The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got my orange monster today in the mail, and i slipped it on, and it seemed too small, so i took the extra link that the seller had included and went down to the mall to have it installed. now mind you before i gave the watch to watch kiosk guy, i had to use the wetsuit extender to even get the watch to fully clasp close so it seems the pins were good in the link as the guy had to use a drift punch and jewelers hammer to get the pins out. well the guy knocks the pins out, installs the pins back in, and hands it to me, and i mention that the pins need to go back in further as the dimpled head was only flush with the link and not inset like the other ones on the band. so he uses his drift and tiny hammer and they look like they are all good, i pay the $5 for the install and go on my way, well fast forwards 7 hours, and im doing photo shoots for a club and all of a sudden i can feel my watch band come undone and the watch falls (thank god no damage to actual watch), and i find the extra link and pins (both pins of the link came out) and store it in the DJ booth, well at the end of the night (about 2 hours ago) i try putting hte pins in the bracelet and the glide easily all the way thru. so that there is no friction holding in the pins. now my question is, does the guy need to install new pins cause maybe the pins are worn out, or has he F'd up my bracelet and needs to get me a new one? . this guy had about 30-40 seikos in his kiosk so i assumed he knew them, but then when he tried selling me on some yellow dial 7s26 and i told him i didnt want it cause it was a malaysian made one he tried saying oh no its asian movement, so i dont think all his marbles were there.

thanks

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
It sounds to me like he didnt properly install the collars on the pins.
The links without the pins & collars cant hold the bracelet.
Do you still have the collars?

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, the pin has to go through the sleeves to stay in place securely. Now, did you see the small tiny sleeves with the pin and the extra link when you received the watch from the seller? Otherwise, the watchmaker just installed what you gave him, and from what I read you didn't mention anything about the pin sleeves. The bracelet came apart and it wasn't the watchmaker's fault. O0

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
This is such a common problem with this type of bracelet, best way is to learn how to do it yourself, it is very straight forward and at least you will know it was done correctly.

Geran

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so apparently he didnt reinstall the first collar, but the second pin with the extra link didnt come with the collar. so i guess its half and half ? ie i should of only lost one pin and that would of been my fault but both parts came out, so ill go talk to him

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
some times they collars stick on the pin and they are hard to see.
And sometimes I find the collars are still inside the links!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys, i went and talked to the people and they gave me the whole "oh you can leave the watch with us and we will fix it" yeah right, not with how hard it is to find these watches and if you cant change a link then what makes me feel comfortable leaving the watch. so monday i have to go back and see the manager.

now what do yall think is the best thing i can offer the manager as far as problem resolution, i thought either a replacement bracelet from coserv (not some aftermarket band) or to order the replacement links and pins and collars. the thing is, that i dont know if its normal or if the watch monkey somehow ruined the links or the pins, is that the pins that fell out, go completely thru and thru on the add a link and on the last watch link that it was connected to, as in maybe he enlarged the link hole while driving the pin thru or he sheared/reduced the head diameter of the pin that has the one side built on.

so in plain english that i cannot just insert the pin and it will stop and then would be able to hold in place with the spring collar, instead i can start at one end and without any force it will go thru the first part of the link, thru the connecting link and out the other side of the first link.

thanks

·
Registered
822 Posts
Without a doubt the tiny C-section collars that hold the pins in position are missing, and this is why the pins just push straight through to the other side and fall out. When the collar is correctly installed in the link and the pin is then correctly inserted into the collar, the pin is firmly held and cannot move. Here's how it should be done (extracted from a previous post of mine):

First, assemble your tools.

The use of a tea-towel or similar soft cloth is essential if you don't want to be crawling around on the floor for ages, trying to find one of those collars. It also protects the bracelet and crystal from scratches whilst you're working.
The resizing tool makes life so much easier that I'd be inclined to say it's essential, too. You [i]can[/i] use a pin punch and watchmaker's hammer, but the tool not only simplifies the job, it protects the collars against damage as well. The loupe is for old buggers like me so we can see what we're doing, the tweezers are for picking up the collars (they are [i]really[/i] small), the pen and spare pin punch are for replacing the collars, and the springbar tool is for opening the bracelet. OK, here we go.

1. Use the springbar tool to push in the end of the springbar holding the bracelet to the clasp, and open the bracelet so it lies flat. This makes it much easier to work on.

2. Determine how many links you need to remove. As a guide, my wrist is 7.5" and I needed to remove three links, two on one side and one on the other. Try to leave the clasp centred on the underside of your wrist.

3. Lay the bracelet in the resizing tool and adjust the height of the platform if need be by turning the adjusting screw (the small knurled one at the end). This is so the pin punch is centred in the link hole. The lower photo shows how the platform is sloped.

[img]

[img]

4. Once everything is lined up correctly, slowly turn the big plastic handle to push out the pin in the direction of the arrow. Note that you will be pushing at the end where the collar is, so the punch must be small enough to fit inside the collar, otherwise you won't be able to budge the pin. Also note that you may end up with the collar on the end of the punch when you withdraw it. This is OK, just remove it from the punch and put it in a safe place.

[img]

[img]

The first pic (above) shows the collar at the bottom of the link and the shouldered pin at the top. The lower pic shows what they look like with the link separated.

BE VERY CAREFUL YOU DON'T LOSE THE COLLAR OR THE PIN, AS WHEN THEY ARE SEPARATE THEY ARE BOTH A LOOSE FIT IN THE LINK HOLE. ALSO, THE COLLARS ARE ONLY 3MM LONG SO DON'T BRUSH THEM OFF THE TABLE ACCIDENTALLY, THINKING THEY ARE CAKE CRUMBS (Can you believe I actually did this? Luckily I found it again on the parquet wood floor [img]http://www.network54.com/images/happy.gif)

I found the pin pushed out very easily, which tends to support Cabbai's recent post that Seiko may have slightly adjusted the size of the pin/collar arrangement on new Monster bracelets to make it less tight in the link hole.

OK, we've done the easy part—now for the hard part...putting the links together again!

[img]

5. Slide together the two links to be joined. Using the tweezers, put the collar into the link hole at the end with the arrow, then push the pin into the link from the opposite end and gently into the tip of the collar. Use a ball-point pen or similar to hold the collar in place, and gently apply force to the pin punch to slide the pin into the collar. I found this to be the hardest bit of the whole operation to get right. It takes a bit of practice. Getting the right sized pen is important, as it must be big enough to push on the collar and not so thin as to prevent the pin sliding into it.
Ensure the pin is actually engaged in the collar, and that both the collar and the pin shoulder are recessed somewhat into their respective holes (i.e. not flush with the ends or sticking out of the hole). Attach the bracelet to the clasp and voilà! You've finished!

You may want to show this to the manager, so he can see how the parts should fit together. It's very common for people not familiar with Seiko's pin-and-collar system to lose the collars when adjusting bracelets, as they're so tiny. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
mob said:
ok guys, i went and talked to the people and they gave me the whole "oh you can leave the watch with us and we will fix it" yeah right, not with how hard it is to find these watches and if you cant change a link then what makes me feel comfortable leaving the watch. so monday i have to go back and see the manager.

now what do yall think is the best thing i can offer the manager as far as problem resolution, i thought either a replacement bracelet from coserv (not some aftermarket band) or to order the replacement links and pins and collars. the thing is, that i dont know if its normal or if the watch monkey somehow ruined the links or the pins, is that the pins that fell out, go completely thru and thru on the add a link and on the last watch link that it was connected to, as in maybe he enlarged the link hole while driving the pin thru or he sheared/reduced the head diameter of the pin that has the one side built on.

so in plain english that i cannot just insert the pin and it will stop and then would be able to hold in place with the spring collar, instead i can start at one end and without any force it will go thru the first part of the link, thru the connecting link and out the other side of the first link.

thanks
Look at your pins and see if they look like Les's post above. One end should be thicker than the other. Almost like a head. I suspect they replaced some of your pins with regular split pins.

In any event...replacement pins, collars and links should be easy enough to get from COSERV. You can even do it yourself as I believe they will send you 3 links for free (even for JDM models!). You just have to provide the caliber-case code off the back of the watch. You can also get replacements from yobokies, but he'll charge you for them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well guys, i went and talked to the manager /"head jeweler" . i told him what was going on and what his previous employee had done. and he apologized and was willing to order the parts and all, but he said i would have to leave the watch with him until he could get the parts in from Seiko. to which i replied that i would give him the sk model number and case back info and he could order it and i would return when the stuff was in, and they he says no he cant do that because just in case "seiko needs the internal numbers and i have to remove the caseback" , call me anal retentive but im not going to leave a watch that is hard to find with a company that has already screwed up once. i dont think so, and hell if i can order the links thru here and im an outsider then why the hell do you need to open up a sealed watch that he may not correctly seal again, i saw his work area in plain sight and there was not a pressure tank (as ive seen with my personal Rolex repair guy). so in the end he refunded the price of what his employee charged me, which he gave me the spiel of how it was too cheap and hes going to yell at his employee for charging such a low price.

and to think, this guy is a Seiko retailer , lol maybe the first clue was when they tried telling me a Seiko diver that had Malaysia at the bottom of the dial was a Japanese movement :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
The man is lying about ordering the parts or he is stupid.
All appearance parts are ordered by using the case number. There are no numbers inside the case except the caliber of the movement which, also, happens to be the first 4 numbers of the case number. You can also use the band # which is stamped on the end pieces. I suggest you call COSERV and order the pints and collars and install yourself.

Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im guessing he is stupid, i think he was wanting to do a parts swapout if ya know what i mean. the only place that my seikos will go is to coserv or one of you trusted repair guys on here. im not going to post the name on here as to not blast him, but anyone in FL or orlando area PM me and ill let you know the place to avoid

·
Registered
77 Posts
Let me have the case number and I'll order you a couple of pins from COSERV. I might be able to get extra links at no charge too.

Ken

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
KenS said:
Let me have the case number and I'll order you a couple of pins from COSERV. I might be able to get extra links at no charge too.

Ken
Ken,

The "Monster" is 7S26-0350.

Best,
Myles

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
mob said:
ken, whats the best step to contact you to get the links and pins?

thanks
[size=1em]Mob,

Call Coserv at
[size=1em]1-800-722-4452. Tell them you need a few bracelet links for the 7S26-0350. They'll provide them gratis.

Best,
Myles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts