The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside of the 6117 World Time series, did Seiko make a true GMT automatic watch with ability to set independent hour hand for tracking multiple time zones similar to a Rolex GMT? Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I had this little (I do mean little) beauty of a 5619-7010. The GMT is totally independent. Wore it on a trip to Europe for fun, it proved just too darn small for my liking so I moved it on. It measures 37mm but wears a ton smaller.

They are seriously fragile mechanisms, mine worked perfectly but many if not most do not set with the 24 hour hand due to the brittle nature of the plastic inner workings.

5619 1.JPG

·
Special Member
2,695 Posts
Not a "true" GMT as the GMT Hand cannot be set independently but a 6139 Custom GMT Mod that I recently received. Watch is running perfectly including the 24 Hour GMT Hand (rotates once in 24 hours) and Chrono Hands (both reset crisply to Zero). Watch has a custom made Dial and custom made 24 Hour Inner Ring (inner ring rotates smoothly from the crown). I have not had the chance to open the movement up yet but I am sure that the modder has used the day indicator drive train to operate the GMT hand. I should take some new photos as the watch is surprisingly much nicer than I originally thought it would be. Printing on the Dial and Inner Ring is Very Good.

6139 GMT (seller's photo)

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Wow Kyle that is way cool. The 24 hour that shows the military hour (lets you know AM from PM) is a really amazing addition to our beloved 6139 caliber. I guess you just add the 6117 parts to the train. So much like a 6117 Navigator if you will.

A seriously unique and major appealing mod !

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not a "true" GMT as the GMT Hand cannot be set independently but a 6139 Custom GMT Mod that I recently received. Watch is running perfectly including the 24 Hour GMT Hand (rotates once in 24 hours) and Chrono Hands (both reset crisply to Zero). Watch has a custom made Dial and custom made 24 Hour Inner Ring (inner ring rotates smoothly from the crown). I have not had the chance to open the movement up yet but I am sure that the modder has used the day indicator drive train to operate the GMT hand. I should take some new photos as the watch is surprisingly much nicer than I originally thought it would be. Printing on the Dial and Inner Ring is Very Good.

That is very clever.

·
Premium Member
9,726 Posts
that is one helluva mod! really cool ....

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Kyle, I saw your post on this custom 6139 a while back. Really unique and cool piece. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,695 Posts
Wow... Now that is what I would call a Proper Crown and Proper Pushers :) From the photo it looks like the Pushers are even larger than the crown. I love it ... Bigger is Better ... and a true GMT function. Beautiful!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Landmaster AGS and Kinetic does have an independent hour hand that can be adjusted on the fly.... maybe not vintage enough but early 1990s!

·
Special Member
2,695 Posts
I forgot to mention that as an additional feature the 6139 Custom GMT also has a Hacking Function. Pull the Crown out 1 Stop to Set the Date and 2 stops to Hack and Set the Time. AFAIK the 6139 movement (Both A and B) never had a Hacking Feature.

The GMT function is one of my favorite complications on a watch. The 24 Hour GMT Hand would be perfect in a Submarine when there is no natural daylight. The Hacking feature would also be very useful for any Military when precise timing and logistics are needed. The GMT function in combination with the 24 Hour Inner Bezel would be great for a Commercial Pilot or any International Traveler who needs to keep track of 2 different time zones.

I originally bought this Reproduction SpeedTimer Bracelet for a 6139-6002 Sunrise but have since found an Original. I Installed the Reproduction SpeedTimer Bracelet on the 6139 Custom GMT.

I have another 4 or 5 incoming Seiko's so at this point I'm not sure if the 6139 Custom GMT is going to be a Keeper ;)

·
Special Member
2,695 Posts
I just checked out the Crown and I can easily swap out the Oversized 6309 crown back to an original 6139 crown that sits flush with the case :)

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I have this Seiko 5619 gmt in the collection. It's way too small to wear, but it's an interesting bit of Seiko history...

http://instagr.am/p/CCSYBstHxpl/
My thoughts exactly after wearing it for a full weekend. Super super vintage cool but just too small to wear.

In front of a church in Kinsale Ireland built in 1190. In America we have no such thing it just blows me away.
20180511_085615-1.jpg
20180511_085203.jpg

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I forgot to mention that as an additional feature the 6139 Custom GMT also has a Hacking Function. Pull the Crown out 1 Stop to Set the Date and 2 stops to Hack and Set the Time. AFAIK the 6139 movement (Both A and B) never had a Hacking Feature.
Wow the features on this mod just keep on coming !

The hacking most certainly comes from the 6117 base used to get the GMT hand. The 6117 is a hacking movement.

And yes no 6139 ever made could hack.

Until now maybe....

·
Special Member
2,695 Posts
Wow the features on this mod just keep on coming !

The hacking most certainly comes from the 6117 base used to get the GMT hand. The 6117 is a hacking movement.

And yes no 6139 ever made could hack.

Until now maybe....

I am very tempted to take off the 6139 Custom GMT Dial and Hands just to take a better look at the movement. I would like to see how the modder has installed the Hacking and GMT 24 Hour function. My understanding is the underside of the 6117 Dial has a recessed area for the extra 24 Hour GMT Wheel.

Seiko 6117 Dial Recess

Seiko 6117 24 Hour GMT Wheel

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Doing away with the push-correction for the calendar is even more impressive from a technical standpoint, as the mainplate are setting parts are designed for push-correction. Perhaps they used aspects of the 6117 setting?

·
Special Member
2,695 Posts
Doing away with the push-correction for the calendar is even more impressive from a technical standpoint, as the mainplate are setting parts are designed for push-correction. Perhaps they used aspects of the 6117 setting?

I was totally surpised as like all 6139 movements I was expecting a push in of the Crown to change the date. But the Crown needs to be pulled out 1 stop to set the date and 2nd stop to Hack and Set the Time.

IMO the 6139 movement is a very advanced and complicated movement - really a marvel of watch engineering. But this watch has been taken to a completely new and different level :)

I would like to open the 6139 movement up to take a better look but I would not even know what I am looking at. I believe it would be much better that a highly skilled watchmaker who is very familiar with working on these movements analyzes the modifications that were made to the watch . . . certainly not Me ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts