sold. Regards.
I checked (and double checked), you're right.

Some says it depends of country,year and the bracelet.

According to Seiko's old advert 710X can be white or black.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts