The Watch Site banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Definitely closer to what I think would be more popular.
but X/PS and not original font.

And real Seiko logo new chocolate bar, waffle, and tire tread straps should be a hit.

With a street price of 500$ I think they would sell four times as many as they would with a 1000$ street price.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
You have to feel for the likes of Seiko as we are very hard to please because I am the opposite to Kyle as the more I look at it the less likely I am to ever want one :)
I will buy one but only because I can not afford a decent original 6105 and the size looks more suitable for me than the 45mm Turtle reissues. Got to agree with others, the original 6309 turtles are way more nicer to wear.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I will buy one but only because I can not afford a decent original 6105 and the size looks more suitable for me than the 45mm Turtle reissues. Got to agree with others, the original 6309 turtles are way more nicer to wear.
i couldn't agree with you more, and i've even tried whittling the srp's down...the truth is, the 6309 was a pretty large watch for any era, and didn't need to get bigger...i thought seiko was whittling down the thickness of the 6105 when
they said "significantly slimmer", and i didn't realize they were actually saying " slightly less obese " :)

i'll be curious to see the actual dimensions of this watch, and would consider buying one. if it were $500, there's be
no consideration involved, i'd just buy one.

i am really glad they got the bezel-edge radial visual quality of the original back, that's very important to this watch's looks, i think. the sla033, at 14mm thick and no chamfered bezel, well, no, i wouldn't have bought that one for $500....

·
Registered
174 Posts
As many others, I was very excited about this watch, but in the end gave up on getting one because I just didn't feel it and didn't want to end up regretting buying it once all the little things I don't like about it start bothering me. I decided to get a Marinemaster instead, as "the one" watch that I will wear daily. I contacted the AD this week to enquire about prices and availability, long story short I was offered SLA033 for the price of a Marinemaster and ended up buying it instead ( still not quite sure if I did the right thing though :) ). Anyway just wanted to confirm what someone already stated above, SLA033 can be acquired for a much better price than it was the case a year ago. 🍻

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I'm still excited by it, and I'd like to be getting one of them at some point this year. Cool Seiko imo. I'd probably not pay the same price for an 033.😏🙂

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are your thoughts on this vs the King Turtle line? A bit apples and oranges, yes, and yet the KT offers a lot for a contemporary Seiko at a decent price point. I quite like it, and I'm not a diver guy. There is the Cyclops, gack, but I might be able to overlook it....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
An AD here in Calgary is taking pre-orders for the green dial version for $1495 CAD with availability in August. No rush here. I'm more interested in the SPB157J1 ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
What are your thoughts on this vs the King Turtle line? A bit apples and oranges, yes, and yet the KT offers a lot for a contemporary Seiko at a decent price point. I quite like it, and I'm not a diver guy. There is the Cyclops, gack, but I might be able to overlook it....
To me King turtle has completely different, I would say modern military feel to it, because of the dial and bezel texture. It's a nice watch but I guess (and that's just me) one could grow tired of that style with time, while SPB151 follows the iconic and timeless design which looked equally great in the past as it will in the future, so I would personally give it an advantage there. King Turtle comes with a ceramic insert, SPB151 with a better movement, 70h power reserve, and double the price. There are a lot of people waiting to get it so I guess the price is correct, but I personally expected a bit more for the price. It's hard to tell from the available photos, but to me it seems that the level of finishing is the same as with the Turtle. That said, I ultimately decided to go for SLA033 but the option I also considered was the older SRP777 (around 300USD) with one of those sharp coin edge aftermarket bezels and aftermarket bracelet.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
well, the hype was too good to be true. "sleeker" and "slimmer" translates into one dimension being 1.3mm smaller,
but another crucial dimension, thickness, or depth, has been increased by 2mm to 15mm thick, according to fratello.
i had splurged, and put a downpayment on one, and i got my "non-refundable" down payment back by hitting them
with seiko's adjectives, and then the facts.

it's so stupid that after 50m years, seiko can't even reproduce a 13mm thick watch, i mean, i have come to expect any seiko diver to be 13mm thick or so, even though Nth can make a 300m dive watch 11mm thick. and honestly, to me, 13mm is about as thick as i want to go. so this "sleeker" and "slimmer" watch is actually obese, i guess that's what they think of the american market. and maybe they're right, let's see how they sell. i am not gonna pay $1,300 to try to cram that fatso under my sleeves....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
well, the hype was too good to be true. "sleeker" and "slimmer" translates into one dimension being 1.3mm smaller,
but another crucial dimension, thickness, or depth, has been increased by 2mm to 15mm thick, according to fratello.
i had splurged, and put a downpayment on one, and i got my "non-refundable" down payment back by hitting them
with seiko's adjectives, and then the facts.

it's so stupid that after 50m years, seiko can't even reproduce a 13mm thick watch, i mean, i have come to expect any seiko diver to be 13mm thick or so, even though Nth can make a 300m dive watch 11mm thick. and honestly, to me, 13mm is about as thick as i want to go. so this "sleeker" and "slimmer" watch is actually obese, i guess that's what they think of the american market. and maybe they're right, let's see how they sell. i am not gonna pay $1,300 to try to cram that fatso under my sleeves....
well, my bad. i often advise people not top believe what they read...i read in an on-line watch journal that the spb151 was 15mm thick, that's what they wrote, and it was a dimension that i was sort of waiting to hear about. and if the watch were 15mm, well, i think it would be obese.

only problem is, it's not 15mm. according to seiko, it's 13.2 mm, which is pretty standard. i have cancelled
the watch i had ordered, but 13.2 mm is acceptable to me in a dive watch, and i'm soirry to have spread misinformation, that was not my intention at all.

so, to repeat, it's a normal seiko dive watch thickness, there's a limited edition sla-blah-blah that costs over 6 grand and measures 14.7mm, and that's laughable, to me, especially at that price. but the spb is a very normal thickness.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
well, my bad. i often advise people not top believe what they read...i read in an on-line watch journal that the spb151 was 15mm thick, that's what they wrote, and it was a dimension that i was sort of waiting to hear about. and if the watch were 15mm, well, i think it would be obese.

only problem is, it's not 15mm. according to seiko, it's 13.2 mm, which is pretty standard. i have cancelled
the watch i had ordered, but 13.2 mm is acceptable to me in a dive watch, and i'm soirry to have spread misinformation, that was not my intention at all.

so, to repeat, it's a normal seiko dive watch thickness, there's a limited edition sla-blah-blah that costs over 6 grand and measures 14.7mm, and that's laughable, to me, especially at that price. but the spb is a very normal thickness.
ok.

well, i don't know what to think now. the writer from fratello measured an spb151, and he measured 15mm from the caseback to the top of the dome. could it be that seiko is measuring from caseback to bezel? that would be really misleading....plus 13.2 mm is "normal" for a seiko diver. execept for expensive limited editions, these it seems are
fatter than 13mm...( sla017, sla033, new "62mas" limited edition which is 1.5 mm fatter than the cheaper "62mas"
that are coming out.) or is it possible the watch is still not finished, dimensions are not set in stone? i do not know...

101 - 114 of 114 Posts